Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418666647' post='2632144']
Maybe you are.. I want to see a band do something...not play the entire evening by numbers.
I want to see them stretch, go thru a gear or two and bring something along to the party...
not sound like eleventy eight hundred other bands all doing the same set the same way.
[/quote]
We have a small theatre in town that caters for great music, I went to see Dan Walsh there last year it was fantastic, harp player, fiddle, drums, banjo, guitars and bass really top quality musicianship, put them in the pub over the road and no one wants to know, they want sex on fire, livin on a prayer, sweet home etc just like they do every week!

I'm sorry to say I've had to resurrect mine from the boot of the car - got a 50+ song New Years eve gig with a scratch (but very good) band with at least 50% songs I don't know - it's a dinner dance do so I rather doubt anyone will be walking out.

But just in case I do forget Moon River or any other of the songs I should know but have long forgotten, and haven't commited to memory from the two rehearsals, my music stand will be in use - don't want any of the people dancing waltzes tripping up because I've forgotten its in 3/4 lol!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1418685745' post='2632429']
don't want any of the people dancing waltzes tripping up because I've forgotten its in 3/4 lol!!
[/quote]

That brings back horrible memories when a band I was in learned it for a gig as a request.

Car crash - drummer argued 3/4 was the same as 6/8 and insisted on paying it as a march. But without the swing. :crazy:

I'll help. I used one for one of the bands I joined a while back that had jobs scheduled and had lost their bass player. They were a country band (yeah, I'm from the States lol) and I'm NOT country. My heritage was more British rock from the 70s. I'd use the stand on the side of the stage well out of sight. After two shows, however, the music stand got ditched. But, if the need comes up, like a new song being played live for the first time, I might use it again (I sing a lot of the vocals, too, for the non-country songs that have "slipped in over time)! lol It's still staying on the side of the stage, though, if the need demands its use.

In other words, I prefer not to but will if I have to. :-)

<><Peace

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1418685745' post='2632429']
I'm sorry to say I've had to resurrect mine from the boot of the car - got a 50+ song New Years eve gig with a scratch (but very good) band with at least 50% songs I don't know - it's a dinner dance do so I rather doubt anyone will be walking out.

But just in case I do forget Moon River or any other of the songs I should know but have long forgotten, and haven't commited to memory from the two rehearsals, my music stand will be in use - don't want any of the people dancing waltzes tripping up because I've forgotten its in 3/4 lol!!
[/quote]
Surely that is exactly the type of gig where you would expect to see music stands on stage.

However if I walk into a pub expecting to see a rock band and they have music stands visibly on stage when I'm expecting a bit more of an energetic performance - well I'm not saying that I would immediately walk out by any means, but it is a strike against them before they've played a note...!

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1418687849' post='2632446']
I'll help. I used one for one of the bands I joined a while back that had jobs scheduled and had lost their bass player. They were a country band (yeah, I'm from the States lol) and I'm NOT country. My heritage was more British rock from the 70s. I'd use the stand on the side of the stage well out of sight. After two shows, however, the music stand got ditched. But, if the need comes up, like a new song being played live for the first time, I might use it again (I sing a lot of the vocals, too, for the non-country songs that have "slipped in over time)! lol It's still staying on the side of the stage, though, if the need demands its use.

In other words, I prefer not to but will if I have to. :-)

<><Peace
[/quote]

But did they use the Nashville Number System? You'd need a stand and a degree in maths to read that cold.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418668847' post='2632180']
We have a small theatre in town that caters for great music, I went to see Dan Walsh there last year it was fantastic, harp player, fiddle, drums, banjo, guitars and bass really top quality musicianship, put them in the pub over the road and no one wants to know, they want sex on fire, livin on a prayer, sweet home etc just like they do every week!
[/quote]

I don't think they want those numbers from pub bands...that is just what they get because bands can be lazy and give the set no thought.
Of course, there is a point of diminshing returns as pubs pay poor money.so players go after better gigs, ..but that doesn't mean at all,
that function bands are always better as I know plenty- well, more than a few that wouldn't/couldn't get work elsewhere- it just means
that a poor band is a poor band anywhere. And bands that take the easy way with 'classic' sets probably have no other cards to play
anyway.
I am always 'amazed'...well, again, not really, :lol: that bands don't put any effort in, go for the lowest common denominator set list
and then still wonder why no one notices them... They are the bands that people should walk out on....:lol:

But it is funny... and I do take note of this... certain bands do ok in some towns and bomb in others and the main reason for that is
the set... but bands that have more about them than just the set, get by most places, IME.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418717516' post='2632526']

I don't think they want those numbers from pub bands...that is just what they get because bands can be lazy and give the set no thought.
Of course, there is a point of diminshing returns as pubs pay poor money.so players go after better gigs, ..but that doesn't mean at all,
that function bands are always better as I know plenty- well, more than a few that wouldn't/couldn't get work elsewhere- it just means
that a poor band is a poor band anywhere. And bands that take the easy way with 'classic' sets probably have no other cards to play
anyway.
I am always 'amazed'...well, again, not really, :lol: that bands don't put any effort in, go for the lowest common denominator set list
and then still wonder why no one notices them... They are the bands that people should walk out on....:lol:

But it is funny... and I do take note of this... certain bands do ok in some towns and bomb in others and the main reason for that is
the set... but bands that have more about them than just the set, get by most places, IME.
[/quote]

Judging from results so far in the BassChat ultimate top 40. We're not all actually playing the same songs. That's quite an outdated view.

In fact we can only, so far, agree on 23 songs :D

Edited by TimR

We're not pro musicians, this is a live topic in our band, as a band we exist in a couple of forms, one form is playing pubs where we play songs that we like, whilst another is a sanitised function party band (because we make good money and its actually a good laugh) with a very different pool of material and discipline, so due to the volume of material, we've accepted the need for stands for the vocalists, with first line of a verse prompts rather than full lyrics and one of the vocalists writes down prompts for the night, like an enhanced set list, and it works.

We have noticed that one of the 'team' who has been busy with work, has started writing chord progressions on his 'prompts', his performances reflect a lack of gusto and rehearsal, so after the Christmas gig this weekend we'll have a 'do you have the time for the band?' chat with him.

We have around 70 songs that we can call upon with constant addtions; its a tall order to know the lyrics to every one of them. On a personal note, by the time that I've twisted and gyrated my way though a song, I've often forgotten what's next, so I'm usually frantically searching for a set list or asking what we're playing next - :)

Not really kept up with that 'top 40 thread' but I can know which bands round here mirror each others set and there is
a predominance of classic 80's bands and they always feature two gtrs. This in itself is quite limiting
as regards to the number they'll take on. Other times they'll be a 4 piece ( 1 gtr ) which can be even more so,
so that and a lack of thought can easily back the band into a musical hole. Couple that with a shouty
vocalist rather than a singer and you can see the whole thing getting all a bit samey.

You can pretty much tell which bands will work out and be worth staying to listen to almost as soon as you
walk in... and certainly if you hear any of them tune up, sound check.

Compiling a set is quite an art IMO, and we've found we need 3 types; a pub set where we could put what we want in
as long as we finish really strongly, a function set which HAS to get people dancing and a festival set which has to get
the crowd involved. and some of our numbers would never cross over to the other two.. altho function and party
are the closest to each other is terms of numbers shared.

For my two new projects I am trying to get a feel for the songs we will want to do... depending on which vox I use..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1418731001' post='2632704']
One page about stands and eight pages of "no, it isn't" and "yes, it is".

Just the usual.
[/quote]

It's a bit strange. No one seems to be interacting. Just giving their opinions.

It's fairly typical of internet where one person imagines a certain scenario and then expects everyone to fit.

I imagine most of us wouldn't use music stands or music to play a gig if we were confident with the music. Who uses charts for Mustang Sally?

So from there on in it's up to the individual band leader to decide what he wants the band to look like on stage.

We could just as easily be talking about blue jeans and trainers in a club. If the club owner wants the club to have a certain feel that his perogative.

It's not up to the individual unless the band leader says so. As long as there's no arguments who really cares, there are a million and one reasons why people leave bars while the band is playing.

Personally, as I said before, I like to make eye contact with the audience. I can't do this if I'm reading music or fretboard gazing. It's part of stagecraft. You are playing the part of a bass player. If the part requires a stage prop of a music stand then you use one. I've played gigs where we all had black music stands with the band name on it because that's the image the band leader wanted. I had no music on it though!

Until this thread, no one has ever told me they left because we were using music stands. Maybe we should have a friend of the band doing exit polls of the audience to find out why they left early. :crazy:

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418737462' post='2632810']
Who uses charts for Mustang Sally?
[/quote]

According to the Basschat Top 40 covers poll, no-one actually plays Mustang Sally any more, but I take your point. :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418737462' post='2632810']
...there are a million and one reasons why people leave bars while the band is playing.
[/quote]

True, but I'm betting playing far too loud is favourite. At least it is in my experience.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1418739878' post='2632835']
So does that mean nobody has been collating the responses so that we can produce a pie chart?
[/quote]

I think somebody should start a poll to decide whether we have a pie chart or a graph.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418737462' post='2632810']Who uses charts for Mustang Sally?

[/quote]I have a chart for MS; it leads to the Laurentian Abyss where it can be dropped off :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418741100' post='2632851']
Let's think outside the box and do a Venn diagram.
[/quote]Aww! I like Carroll diagrams :(