Why become a member? ×

Examples of 'Root Notes Only'

Annoying Twit

I am rediscovering some music I would have possibly condemned in the past based on the fact it was root note only type bass lines. The simple fact is this:

Sometimes, that is all that is required.

There are many players, granted most from a bygone era, that made a career out of this type of playing (cliff williams springs to mind) the fact is that it "is all that is required", could you imagine ACDC with an over complicated bass line? It just wouldn't work.
The important thing I think is,
Don't assume that the bass player only played root notes because that's all they knew how to play. Someone else has alread mentioned, it does take great restraint and focus to do this style of playing (if you know anything about the instrument you are playing of course!)

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1409943283' post='2544939']
The guys who play only root notes are just so exciting as eating spaghetti without sauce or drinking alcohol free whisky.
Best
[/quote]

Yet the bands mentioned so far are far more popular than the typical music created on basses like the one in your avatar, even as a bassist I'd rather listen listen to AC/DC's greatest hits than a solo bassist with a loop station so im not surprised really :)

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1409949124' post='2544996']
I am rediscovering some music I would have possibly condemned in the past based on the fact it was root note only type bass lines. The simple fact is this:

Sometimes, that is all that is required.

There are many players, granted most from a bygone era, that made a career out of this type of playing (cliff williams springs to mind) the fact is that it "is all that is required", could you imagine ACDC with an over complicated bass line? It just wouldn't work.
The important thing I think is,
Don't assume that the bass player only played root notes because that's all they knew how to play. Someone else has alread mentioned, it does take great restraint and focus to do this style of playing (if you know anything about the instrument you are playing of course!)
[/quote]

Or a severe lack of imagination. If ACDC would have put some thought into the basslines, I might have bought more than 1 album.
You don't have to be a great player to come up with a decent bassline. Had Duff put a straight 8 bassline to every GnR song, people would have said "but that's all that it needed".
Sweet child o mine could easily have had a Coldplay style bassline, but a little imagination & he put a bit of bass under the intro & popped some simple fills in to break the monotony.
Even the most slagged off bassist has some good basslines (Adam Clayton).

There's nothing wrong with playing a straight simple bassline if that's all the song needs, but to play like that for every song goes past restraint.
I'm not just talking about ACDC either.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409950730' post='2545023']

Yet the bands mentioned so far are far more popular than the typical music created on basses like the one in your avatar, even as a bassist I'd rather listen listen to AC/DC's greatest hits than a solo bassist with a loop station so im not surprised really :)
[/quote]

Ha ha, yes you are right, But some loop stations goove not so bad...
Check this out.
Best
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kd349Df1Ows

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1409987487' post='2545125']
Ha ha, yes you are right, But some loop stations goove not so bad...
Check this out.
Best
[url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kd349Df1Ows"]http://m.youtube.com...h?v=kd349Df1Ows[/url]
[/quote]

Hey dont get me wrong I went to the Yanek Gwizdala workshop!, I dont mind a bit of twiddling but it has to be right for the gig, If I had gone to see Yanek and he showed us a few Coldplay numbers I would have wanted my money back on the other hand AC/DC have done rather well without any two handed tapping, in fact instead of watching one guy tapping Cliff Williams got millions of peoples feet tapping! :D I dont think they will be too worried about xgsjx's lack of purchases due to a lack of fourths and 9ths missing.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409988473' post='2545136']

Hey dont get me wrong I went to the Yanek Gwizdala workshop!, I dont mind a bit of twiddling but it has to be right for the gig, If I had gone to see Yanek and he showed us a few Coldplay numbers I would have wanted my money back on the other hand AC/DC have done rather well without any two handed tapping, in fact instead of watching one guy tapping Cliff Williams got millions of peoples feet tapping! :D I dont think they will be too worried about xgsjx's lack of purchases due to a lack of fourths and 9ths missing.
[/quote]

No problem, it's just for the fun of the debate, really... I understand " horses for courses" but you know, each with his own tastes and if you went the YG workshop I am sure you will appreciate the link . ":0)
Best

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409988473' post='2545136']
[/quote]

I agree. Just because I find them a bit boring after a while doesn't mean they are rubbish. They know how to sell. Write good riffs & keep the groove simple.
I myself preferred Van Halen to ACDC as their basslines was equally as simple, but more fun to play when learning.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1409990047' post='2545152']
I agree. Just because I find them a bit boring after a while doesn't mean they are rubbish. They know how to sell. Write good riffs & keep the groove simple.
I myself preferred Van Halen to ACDC as their basslines was equally as simple, but more fun to play when learning.
[/quote]

I am against sales figures as a measure of quality anyway...Justin Beiber for example....but for their songs at that time I think simple was best and I suspect they would have sold less records with a jazzy bass line. Simple can be good and for the life of me I dont know why some simple lines are great and eveything by coldplay,snow patrol etc etc etc is so dull in comparison to Free or ACDC etc etc, there must be more to it than we give credit for?

But there's also loads of Coldplay & Snow Patrol fans who would say the opposite (I find both rather bland). Free had some great basslines.
With music, for non musicians (e.g. most people), it's solely about the finished sound & how they can connect with it, not how technical it is.
For most rockers a great song has a guitar riff (or maybe even a bass riff) at the start, then the music comes on full & then falls back a notch to allow the singer to assist the listener in his/her vocal abilities. A solo to allow for some air guitar & then back to the final verse (usually the 1st verse again, but not always).
It doesn't matter how technical the bassline is, but I do think that there's many bands who could have put a bit more effort into the basslines.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409938607' post='2544876']
Please please me all root notes? It has some great little walking lines in it and some tidy rock and roll style fills, defo not roots only that one.
[/quote]
Oh I had forgotten about the fills. Only roots for the verses then :D

I always ask if the simple part is played because it is the best thing for the music or is it because that is all the player knows
how to do?
When someone like Will Lee plays a root note line you know it's because it's what's required, but when Guigsy from Oasis did it I'm guessing it was because of his limitations.To me, that's a huge difference.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1410014600' post='2545420']
I always ask if the simple part is played because it is the best thing for the music or is it because that is all the player knows
how to do?
When someone like Will Lee plays a root note line you know it's because it's what's required, but when Guigsy from Oasis did it I'm guessing it was because of his limitations.To me, that's a huge difference.
[/quote]

+1 totally agree.
On a funny side, imagine that Will Lee's band is required (well paid) to play an Oasis song.
Best

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1410052085' post='2545735']
That's a low blow!

Oasis would have replaced Guigsy in a heart beat, or at least brought in another bass player for the record, if he hadn't played exactly what they wanted.
[/quote]
I thought Liam played the bass on the record?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1410100838' post='2546075']
Looks like it was Noel.....

Err.... so.... he can't be blamed for the bass lines then!!!!
[/quote]
It kind of proves my point though. Noel is a very limited guitar player, so it makes sense that his bass playing will be even more limited to playing very simply.It also makes me think that Guigsy must have been pretty poor if he wasn't able to cut the tracks.
So, no, it's not a low blow at all, just a statement about the limitations of a certain player (I picked him, but I could have applied it to a bunch of bands).
Out of interest, I actually like the first couple of Oasis albums but I'd never any of the members around that time as being good musicians.

Oasis are like most singer songwriter acts, it's all about the vocals. The music is there to provide a canvas, it's not part of the artwork.
The bassline is there just to do a simple foundation. They could have easily have had better basslines on every oasis song.

Edited by xgsjx