Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

I've never used a music stand, but after reading this thread I'm considering getting one for me and each of the other band members. This should provide an interesting level of cognitive dissonance for the audience at our next gig.

[i]"Is it meant to sound like that? It must do, they're all using music stands."

"The bass player has been playing the same two bar pattern for three minutes now, why does he keep turning the pages on his sheet music?"[/i]

I think we'll hide them at the back until we are just about to start playing though. That way, those who would normally flee at the sight of them will have to stay until they've finished their pint at least. Only question is what type of stands to go for. I'm thinking mahogany for a nice warm tone, but painted black to preserve the high-end.

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1418387830' post='2629781']
I've never used a music stand, but after reading this thread I'm considering getting one for me and each of the other band members. This should provide an interesting level of cognitive dissonance for the audience at our next gig.

[i]"Is it meant to sound like that? It must do, they're all using music stands."

"The bass player has been playing the same two bar pattern for three minutes now, why does he keep turning the pages on his sheet music?"[/i]

I think we'll hide them at the back until we are just about to start playing though. That way, those who would normally flee at the sight of them will have to stay until they've finished their pint at least. Only question is what type of stands to go for. I'm thinking mahogany for a nice warm tone, but painted black to preserve the high-end.
[/quote]

I think you'll chase them away anyway, tbh... no need to go for the expense of buying something you'll never need. :lol: :lol:

[/quote]

Genius. I might pinch your idea :)

I'm thinking mahogany for a nice warm tone, but painted black to preserve the high-end.
[/quote]

Good choice, this is the only type of stand I can put up with , any other type I would leave and go elsewhere

I'm just impressed with the wealth of live acts that are available on any given night that some of you have the choice to actually be able to pick and choose who you watch on the basis of whether they have a music stand or not. I'm even more impressed that you have friends/ wife/ girlfriends who will not bother about walking to another bar, in the rain, just because you have decided that those music stands bother you so much. I must say, I'm very jealous indeed, as my friends/ wife/ girlfriend, would probably tell me where to go in a biblical sense!

It is easy to tell whether a band will be worth catching or not, tho... a few bars in the sound check is sometimes enough.
You might want to wait to hear those fears confirmed after a song or two... but that will pretty much set the tone
and there is no way the band will rescue the night, I'm afraid.

The whole concept of music stands saying anything about a musicians professionalism or ability says much more about the failings of the audience than the musicians.

I saw 2 bands in pubs this weekend. One, a very good cover band, with a stand for the vocalist and the other was a stand using Laurence Cottle doing his amazing stuff.

Anyone walking out on those two gigs would have been musically shooting themselves in the foot.

You lot with your music stands'n'bits of paper/ipads/whatever!
I once did a gig with a free improv band; the lady trombone leader issued us all with a piece of paper with some different coloured daubs of paint on.
She said "we'll improvise around whatever you see in those colours".
How we laughed!
I ended up playing mainly wah-wahed bass with maximum distortion, which was no doubt lovely for the audience...
Still, nobody threw stuff and there was roughly the same amount of folks there at the end as at the beginning, and they clapped (a bit!)

One cover band i was in the singer used a stand and it looked really amatuerish.

in my current band the singer makes notes on the set list for any songs he needs. Much more discreet.

Like others have said, once you start you rely on the stand. Ditch it and which ever songs are a problem concentrate on practicing them.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418649149' post='2631947']
If some one was serious that they walk out without the band playing a note I suspect the band would be better off for that type of person not being in the audience, I'm sure we've all seen these experts explaining to their friends what you are doing wrong all night, just sucks the fun out of it IMO.
[/quote]

It doesn't have to be like that tho.... I've heard many a band in 'soundcheck' and I just know it is going to be a band I can't enjoy....
mostly because they'll be a bit crap... and there can be quite a few reasons why that is, but it doesn't hide that essential 'fact' :lol:
You know it, and you'll stay a few songs and confirm it..and you'll just shrug your shoulders
when someone else happens to mention the band being crap. You only stayed because the pub was rammed... and the band happened to have all their rele's
turn out and your also have only just got your drink in. :lol:

Edited by JTUK

Is it just not possible that a singer/guitarist etc could be allowed to be a great player but just have a bloody terrible memory???
Would anyone go and see a big name band or player and walk out because they have a lyric monitor on the floor? I can't see your average covers band being able to afford that sort of technology so a stand it is!
Can't see a problem myself, just keep them low and to the side a bit so we can see the singer/player!!

Hope this works from my phone. See attached photo for the only 'stand' that should be used - my guitarist in action :)

Edit: That's probably a Manic Street Preachers song btw, the lyrics of which are completely un-memorisable!
Oh, and the usual imho, amiley face disclaimers apply :)

Edited by Norris

Well I hope we can all agree then that it's disgraceful in this day and age that you can walk into a pub for free and the band who might be getting paid £250 between five of them don't or can't put on a show equal to that of a fifteen hundred pound function band, I think it only right to walk out and go to another pub that hasn't got a band on at all yet will charge you exactly the same price if not a bit more per pint?

:)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418664579' post='2632114']
Well I hope we can all agree then that it's disgraceful in this day and age that you can walk into a pub for free and the band who might be getting paid £250 between five of them don't or can't put on a show equal to that of a fifteen hundred pound function band, I think it only right to walk out and go to another pub that hasn't got a band on at all yet will charge you exactly the same price if not a bit more per pint?

:)
[/quote]

Cost of the band goes on the pint around here.. so they need to be worth the difference... and sure, some bands aren't :lol: :lol:
I know this because I go and see a lot of bands :lol: so a lot of the times, no music pubs are better..

Maybe I am just too easily pleased to be able to walk into a pub, buy a pint and be entertained to some extent for maybe two hours all for about £3.10, If I had just paid £50 a ticket to see my favourite band and they were sh*t then I would be dissapointed but I am ok seeing a few middle aged guys knock out Dakota with or without a stand as long as it gets my foot tapping, I might even splash out and buy a second pint and a bag of salt and vinegar crisps if they are half reasonable :)

Maybe you are.. I want to see a band do something...not play the entire evening by numbers.
I want to see them stretch, go thru a gear or two and bring something along to the party...
not sound like eleventy eight hundred other bands all doing the same set the same way.

We are going to a pub gig around Feb to run through a new 80s themed set we are working on, we will fill the pub with minimal promotion so the landlord is always keen to book us for this type of thing. Therefore everyone wins. The pub goers get some good entertainment (even if I say so myself, last time we did this it was a blast) , the landlord sells a shed load of beer, we get some expenses in the band account, and get a no pressure run through for a new set.

Problem is, I think the singer may still be using some sheets and therefore a stand for some of the songs, so should I cancel it ?

Edited by lojo