Why become a member? ×

what was the first number you gigged on a bass ?

essexbasscat

A Horace Silver tune - Liberated Brother. That was back in July 1979.

Here's what it sounds like when it's played properly rather than by a bunch of teenagers.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vehbblYL_Q&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage[/url]

Edited by Panamonte

Joined my 1st band after 3 months of playing, back in 2002, I learned their 4 original songs and did those, plus Bon Jovi 'Its My Life' as an encore, kept jumping on and off the stage as they peppered those songs all around the setlist....I was 42 and terrified!

'Fat Angel', a 'cover' of a Jefferson Airplane track. Circa 1970, with the Martin Spicer Band (schoolmates of a younger brother...), playing a white Vox Clubman. The venue was the Southville Methodist Hall, a concert auto-promoted. I made a 100w transistor amp for the occasion, using 2N3055's, and a 4 x 12 cab. I didn't have much of a clue about dimensions, so I guessed that 36" x 36" x 12" should be enough. It certainly was..! Amp and cab covered in turquoise rubbery vinyl (a floor covering, I think...).
Happy days.

http://youtu.be/9A7jM-7bNYs

Another one bites the dust. I hadn't been playing very long at all and I remember taking ages to work out the C bit.

I also remember freaking out some girls in my class by turning the cassette over in a 4-track recorder so it played backwards and hearing "it's fun to smoke marajuana" instead of "another one bites the dust".

Nothing special but I will never forget. I was late into music, had my first public gig aged 50 in 2008. I opened the set playing the first notes of 'Gimmie Some Loving' and was as nervous as anything. After about 1 minute the nerves vanished and I discovered that I *really* loved it :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1406624413' post='2513024']
Nothing special but I will never forget. I was late into music, had my first public gig aged 50 in 2008. I opened the set playing the first notes of 'Gimmie Some Loving' and was as nervous as anything. After about 1 minute the nerves vanished and I discovered that I *really* loved it :)
[/quote]
Great story!

Town Called Malice by The Jam. I'd been taken by surprise that The Fear of being on stage had got me, but was mostly able to keep my fingers working. I was going fine until the bit where everything but the bass drops out for a couple of bars, and although I hit all of the right notes, in the right order, they were not necessarily hit at the right moments. The classic driving Motown-esque bassline was rendered in a hesitant and staccatto style.

Since them, I've beaten The Fear, and feel quite comfortable on stage, but I still don't like playing that song if I can possibly avoid it.