Why become a member? ×

Examples of 'Root Notes Only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1409854281' post='2544036']
'Dakota' by Stereophonics... Boring as they come and the only song in the covers set that I actually hate and would love to never hear again. [b]Tiny variations[/b] but essentially just root note playing.

[/quote]

There are variations? No one told me :)

Where are they?

Actually don't worry, I don't play this song...phew!

(I actually said no to a rehearsal recently when I saw Dakota was on their set list...and Sex on Fire)

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1409855792' post='2544057']
Lots and lots of stuff by Gilbert and Sullivan, at least according to my dad.
[/quote]

This. I ended up reading a G&S show many moons ago. 'twas not exactly the most fun time I've ever had...

Is this sort of thing recognised in the world of drumming I wonder, or does it just get passed off as the drummer's style.

I'm thinking of the difference between, say, Charlie Watts and Keith Moon. One is pretty steady and just laying down a solid rhythm with the odd fill, the other is one long fill.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1409855716' post='2544054']

There are variations? No one told me :)

Where are they?

Actually don't worry, I don't play this song...phew!

(I actually said no to a rehearsal recently when I saw Dakota was on their set list...and Sex on Fire)
[/quote]

When I say 'variations' I simply meant that there's an occasional third thrown in. Bloody awful song but for some reason, the punters bloody love it and at the end of the gig, they pay my wage so I'll keep playing it. I hate the song though lol.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1409856234' post='2544067']
Is this sort of thing recognised in the world of drumming I wonder, or does it just get passed off as the drummer's style.

I'm thinking of the difference between, say, Charlie Watts and Keith Moon. One is pretty steady and just laying down a solid rhythm with the odd fill, the other is one long fill.
[/quote]

Very much so; perhaps more still than in Bassland. There are those that must 'innovate', hardly able to play two consecutive bars the same way, others quite hypnotic in their persistence and invariability. All points east, of course, but most drummers will have a leaning one way or t'other. When 'depping' (on drums...), it's a good idea to find out how the band (or solist; I've often depped for two-some wedding stuff...) is expecting you to play. Some like improvisation, others won't allow any syncopation ever..!
It can sometimes be seen in the size of the kit. The 14-tom 20-cymbalist is unlikely to hold down a simple '4 on the floor' for long..! :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

[/quote]

Go on to a drum forum, they're like the wild west of the internet. Make us lot look like we attend nursery school.

[/quote]
I read somewhere that when drummer Phil Seamen first heard Keith Moon he said something like: 'Man, you get paid playing like that?'

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1409864214' post='2544193']
Virtually the whole of Never Mind The Bollocks, by The Sex Pistols.
[/quote]
That's Steve Jones' fault. Glen Matlock played much more interesting lines, which can be heard on the official release of the 'S p u n k' bootleg. But then you probably know that Lozz!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1409854281' post='2544036']'Dakota' by Stereophonics... Boring as they come and the only song in the covers set that I actually hate and would love to never hear again. Tiny variations but essentially just root note playing.[/quote]

This song came up in a set list discussion for us recently and got heavily veto'd. Bartender and the Thief put in instead...

Some interesting examples there. U2 With or Without You and the Taylor Swift song have almost the same classic I V VI IV chord progression, both in D major, except that the Taylor Swift song has a single crotchet's worth of IV before the pattern repeats. And the Taylor Swift song does have a keychange. Out of interest I tried playing a different line including fifths along to With or Without You. Definitely didn't suit the song, there's already enough going on there. I think there's some space in the intro and breakdowns of the Taylor Swift song for a few sneaky subtle harmonics though. They rhythm isn't straight eighths all the way through though. It is, as described, restrained. But there's variation in there.

I enjoyed the White Zombie track more than I expected to. While it's all one note, hen I played along with it, I could put in a fair amount of interest in the rhythm using some sixteens and the occasional bit of syncopation. I haven't listened carefully enough to what the original bassist was playing, and the mix isn't clear - not that I think it's meant to be. But I found that it was possible for me to create (recreate?) a bassline for that with one note that I found quite enjoyable to play. I'm reminded a lot of Nitzer Ebb.

I find it interesting that I found none of the songs on here really boring, all had their interest. And I could enjoy playing any of them. Any particular Gilbert and Sullivan tracks that are really boring? (Do you mean Gilbert O'Sullivan?) Nice cheesy but fun major key bassline on 'What's In a Kiss' if the latter. EDIT: "Doesn't it make you sick" sounds to be more or less all root note crotchets more or less.

Edited by Annoying Twit