Why become a member? ×

Drummers- what's the magic ingredient?

scalpy

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1403898849' post='2487602']
In my experience, the smaller the kit, the better the drummer!
[/quote]

Very true. Had a stand in pro drummer stand in at the last minute. He borrowed four or five kit pieces from other bands. Kit looked like a jumble sale job lot, but he made them sound like there were £10,000 worth of kit.

No need for twenty five kit pieces when four will do !

See, I don't go along with that.... as long as he can play them and make them sound good then I don't mind
a larger kit. Of course, getting them into the Dog and Duck takes a bit of common sense about what is required, but as long as the guy is musical..and therefore that is the REAL crunch, IMO, he can take in what he wants,
We have a guy who will change round his cymbal set-up as it keeps him on his toes, but then he has super hand speed
and this is just something to change things up... doesn't make a bit of difference to musicality in the songs.
He can basically hit what he wants anyway, anyhow, anytime...

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1403948033' post='2487913']
Very true. Had a stand in pro drummer stand in at the last minute. He borrowed four or five kit pieces from other bands. Kit looked like a jumble sale job lot, but he made them sound like there were £10,000 worth of kit.

No need for twenty five kit pieces when four will do !
[/quote]
We did a theatre tour of a musical with a drummer with a big kit, there was also other issues. But he wasn't asked back for the 2nd and 3rd legs of the tour. The next drummer came in and was brilliant, got along with everyone and had such a positive attitude that lifted everyone. After the tours we've (me, guitarists) have stayed friends with him. He says he'll never forget the first thing one of the guitarists said. As he was setting up at the first rehearsal he was quite nervous as he was coming into an already established band on probably one of the biggest jobs he'd had. He used a four piece kit with minimal cymbals. The guitarist said aloud to me. 'Here Tom, he's only brought half a drum kit'

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1403899846' post='2487617']
Time, tempo, groove and killer chops... and the nous to know when to do it.
[/quote]

Spot on JT. I`d also add to this the ability to do all that at the volume that`s right for the stage/room. Some can only play at the same volume no matter where they are. Destroys them in my view, being over-loud with no ability to rectify the situation.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1403899074' post='2487603']
very fast, [/quote]

Does that mean he finishes the gig before everyone else then?
Packed up and long gone before the last number?
If so, sounds ideal......lol......

Groove, swing, phrasing for me.
Someone who listens to everyone around him/her.
Can't be arsed with all that "I play in front/behind" "it's more organic",
That's just sloppy hippy nonsense.

Time keeping is number one for me. I hate having to push stuff along or try to reign it in because it forces me to play quick or slow. Being solid comes second - hate it when they can't come back in on time from a fill. Love playing with a solid drummer though. Very liberating.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1403958582' post='2488070']
Does that mean he finishes the gig before everyone else then?
Packed up and long gone before the last number?
If so, sounds ideal......lol......
[/quote]

Hahaha :D

Thankfully he's not one of those drummers that can't keep tempo. He's just capable of playing very fast and not sounding like a sloppy mess. Very fun to have a drum/bass jam with!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1403958293' post='2488067']
Spot on JT. I`d also add to this the ability to do all that at the volume that`s right for the stage/room. Some can only play at the same volume no matter where they are. Destroys them in my view, being over-loud with no ability to rectify the situation.
[/quote]

I do have some sympathy with level tho, Lozz as some players are used to stages or studio where constant level of strike is
paramount and they don't/didn't have to cram into tiny places where the volume can't escape.

We are never going to be a quiet band but we always try to have a balance and a mix so I'll come upto the drummer and the rest play to me.
That does rule out a few places but then they are too small for other reasons as well.

My brother is our drummer.....sets up and just gets on with it. Has had all forms of drumming lessons and training from the age of 14.....probably the only real musician in our band and personally i think he could have turned Pro. Oh and the kit has got smaller and smaller over the years which is nice :-)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1403979786' post='2488317']...an instrument that requires the proverbial being beaten out of it...[/quote]

:o Depends on repertoire, I suppose, but I certainly don't beat the heck out of my kit. Even if one can ignore the noise, it'd cost a fair bit..! Hi-hats alone are retailed at over £400; not recommended to 'trash' 'em too often..! :rolleyes:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1403995597' post='2488472']
Ears.
[/quote]

Bollocks!
...and of course I mean that in the most additive way I can. They need ears, and they need bollocks. :) Bollocks in a musical sense, that is; I don't care if they're male or female.
Then again, this probably goes for every type of instrumentalist or singer, and for every style, but I do sense it's even more essential for drummers. The worst drummer for me is the "follower" who depends on others' quality and then will colour it with some noise.

Mind you, the probably best drummer I've ever played with was not som rhythmic genius, and was rather a very melodic drummer. This is cool too. He had bollocks.

Our drummer who is now 65 grew up in the Manchester scene. Started drumming at age 14. He still uses his original kit.
Bass, snare 1 tom, floor tom, hi hats and two cymbals.
He can sound delicate or a thundering wall of drums. Fantastically rhyhtmical His timing is so good I can relax and find the groove easily.

If they have all the ability in the world it doesnt count for jack unless they're a team player. Our drummer has the full shebang except for wanting to be part of a team. He never wants to rehearse, never wants to record, never wants to go for a beer (I can live with that bit) and usually buggers off as soon as he has his kit in the car. It makes us feel like we're a burden on his life. We get well paid so the rest of us would like to see more enthusiasm.

You can spread this thread a little further.
When looking for deps do you go for the one with a first class degree or do you want to know what they actually
can do.
I find you can't necessarily take the qualifications as meaning anything really tangible, ...so you go with who you know
or who recommended them... and then if you trust that reference...??