Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

Well done Les, we are here to support you. No one will judge. You are among like minded souls. The first step is admitting you use. From there , we can work at the reasons behind your use and how we can stop you using once and for all!

[quote name='NickH' timestamp='1424197502' post='2693763']

I was explaining the whole thing to my (non musician) girlfriend. She gave me the wise point of view that to the non-musos in the audience, there's so much stuff on stage (mic stands, PA stands, light stands, backline, drums etc) that the uninitiated have little to no clue what any of it does. They're just there to listen to the music and watch the band perform. Slipping the odd look at a lyric folder means nothing to them at all
[/quote]

See this also alludes to the thread about people knowing what the bass is in the band. It seems alien to us that no one would know what the different instruments do, but , even I can remember far enough back, when I listened to songs on the radio, I never knew there was bass and guitar. It was just all a nice noise.
The general public, bless them, don't know what everything does. That stand could be music notes for all they know. Or, as stated by Nick, no one knows what it is, or cares for that matter. It's only other musos that get snobby about it and let's be fair. How often do we need to worry about them?

I do a lot of gigs with big name Jazz musicians and they all use music stands because, when we hit the one of the first tune, we have never played together and the tunes are only known by half the band. Check out 'Beauty and The Beast' off my Soundcloud page. This is what can happen when people who have never played together play together with 0music stands.

Alternatively, we could have played All Blues, Canteloupe Island and Straight No Chaser without music stands.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424199362' post='2693793']

I think we made it a rule around page 2 that sensible answers would be banned, this is not allowed, grab your stand and walk out, do not pass go or collect your £200 :D
[/quote]

On the contrary Pete, I find it's the gigs with music stands where I do leave with £200 - occasionally!!!

I have used a music stand for the first two gigs with the band I've joined... but I'm working double time to learn the material thoroughly enough so that I don't have to in future. Keys player gets away with it, but when there are only three of you standing up I don't really want to be the one rooted to the spot, staring at the dots while the other two leap about...

I couldn't have done those early events without the help given the time between joining and first gig, but that was our choice to get to work before I was 100%. I know we'll come across better when I ditch the stand, but I understand why some people like them. Few things get the pulse racing like that moment when you realise you have no idea what to play... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...