Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1419042624' post='2636063']
True, but pubs are struggling audiences are dwindling and they pay the bands peanuts.
Chic are a good example to what I am trying to say because It doesn't matter that some members of Chic use stands/IPods because they have enough charismatic performers up front, they create great a atmosphere, in other words they put on a good show. The problem is when there are 3 or four people on a small stage whose only idea of performance and presentation is to put some tinsel round their music stand at Christmas.
Play for the audience not in spite of them, I think the days are gone when it is enough to say look at me I am playing an instrument, most people find that boring unless you are exceptional or unique.
[/quote]

Well, we are talking about cover bands ( in the thread title ) and it is stretching it to say Chic are the ultimate cover band...
but their live shows I've you-tubed didn't have music stands so even they recognise a time and a place.
It is all gig appropriate. You either know that or you don't or you'll be told. If it doesn't matter then the gig
doesn't really matter.
Personally, pubs..?? no...functions, yes... but it does depend how rehearsed up you are.
Some bands busk on the night and you'd never know... but the audience could guess if they saw the stands.
I can't really take the weekend warrior bands very seriously with stands in the local rock pub playing a
bunch of pub standards as you either know what you are doing or you don't..
But then it is not always so absolute...
Steely Dan tunes with stands..?? ok..if the band are GOOD
Thin LIzzy or AC/DC etc etc .... err.....?????

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1419053931' post='2636080']
I think it's a bit unfair to compare us with Chic. They are an extremely successful, multi platinum selling band and we're not!
There's a reason for this, not least of which is the fact that we are playing other people's songs. I would love to put on a show and go the full hog , and don't get me wrong, when we were younger, we really went for it. Thing is, these days , if I was to jump around onstage and shout " are you ready to rock people?" I would be regarded in these parts as a tosser. I know a lot of the people who come to see us, plus We are all starting to get a bit older. We have to put on a slightly more dignified show. It's not like we stand like statues all night, plus our "stage" is just usually on the floor at the end of the bar with very little room for rock poses. We do make a little effort. I've seen many bands on huge stages who don't run around all over the place and yet who have captivated me. I've seen bands who do nothing but run around, and that's great too.
As for exceptional or unique, we regard ourselves as pretty good. We play rock covers mixed with traditional music rocked up a bit, so it is a bit unique for this town, although not completely unheard of in this area.

I like to think that by playing good music and at least looking like I'm enjoying myself, is enough round here to make people think, I like these.
[/quote]

We are older as well... and I think we look dull on stage...but we don't sound it, by any means.
I've been told we are also really interesting to watch...which I like, but don't quite get, but we will have
people dancing, singing easily enough and we can get a bigger cheer at the start of the set than many locals
end with...
So, some good, some bad... I'll live with it as we don't need to do much else..or rather, I am banging my head
against the wall...and I can see why the guys don't think it is worth it for £50...
I thnk there is a lot more mileage for the better gigs but I also think we've setlled and 'peaked'...

If we chance a song we don't know well enough and we don't rehearse enough of late... then discreet notes
are used...
At the end of it all, do we put on very good show... well, we are capable of that but people judge us as much as they judge
anyone else... if fact, I think they judge us more as we are considered the 'upstarts'... :lol:

If you don't use music stands where are people going to put that lost ear ring, or the note telling you that the owner of the blue Ford has left the lights on, post Requests and notes for when the buffet is ready.
A music stand is the perfect solution to stop the old practice of the organiser wanting to hold a conversation with the person singing or insisting on handing things to those that are playing an instrument. :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419070746' post='2636168']

If we chance a song we don't know well enough and we don't rehearse enough of late... then discreet notes
are used...
At the end of it all, do we put on very good show... well, we are capable of that but people judge us as much as they judge
anyone else... if fact, I think they judge us more as we are considered the 'upstarts'... :lol:
[/quote]

This is the very reason I use a stand. As I've said before, I work month on, month off, so can only rehearse, obviously when I'm home. We try to freshen our set as much as we can, therefore there's not always a lot of time to" get a new number off". That's why I have to use notes on lyrics as I'm learning the bass part, but it takes a bit longer for the grey matter to store lyrics. I certainly don't need notes for songs we have been doing for years. I'm not going to keep moving the stand back and forward as we do different songs, so it stays where it is all night

Next gig I do where the singer wants to use a few cheat sheets, I will inform them of my cunning plan

Hide the stand and bring it out after the first number, that way people will be fooled and not walk out upon seeing the stand

How cunning is that eh ?

The only reason mentioned Chic was in response 51m0n post.
Unless you are there just to provide the music presentation is important, I don’t mean jumping around and throwing every rock cliché going and it needs to be appropriate and it can be subtle. Playing for the audience is important whether I a pub or stadium.

I gave up using stands after too many gigs with stage lighting that made it impossible to read the chart. I tried various lights but found it just easier to learn the tunes than carry around a stand, a light, a folder. And then when the band leader decided to produce a different setlist on arrival at the gig; half an hour rearranging the order of my music. :D

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1419082877' post='2636352']
Next gig I do where the singer wants to use a few cheat sheets, I will inform them of my cunning plan

Hide the stand and bring it out after the first number, that way people will be fooled and not walk out upon seeing the stand

How cunning is that eh ?
[/quote]
I like it and if you see someone get up just as you bring it out you could shout "Oi mate are you leaving here to go to the snot and faggot up the road?" If they say yes you could say "could you take this music stand up to the band on up there for me they left it here last week?". That would leave them snookered, will you produce another stand after he leaves making the leaving the right choice anyway or is that the only stand and he is going to miss a great band, does the other band need the stand, surely if they managed to set up without it they are good enough to not need it?, maybe it could be the night that the other band breaks free of the stand? tricky tricky situation :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1419087218' post='2636420']
I gave up using stands after too many gigs with stage lighting that made it impossible to read the chart. I tried various lights but found it just easier to learn the tunes than carry around a stand, a light, a folder. And then when the band leader decided to produce a different setlist on arrival at the gig; half an hour rearranging the order of my music. :D
[/quote]

I cant sight read or read a chart quick enough for most songs but I am thinking of buying an open framed stand and a copy of something like "expert notation for talented musicians in 5/8 and 3/4" to put on the stand, but with "Jugs Weekly" hidden inside ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1419087633' post='2636428']

I cant sight read or read a chart quick enough for most songs but I am thinking of buying an open framed stand and a copy of something like "expert notation for talented musicians in 5/8 and 3/4" to put on the stand, but with "Jugs Weekly" hidden inside ;)
[/quote]

I'm definitely going to do that at our next gig.

A black folder with an art magazine. Just in view of the drummer. Can't wait to see his face when we start the first number and I open the folder. :D

Closely followed by the rest of the band when they wonder why he has fallen off his stool.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1419088067' post='2636439']
I still maintain that it should state in the promotional material whether stands will be in use.....it just avoids that awkward moment where someone is having to decide....Should i stay or should i go now :)
[/quote]

Get your coat!....

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1419088594' post='2636453']
I'm definitely going to do that at our next gig.

A black folder with an art magazine. Just in view of the drummer. Can't wait to see his face when we start the first number and I open the folder. :D

Closely followed by the rest of the band when they wonder why he has fallen off his stool.

[/quote]
"Chicks with Sticks" drumming nudey girls magazine should do the trick!

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1419084123' post='2636362']
The only reason mentioned Chic was in response 51m0n post.
Unless you are there just to provide the music presentation is important, I don’t mean jumping around and throwing every rock cliché going and it needs to be appropriate and it can be subtle. Playing for the audience is important whether I a pub or stadium.
[/quote]

Yep.. didn't particuarly mean to single out your post, that post was irrelevant as well...or someone didn't read the thread title..
which isn't usually a problem unless it purports to support an argument..rather than just a comment, which it appeared to me to do..

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1419087218' post='2636420']
[/quote]

I can't even see the knobs on me amp, let alone read music off a sheet at a gig! :-)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419100389' post='2636611']

Yep.. didn't particuarly mean to single out your post, that post was irrelevant as well...or someone didn't read the thread title..
which isn't usually a problem unless it purports to support an argument..rather than just a comment, which it appeared to me to do..
[/quote]

Ha, a third of Chic's set was covers, they played a load of songs Nile produced but were not Chic by any means.

By that token they are probably the single highest profile covers band on any circuit last year.

They are therefore relevant to a thread entitled 'Using a music stand in a covers band'.

Don't feel too sorry for them Tim, As someone who started out on Trombone in function bands, brass sections only play stabs most of the time they spend the majority of the gig looking at the women. My main hurdle swapping to bass was I had to play every note start to finish. It was bl***dy hard work relentless concentration. No excuse if the argument here is we should learn it off pat then brass sections have no excuse.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1419161875' post='2637055']
Ha, a third of Chic's set was covers, they played a load of songs Nile produced but were not Chic by any means.

By that token they are probably the single highest profile covers band on any circuit last year.

They are therefore relevant to a thread entitled 'Using a music stand in a covers band'.
[/quote]

It is idiotic conclusions like that that lead even Rogers himself to tell the audiences that they
aren't a covers band..and that he wrote or produced all the material they play and that
the line-up is a vehicle to do that.
I am sure he'd appreciate your take since he goes to such pains to spell out they are his songs
in a written or production sense.

Just because a band plays a few covers, if they are an established outfit performing a set mainly of originals, I think it's wrong to call them a covers band. I mean who could say Chic were a covers band, without being a bit tongue in chic, I mean cheek?