Why become a member? ×

Drummers- what's the magic ingredient?

scalpy

Being bit of an odd job player I get to play with plenty of different drummers. Most are of a good standard and have an impressive cv and qualifications from significant colleges, yet some do just don't cut it and swing like a concrete lamp post, despite everything being technically ok. You know, in time, comfortable volume, nice kit etc but it just ain't happening. One guy I play with however does everything the same to a casual listen but grooves so hard I'll be buzzing the whole day after a gig. The drummer who always has the room dancing and going crazy- the guy who's never done a minutes private practice in his life and is probably the least educated of any musician I've ever played with. So what is it that makes a good drummer, I can't work it out by myself!? Musicianship, a very hard thing to define....

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1403898427' post='2487595']
Being bit of an odd job player I get to play with plenty of different drummers. Most are of a good standard and have an impressive cv and qualifications from significant colleges, yet some do just don't cut it and swing like a concrete lamp post, despite everything being technically ok. You know, in time, comfortable volume, nice kit etc but it just ain't happening. One guy I play with however does everything the same to a casual listen but grooves so hard I'll be buzzing the whole day after a gig. The drummer who always has the room dancing and going crazy- the guy who's never done a minutes private practice in his life and is probably the least educated of any musician I've ever played with. So what is it that makes a good drummer, I can't work it out by myself!? Musicianship, a very hard thing to define....
[/quote]

When you find out, let me know and I'll have whatever he/she's having. :mellow:

I guess I'm blessed. Ryan from Generations is the perfect drummer! Tight as a nun's chuff, very fast, powerful (loud) but controlled! Never heard him make a mistake but he's very humble and picks out mistakes that even a fussy git like me doesn't notice!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1403898849' post='2487602']
In my experience, the smaller the kit, the better the drummer!
[/quote]

I sort of know where you are coming from :)

I was depping last weekend, the band that were on before us had a very very efficient drummer, rock solid, grooving, nice swinging feel and didn't break a sweat.

Oh and a little kit.

The Drummer in the band I was with is damned fine as well but with a bigger kit.

In my limited playing experience I have been lucky enough to play with some ambsolutlely
Belting drummers, and I hadn't notice before, but they all played fusion kits (one kick, one up and one down and a snare) so there might be something in that. Obviously keeping time is essential, but my current drummer, along chewing all the essential boxes, and bloody loud, his biggest attribute is that he is keenly aware if what the rest of us, and more importantly me (selfishly of coarse) are doing. If I'm watching the hats/ride and snare for my timing cues, he is burning a hole though where my right hand is and looking for my tells of what I'm going to do. He is more aware of my playing than I am, and helps to make us a great (IMHO) rhythm section.
Also he is not a complete fruit and nut bar like
Most of the drummers out there, so start with one you can have a laugh with and work on the rest!

I've never found the perfect drummer yet. Some can swing but aren't tight and others are tight but can't swing. I play in a ska band and a blues, swing, jump jive, rockabilly type band. The ones who are good at ska can't swing and the ones who can swing can't play ska.

The really good drummers all seem to be playing in wedding bands to pay for the mortgage. Meanwhile we continue to go through drummers like Katie Price goes through husbands and like it says on my avatar, however good you are, in reality 'you're only as good as yer drummer!'.

Edited by gjones

Age and experience have nothing to do with it imo. A good drummer is one who has the right feel for the style / type of music that he is playing at the time.
I tried out with a bunch of guys last night (all in their sixties I'd guess) as I'm trying to put a Blues Band around a quality female singer I know.
The drummer who has played all his life, done pit work etc and is now a drum teacher at the local music shop could not play in a Blues style to save his life. He was in front of the groove the whole night on every different style. We'd picked one song out of six that was a shuffle, he sounded like a 10 year old three weeks after picking up the sticks.
Back to the drawing board.

I believe that it helps if they are friendly. The best drummers I ever played with were all incredibly nice people. I think it helps them give a sh*t about the whole song, about the whole band. Obviously you get friendly drummers that are crap, but then I would rather play with a friendly one that wasn't perfect than a perfect one that was a dick.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1403898427' post='2487595']
Most are of a good standard and have an impressive cv and qualifications from significant colleges, yet some do just don't cut it and swing like a concrete lamp post
[/quote]

Musical qualifications are very much like any trade paper, yes the person in question will have a lot of technical knowledge, but it won't tell you if a carpenter or bricklayer has a good eye for detail.

Interesting stuff. I totally agree about them being nice people, and I've experienced the local legends with the great cv who can't groove for toffee. One guy sounds exactly like the case above, reads, experienced, but the band just doesn't go and I end up over working the rhythm to compensate. Not sure about the necessity for killer chops, Thinking of someone like Phil Rudd he doesn't exactly cane it but the pocket is massive. Something I do agree with is the best drummers are always in the right gear for the section of the song and can still groove quietly if necessary. Oh, and have great touch on the cymbals.