Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1418844540' post='2634052']

My band are Amateurs and we don't use stands. Does that make us Pros?
But we do faff too much between songs. So that makes us Amateurs again.
If you shut us in a box, would we be Pros and Amateurs at the same time? :D
[/quote]

Perhaps we need to discuss the more philosophical Pro / Am topic with the music stands merely being a subject on the periphery of the debate.....

😲

Best gig I've ever seen in my life was Chic at Love Supreme last year, without a doubt the most energetic professional note perfect engaging and breathtaking performace (of well over an hours material) I have ever seen.

If I'd only known what we have learnt on this thread, then I would have done the right thing and turned tail and walked out the moment I noticed the ipads on the horn sections stands and the keyboard player's stand. Dammit I was conned, how do I get my money back?

Seriously, though, music stands can be fine even on an uptempo pub gig for those bands that can actually get away with it IMO. Horns regularly use them, my own horn section use stands, and we have long improvised sections where the horn section lead chooses what each player is goin gto play at a given moment in some cases, in others she is capable of writing out parts on the fly for two other players by ear, whilst working out her own part and harmonising further with a vocal harmoniser on her trumpet. You cant do that with a tablet! To clarify the horns take a break in an improv section for 8 bars whilst someone else is taking some spotlight, or just as a dynamic rest, in which she can come up with a new part for the section, communicate it to them and be ready to count it in in 8 bars. Its unbelievably impressive!

Last gig we played was in a pub in North East London, we had two music stands fo rthe horns, none for anyone else. We have never played this place before, but the punters are there to hear funk (funk DJs playing before we went on, lovely selection of rare groove). We aren't your archetypal happy funk band, we're really dark instrumental jazz tinged funk inspired by the likes of Lalo Schifrin and Roy Bud circa 70-75 (nichje or what!).

No one left because of the stands, no one commented on the stands, the gig went brilliantly, masses of compliments in between the sets, and people dancing for the entire show.

I personally think the fact that we have really tightened the gaps between the tracks up and the fact that ther is enough to look at (I boogie around a bit and am very focused on as my eye contact with punters as possible, the rest of the band are in various states of 'in the zone') mean that no one is off put by the stands.

Hell we even had people commenting on what a great keys player we have, and he had to sit off stage (not enough room), - fair play though he is very very funky, but thats still not natural ;).

I am the first to admit we were in the right venue on the right night with the right crowd, but we had a blinding gig and entertained a packed venue to a huge collection of punters. Music stands are irrelevant to that IME.

I'm the bass player in our band, but also the singer and I find that when I'm singing, seven times out of ten, my eyes are closed, which means , stand or not, I'm not engaging the audience with eye contact. I wonder, do all the " professionals " amongst you who sing and play, do the same or are you continuously bonding with the masses?
I am a firm believer that as long as you are making a decent noise in a pub, no one gives a jot, what's beside you onstage

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1418973110' post='2635285']
I'm the bass player in our band, but also the singer and I find that when I'm singing, seven times out of ten, my eyes are closed, which means , stand or not, I'm not engaging the audience with eye contact. I wonder, do all the " professionals " amongst you who sing and play, do the same or are you continuously bonding with the masses?
I am a firm believer that as long as you are making a decent noise in a pub, no one gives a jot, what's beside you onstage
[/quote]

Ditto

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1418895783' post='2634491']
I reckon the blues brothers had the lyrics taped to the inside of their sunglasses
[/quote]
I find that when I'm singing, seven times out of ten, my eyes are closed,
[/quote]

Ubit's gone one better and had them tattooed to the insides of his eyelids :o

Plenty of bands have plenty of reasons why you wouldn't stay...
You just have to make up your mind when you have 'seen' enough.

Bands around here making a bit of a buzz will get you there...whether you stay
20 or 40 mins depends on a lot of things. A set is generally enough for me
and thanks god for half time breaks.. :lol: :lol:

As an experienced player who sometimes uses a stand (discreetly placed to the side of the PA and hidden as much as possible) this thread brought back a memory of a fateful gig.
I was asked to play a one-off show with a local church ceilidh band for a dance and learnt a few tunes that I definitely needed prompts and reminders for.
There were about 10 players on this old church hall stage and come the night of the gig I set my amp up, sat on my chair (they do that at ceilidh gigs) placed my music stand in front of me and arranged my music sheets in good order.
The band leader counted in the first tune and at that initial mighty 'daddaaa' that begins every Scottish Country Dance tune everyone on the stage began to stamp their feet in time and my music stand fell over scattering paper all over the stage.

They didn't miss a beat and one shame-faced bass player busked his way through the first tune extremely red of face.

Does Bass Chat have an on the night disasters forum? :unsure:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1418979012' post='2635340']
If they're not making eye contact, I just leave. I'm not hanging around at a gig where the performers can't be bothered to stare me straight in the eye. It's the main reason I never bothered to see Stevie Wonder
[/quote]

I played a bikers gig the other week and I never made eye contact once! Too bloomin scared and the first time I have kept my mouth shut during a gig.

Nice guys but a bit scary looking. :unsure:[size=4] [/size]

[/quote]
True, but pubs are struggling audiences are dwindling and they pay the bands peanuts.
Chic are a good example to what I am trying to say because It doesn't matter that some members of Chic use stands/IPods because they have enough charismatic performers up front, they create great a atmosphere, in other words they put on a good show. The problem is when there are 3 or four people on a small stage whose only idea of performance and presentation is to put some tinsel round their music stand at Christmas.
Play for the audience not in spite of them, I think the days are gone when it is enough to say look at me I am playing an instrument, most people find that boring unless you are exceptional or unique.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare us with Chic. They are an extremely successful, multi platinum selling band and we're not!
There's a reason for this, not least of which is the fact that we are playing other people's songs. I would love to put on a show and go the full hog , and don't get me wrong, when we were younger, we really went for it. Thing is, these days , if I was to jump around onstage and shout " are you ready to rock people?" I would be regarded in these parts as a tosser. I know a lot of the people who come to see us, plus We are all starting to get a bit older. We have to put on a slightly more dignified show. It's not like we stand like statues all night, plus our "stage" is just usually on the floor at the end of the bar with very little room for rock poses. We do make a little effort. I've seen many bands on huge stages who don't run around all over the place and yet who have captivated me. I've seen bands who do nothing but run around, and that's great too.
As for exceptional or unique, we regard ourselves as pretty good. We play rock covers mixed with traditional music rocked up a bit, so it is a bit unique for this town, although not completely unheard of in this area.

I like to think that by playing good music and at least looking like I'm enjoying myself, is enough round here to make people think, I like these.