Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

I much prefer stands over band members discussing keys and arguing over which song to play next. A small nod of satisfaction between band mates is perfectly sufficient before moving on to the next number.

I hate long gaps between songs too. Should be 5 songs, short banter break; 5 songs, a banter break and then finish with 5 strong songs. More or less 50 minutes right there.

I'd leave a pub if the band couldn't maintain some sort of structure and professionalism to the proceedings. Music stands don't mean anything to me when looking at the overall experience.

Truckstop

I too, hate long gaps between songs and it's one of my great falling outs with our guitarist, who suffers from OCD and must tune up in between every song, then play the parts of the song to make sure he remembers them. I've heard people shout, oh, I like this one, just on him twiddling and I get cheesed off cos the song has lost its impact. It makes any banter I might have thought of, impossible to use as it wouldn't be heard over his playing. It's my great hate and so unprofessional!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1418811111' post='2633501']
Noodling between songs; definitely a No No.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Dead time between songs seems like an age. I don't like any kind of patter, or jokes, or any of it. Finish one song and get into the next one within a few seconds. You can say everything you need to say through the music, that's what you're there for. If you want to make the audience laugh, or engage with them in some other non-musical way, go and do stand-up.

The one that really gets me is when the guitarist quietly plays the first bar or so of the next number, thus completely ruining the flow of the set and letting everyone in the room know what bloody number you're going to play next!

Edited by discreet

It depends on what people are doing.

If loads are up dancing then no, no gaps, straight into next tune.

If people are watching then yes, gaps for people in the audience to say a couple of words to each other is fine. Rest their ears for a few seconds. For the singer to engage a bit with the audience. You can't keep blasting your tunes at people.

It's not a one size fits all thing.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418816364' post='2633565']
It's not a one size fits all thing.
[/quote]

like music stands?

In my folk band there'll often be an instrument swap - guitar for mandolin or whatever. If the front man didn't fill this 20 seconds or so with his "banter" it'd look pretty unprofessional!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1418816849' post='2633574']
In my folk band there'll often be an instrument swap - guitar for mandolin or whatever. If the front man didn't fill this 20 seconds or so with his "banter" it'd look pretty unprofessional!
[/quote]

It's a bit different if you're doing instrument changes. Also, a folk gig is generally more laid back (if you don't mind me saying so...) :)

I had a good think about this before i posted.

And came to the conclusion as long as the music or singing is decent i don't care. With that said i do think it takes away the connection between the audience and performers.

I would love to see a punk band using them i would find that funny. Especially a music stand with anarchy etc stickers on.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418817198' post='2633582']
It's a bit different if you're doing instrument changes. Also, a folk gig is generally more laid back (if you don't mind me saying so...) :)
[/quote]

I don't care, I just turn up, play the drums, take the money, and spend it at the bar

on the actual subject, I used to use notes I'd made for this band, but I'd done it on my phone. I was banned from using my phone as the audience apparently thought I was texting while on stage, so I had to substitute it for a creased up bit of paper. It seemed strange to me that a tatty bit of paper seemed more professional than a sleek black gadget!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1418772580' post='2633324']
I hate long gaps between songs too. Should be 5 songs, short banter break; 5 songs, a banter break and then finish with 5 strong songs. More or less 50 minutes right there.

Truckstop
[/quote]

IMHO this gets the balance about right. As a punter I like to see a band engaging with the audience and with each other occasionally. But not too often or it gets tedious.

This is one of the biggest failings of my own band, there is FAR too much buggering about of every description going on between songs. We really should rehearse the whole 'show' more, not just the individual songs.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1418817441' post='2633584']
It seemed strange to me that a tatty bit of paper seemed more professional than a sleek black gadget!
[/quote]

It's a [i]folk [/i]gig! You're supposed to be rustic and anti-technology and back-to-the-earth and all that crap!
I'm surprised they don't want you to carve your notes into a tree branch and lug it on stage with you.

I hear what you all are saying but, there has to be some noise created before you start. This is pubs we are talking about. We set up and play, we don't arrive in the afternoon and do our sound check whilst the place is empty. You HAVE to sound check. Ok, we make it as quick as possible cos we have a decent idea of where our settings should be, but to start totally blind, would be very not alright!
I'm talking about making noise between songs.
Sorry to the OP, looks like your topic got hijacked

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418816090' post='2633560']

The one that really gets me is when the guitarist quietly plays the first bar or so of the next number, thus completely ruining the flow of the set and letting everyone in the room know what bloody number you're going to play next!
[/quote]

Yip! That's what I'm talking about. I HATE this! We can rehearse till we are blue in the face, but the guitarer has to play a bit to remind himself that he remembers it, has the right sound dialled in etc.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1418826435' post='2633732']
Sorry to the OP, looks like your topic got hijacked.
[/quote]

He already apologised for it being too long!
I reckon we can go off on a tangent... saves using up our good internetz starting a new thread.
We should probably save it for best. :D

Edited by discreet

Could somebody please clarify.....was the conclusion that we like music stands or not? If you are a 'Pro' and use them are you not an actual 'Pro' thus meaning you are an 'Amateur'?

Oh and BTW what is a Pro anyway?

And does anyone have any pictures of their music stand?

Thank you

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418822694' post='2633675']
It's a [i]folk [/i]gig! You're supposed to be rustic and anti-technology and back-to-the-earth and all that crap!
I'm surprised they don't want you to carve your notes into a tree branch and lug it on stage with you.
[/quote]

They're not that primitive... having said that, for a band that wants to seem professional, we've only just started using set lists after 15 months gigging on the hoof.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1418827961' post='2633758']
Could somebody please clarify.....was the conclusion that we like music stands or not? If you are a 'Pro' and use them are you not an actual 'Pro' thus meaning you are an 'Amateur'?

Oh and BTW what is a Pro anyway?

And does anyone have any pictures of their music stand?

Thank you
[/quote]

My band are Amateurs and we don't use stands. Does that make us Pros?
But we do faff too much between songs. So that makes us Amateurs again.
If you shut us in a box, would we be Pros and Amateurs at the same time? :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1418844540' post='2634052']
If you shut us in a box, would we be Pros and Amateurs at the same time? :D
[/quote]

[i]Schrodinger's Cat[/i] is a good name for a band. I bet it's been done already.
Edit: Yep, at least two bands with that name. Bullplop!

Edited by discreet