Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1418146425' post='2627373']
Why are function bands let off the hook?
[/quote]
Because it's a different type of show with different expectations from the audience. As someone said earlier, a live jukebox in the corner where the event itself is the main attraction rather than the actual band...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1418146425' post='2627373']
Why are function bands let off the hook?
[/quote]
Its likely that a pro function band will have more deps both more often and more of them at once, a band gigging all year round maybe 3 times a week will have people off sick, maternity leave, holidays, work with other bands etc just like us weekend warriors do with our regular jobs, I dont need a set of instructions for my day job but someone bought in to cover my job would for some parts of it, a dep glued to a chart for Mustang Sally might not be the go to guy I agree.

The other thing is the fact they are more likely to be playing up to date music almost as quick as it hits the charts (excuse the pun) , or themed music or requested music for first dances etc which are often not known songs worth learning for the regular set.

I'm sure there are other good reasons I've missed? :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418148518' post='2627399']
Its likely that a pro function band will have more deps both more often and more of them at once, a band gigging all year round maybe 3 times a week will have people off sick, maternity leave, holidays, work with other bands etc just like us weekend warriors do with our regular jobs, I dont need a set of instructions for my day job but someone bought in to cover my job would for some parts of it, a dep glued to a chart for Mustang Sally might not be the go to guy I agree.

The other thing is the fact they are more likely to be playing up to date music almost as quick as it hits the charts (excuse the pun) , or themed music or requested music for first dances etc which are often not known songs worth learning for the regular set.

I'm sure there are other good reasons I've missed? :)
[/quote]

Well, they all sound pretty flimsy excuses to me ;)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1418148735' post='2627404']

[/quote]
If I offered you a gig for thursday night, 35 songs, 15 you know, 10 you have heard before, 10 are totally new to you and half of the set is in a different key to the record could you do it without any notes at all? Good on you if you can but some people think its ok to take 6 months to learn 20 songs to start a band up with a weekly practice and even then might use notes so I just dont see the problem.

Fwiw my own stand has never left the house.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1418148735' post='2627404']
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418149162' post='2627415']
If I offered you a gig for thursday night, 35 songs, 15 you know, 10 you have heard before, 10 are totally new to you and half of the set is in a different key to the record could you do it without any notes at all? Good on you if you can but some people think its ok to take 6 months to learn 20 songs to start a band up with a weekly practice and even then might use notes so I just dont see the problem.

Fwiw my own stand has never left the house.
[/quote]

It were a joke, if a flimsy one...

COAT ON AND AWAY WE GO

:)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1418149579' post='2627422']
My question is this:

Should a more professional player who in essence doesn't need a music stand still carry a music stand with him or her, because they are more professional and it would be unprofessional to need one on occasion and not to have one?
[/quote]

Dont forget the spare one too.

Anyway, back on topic.

The singer in my last band was absolutely brilliant. She had a great voice and not even at rehearsal did she bring any sheets with lyrics on...on top of that she was playing guitar and had to learn all those parts as well. I was very impressed as every other singer seems to use a stand etc.

However, I have watched pub bands where the singer has a stand and they've still been great entertainment

A friends band where playing nearby on new years eve and have pulled out due to the not being able to get a dep drummer, the pub have booked another band already and I think we will still go.

However after reading this thread I am going to email to band from the Facebook page and the venue in order to confirm if any music stands are going to be used, in which case I will change my plans and go somewhere else in an effort to avoid them.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418149703' post='2627427']
ha oh right, :lol:
[/quote]

I couldn't believe you missed that... :lol: :lol: being a bit serious there.

As for dropping in at the last min... then you'd tell the band that you'd work from a pad...
but I'd probably not want to take it from a band that couldn't blag a 90 mins of stuff at a pub gig
without it being obvious the gig was depped...

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1418119809' post='2626938']
Really? So he went to the gig without knowing who Robin Trower was? Or knew of him and heard his music but thought that somehow on the night RT would change the way he played? Some people just amaze me at times. I trust that he was your 'last tutor' because he is now a multi million dollar seller/songwriter. good luck to him if he is.
This is not about your post, but the tutors comment. :)
[/quote]I believe he knew who he was, and heard is music. He is no multi millionaire from music either. He also wasn`t very complimentary about Eric Clapton. He said he is a good entertainer, but not a good guitarist, who just had some lucky breaks playing with far better players than himself. He was more into Al Di Meola and that type i think. Yes he is also my ex tutor.
Anyway, the story reminded me of how musicians may notice things that most people wouldn`t care about.

Edited by timmo

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1418150549' post='2627445']
Understand, Overstand or Music Stand Free.....

Some will be too young to remember the Wombles

:)
[/quote]

But not icastle, he loves 'em. Or he use to play with them, or something. Or so the rumour goes. :ph34r:
He'll be along in a minute to deny it.

:P

I had to get the music out last night for an impromtu 'Merry Xmas' song as a punter wanted to do it
and as the party was for a bunch of bankers, they were happy to splash extra for it...
The dep drummer had his charts up all night... but filed under function gig :lol:
He still played his a*** off so we forgave him :lol: :lol:

Anyone want a dep drummer who will put his time in, and some.. in the Surrey/West London area..?
He would be a boon to any gig.. One of the best guys we had in the year.