Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418737462' post='2632810']
I've played gigs where we all had black music stands with the band name on it because that's the image the band leader wanted. I had no music on it though!
[/quote]

That kinda turns the thread around a little

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1418746641' post='2632915']
So that's when people say to themselves: 'Ah proper musicians with music stands, I think I'll stay.'
[/quote]

But how would you know, they might stare at them just to trick you ?

It's all about marketing and deciding what kind of people you want to your gig.

Is Simon Cowell marketing X-Factor to as many people as possible and creating a bland content or is he targeting a certain market? Are middle aged bass players part of his target audience.

What do we actually lose if someone walks out of a gig because we're using music stands? Who knows? Maybe ten other people stay because we are?

Who do we want at our gigs? We're marketing to people who will jump about and drink loads of beer. Not to some muso nursing his one pint of real ale who comments on the bass player because he's not playing the exact line as played on the single even though he has the music in front of him.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418748387' post='2632936']
Are middle-aged bass players part of his target audience?
[/quote]

Not this middle-aged bass player, no. Though there are those among us who dream of running our fingers through Simon's badger-arse hair and twanging the ridiculously-high waistband of his trousers as they flick through his five-CD music collection, I'm sure.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418748387' post='2632936']
It's all about marketing and deciding what kind of people you want to your gig.

Is Simon Cowell marketing X-Factor to as many people as possible and creating a bland content or is he targeting a certain market? Are middle aged bass players part of his target audience.

What do we actually lose if someone walks out of a gig because we're using music stands? Who knows? Maybe ten other people stay because we are?

Who do we want at our gigs? We're marketing to people who will jump about and drink loads of beer. Not to some muso nursing his one pint of real ale who comments on the bass player because he's not playing the exact line as played on the single even though he has the music in front of him.

[/quote]

At last, someone speaketh the truth, will we miss the overly cynical, critical muso who scoffs at the lack of musicianship clearly available judging by the presence of music stands? Or will we revel in the drunken hordes that know nothing of the intricacies of playing an instrument and who will ask us for the song we just played before they came in, and will insist that you must know this one etc. etc.etc.

I think I know the answer!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1418748944' post='2632944']
...will we revel in the drunken hordes that know nothing of the intricacies of playing an instrument and who will ask us for the song we just played before they came in, and will insist that you must know this one etc. etc.etc...
[/quote]

How glamorous the music business is!
Punters milling about like drunken skittles with bad haircuts, bumping into things and vomiting on one's pedalboard... bliss.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418749522' post='2632949']

Punters milling about like drunken skittles with bad haircuts, bumping into things and vomiting on one's pedalboard... bliss.
[/quote]

Seems like a good reason to have a music stand.....to deflect the puke away from your pedal board 👍

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418749522' post='2632949']

[/quote]

I have never had one of said skittles ever say to me " oi! Mate, what the hell is that stand doing there? I'm not putting up with this, I'm off to stagger into another more musically adept band of minstrels ".

Strange innit?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1418762485' post='2633150']
Here's a picture of me doing a gig with Smokey Robinson , unfortunately it was difficult to see around the stand from where his pic was taken

[attachment=178751:images.jpeg]
[/quote]

Congratulations mate you broke the ten page barrier.....can we make 11 ?