Why become a member? ×

Examples of 'Root Notes Only'

Annoying Twit

Bob Mould "Star Machine". Suits the song though. I was really looking for boring, unimaginative, songs.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RALObIcjmy0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=RALObIcjmy0[/url]

Elmore James got nohin' on this, baby.

I've forgotten how to inline youtube videos. Could someone please remind me?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1409868539' post='2544259']
That's Steve Jones' fault. Glen Matlock played much more interesting lines, which can be heard on the official release of the 'S p u n k' bootleg. But then you probably know that Lozz!
[/quote]

Agreed, S p u n k is musically a much better album, and Glen Matlock really shows great bass-playing.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1409854281' post='2544036']
'Dakota' by Stereophonics... Boring as they come and the only song in the covers set that I actually hate and would love to never hear again. Tiny variations but essentially just root note playing.
[/quote]
I think quite a lot of Stereophonics stuff has strictly root note basslines. 'Have A Nice Day' was playing on the radio this morning and it sounded like a candidate to me.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1409902731' post='2544384']
Agreed, S p u n k is musically a much better album, and Glen Matlock really shows great bass-playing.
[/quote]
I actually prefer Jones' root notes. Much more powerful sound to my ears. Matlock always sounds like he's overplaying the songs to me.

AC/DC would be a whole different band without root note bass playing. The simplicity is what makes it sound so good especially on the songs they leave the bass out in the verse and bring it in thumping in the chorus (Highway to hell, shook me all night long etc). Pure and simple but very effective. However Livewire does get a bit boring to play

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1409909979' post='2544461']
I actually prefer Jones' root notes. Much more powerful sound to my ears. Matlock always sounds like he's overplaying the songs to me.
[/quote]

I'm listening to sp**k right now. Matlock's lines are rather poppy, and the bass sound is IMHO too polite. So far, I'm agreeing with Low End Bee.

The good thing about Macca & Sting & even Adam Clayton is that they only play the root note to songs that need them.
When a band does it for virtually every song, then I find I lose interest as all their songs start to sound the same (AC/DC are a prime example. Yes they have some great songs, but then they have about 15 albums that stick to the same format).

Many of the root 8th note songs here have another instrument playing arpeggios. E.g. keyboards in With or Without You, and guitar on Every Breath You Take. Perhaps in those cases the arpeggios provide sufficient supporting melodic motion, and having too much motion in the bass would be too much.

BTW: Just because I started the thread doesn't mean I get more say than anyone else as to where it goes. However, I was interested in hearing about songs with inappropriately simple. E.g. boring.

I was thinking about this after reading the story of a bassist on another forum, maybe TB. He was wondering why his band hadn't called him in for the recording of an album. He then heard that he wasn't to worry because they rhythm guitarist had played bass. When he heard he recording his worst fears were realised. Nothing but root notes on the whole album.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1409909979' post='2544461']
[/quote]
[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1409911871' post='2544484']
I'm listening to sp**k right now. Matlock's lines are rather poppy, and the bass sound is IMHO too polite. So far, I'm agreeing with Low End Bee.
[/quote]

Just goes to show how sometimes less can be more. Musically as said, I think S p u n k is much better, and probably reflects The Sex Pistols live much better, can only imagine what it would have been like with Bill Price & Chris Thomas working on it. But Never Mind The Bollocks is my all time fave album and the simplicity of it really rammed those songs home. Apparently, from reading many things about them, this style was more down to Jones`s personality of hammering away at something, rather than lack of playing skills.