Why become a member? ×

Not gig? What do you mean 'not gig'?

Bilbo

I keep hearing people (not necessarily on here) saying that, because of the internet and all the new marketing methods associated with it, there is 'no longer any need to gig'. Now, I understand the argument in logistical terms and as a a legitimate business approach (blah, blah) but WTF??!! How can you not gig? That's the bit I like!! Without that we are all bedroom boys and girls, even the millionaires :lol: I couldn't 'not gig'. I just couldn't.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]WTF??!! How can you not gig? That's the bit I like!! Without that we are all bedroom boys and girls, even the millionaires [/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] I couldn't 'not gig'. I just couldn't.[/font][/color][/quote]

+1 I'd rather not play if I can't gig but maybe I'm an attention seeking bass blagger rather than a proper musician :D

[color=#222222]I'm with you on that Bilbo![/color]
[color=#222222][/color]
[color=#222222]For a variety of reasons I'm currently I'm sans band and despite the enjoyment I get from playing at home, working stuff out and dabbling in writing, I hate not being out gigging. Hate it. My ex-sister-in-law is a very accomplished flautist, went through Guild Hall and was considered to be one of the top 5 players for her age when she graduated. Despite intending to make a living from music, she has never, ever played to an audience. Just bonkers, in my book.[/color]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1396445414' post='2413715']
I keep hearing people (not necessarily on here) saying that, because of the internet and all the new marketing methods associated with it, there is 'no longer any need to gig'. Now, I understand the argument in logistical terms and as a a legitimate business approach (blah, blah) but WTF??!! How can you not gig? That's the bit I like!! Without that we are all bedroom boys and girls, even the millionaires :lol: I couldn't 'not gig'. I just couldn't.
[/quote]

Plus about a billion! When you think about it, Meatspace is the only space there is. Or at least the only space that is actually 'real'. [size=4]I'm old enough to have spent half my life without the internet (yes, really) and I find it disturbing to have ALL your social and business life online with only the necessity for food, shelter and er, other facilities to be [/size][i]extant[/i][size=4]. Boo! Down with unreal reality![/size]

And yes, I'm aware of the irony of making this statement online. :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]
However I have also shouted it through a megaphone, written it on a piece of paper and thrown it out of the window, and I am about to make a wax cylinder recording for the archives.

I imagine that I'm in a minority here, but I don't gig.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy doing so - it's just not something I can commit to at present with the demands of family and work taking priority.

But it's not something that bothers me either. That's perhaps because I'm a [i](hobbyist)[/i] producer first and a [i](fumbling) [/i]bass player second. My real love is just the process of making music, rather than necessarily performing it, and that's something I can do quite happily without an audience. I get feedback on my music from various communities online (including this fine establishment! :)) and the occassional airplay, and while that's no substitute for live performance it is a useful form of feedback.

If I wasn't interested in production and just had the option of noodling along to songs at home then yes, I think I would get bored very quickly.

I also have mid-/long-term plans to take my music out into the world and perform it live (including an ongoing collaboration with Mike/urb here on Basschat), so live performance is certainly in the pipeline. It's just not my raison d'etre.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1396446610' post='2413744']
The only reason I play is to play gigs. The buzz of creating live music in front of an audience is what it's all about for me.
[/quote]

Agreed. If my band split up I'd be eager to get into another one as soon as possible. You cannot beat the feeling of playing live to a good audience.

For me it's a mixture of both.. just playing with other musicians is nice as well, rehearsal or just get together.
I do like the gigs and look forward to them. Once a month suits me fine, Summer time were usually at it everyweek , it's hard balancing work, family duties and the late nights that usually go with giging. When I roll into bed at 4am I sometimes ask myself if it was worth it.. normally the answer is yes. (not always lol)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1396445414' post='2413715']
[/quote]

Complete bollocks. Because of the internet and the ease of copying recordings, the gig rather than the recording has now become the saleable product.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1396446251' post='2413736']
depends on your personality ego driven extroverts like me love playing live to a crowd, but some people hate it, they can never conquer their nerves.
[/quote]

I've never had a problem with gig nerves in my life, I just absolutely hate gigging.

I have absolutely no want, need or desire to provide entertainment for strangers, I hate all the hassle of loading in & out, I hate the hanging around for hours before playing & more than anything I hate the enforced pseudo-camaraderie that being in a band always entails.

I love playing, writing & recording but gigging is, for me, just one big negative experience.

I live to gig. But it's not necessary for certain types of music. If you are a singer/songwriter/artist type in pop/hip hop/electronica or whatever, you can use the internet to do everything you need to get signed and build a large fan base, and thus be in a position to play live later on and make it work financially.

I'm not advocating it or saying it's right or wrong, but that's the way it can be.

Gigging is not the be all and end all, although it is for me.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1396448581' post='2413778']
I've never had a problem with gig nerves in my life, I just absolutely hate gigging.

I have absolutely no want, need or desire to provide entertainment for strangers, I hate all the hassle of loading in & out, I hate the hanging around for hours before playing & more than anything I hate the enforced pseudo-camaraderie that being in a band always entails.

I love playing, writing & recording but gigging is, for me, just one big negative experience.
[/quote]
I didn't mean all people that don't gig have trouble with nerves, but some do

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1396446606' post='2413743']
I imagine that I'm in a minority here, but I don't gig.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy doing so - it's just not something I can commit to at present with the demands of family and work taking priority.

But it's not something that bothers me either. That's perhaps because I'm a [i](hobbyist)[/i] producer first and a [i](fumbling) [/i]bass player second. My real love is just the process of making music, rather than necessarily performing it, and that's something I can do quite happily without an audience. I get feedback on my music from various communities online (including this fine establishment! :)) and the occassional airplay, and while that's no substitute for live performance it is a useful form of feedback.

If I wasn't interested in production and just had the option of noodling along to songs at home then yes, I think I would get bored very quickly.

I also have mid-/long-term plans to take my music out into the world and perform it live (including an ongoing collaboration with Mike/urb here on Basschat), so live performance is certainly in the pipeline. It's just not my raison d'etre.
[/quote]

ah, that's what I would like to be able to say. :)

Sadly I need to gig still, mostly for the moolah. :)

I think innovations in technology have been amazing in terms of what we can do now (eg digital amp emulation/home recording) but I personally think the /new generation' of musicians/bands, (maybe its a certain genre or two that attracts it) has taken a less personal approach to making music.

Example 1 - I get an invite to try out with a band. I offer to meet for a drink/chat before this to see where they are going, what they plan to do, how much time they have on their hands (some people barely work which would clash with my long hours). You know, to be social, to get a feel of what they are like, see if we get on.

What do I get back? Invite to a long facebook message with multiple people I don't know. They don't want to meet locally (they were all students with time on their hands - been there done that) they just want to send everything electronically. They couldn't even arrange a local meet up, or a practice. I gave up.

Example 2 - A band back home, who had a flurry of interest and seemed to be getting somewhere, (although this died off) recorded everything in a bedroom with no amps, no actual drums, no real bass (they used some recording technique) and lots of effects to cover up any issues with the quality. They still do this now. They barely practice, they do everything electronically, and barely gig...it just doesn't seem to be a 'band' in the traditional sense. There is barely any human contact between them! Don't get me started on using computer programmed drums instead of their actual drummer.

I'm old, so may not count for the porpoises of this thread, but here's my tuppence-worth...

Many (many...) decades ago, with my younger brother and his school chums, the groups we formed were essentially for original stuff; we organised our own concerts in church halls or pub rooms. The idea was to practice, rehearse, then (modestly...) gig. There was no question of PA's, lights an' all; we had no or little revenue. Concerts were either free admission or symbolic shillings.
In moving to France, I became drummer in touring variety bands, doing local dances and functions. Repertoire was dance stuff, folk or 'musette', some light pop/rock. I had no choice in this, and played from score or by ear. I only had to do drums (and a bit of driving, but that's another story...). Gigging was 'pro', and paid the bills.
Married, family and all, I took up a job in a music shop, but continued 'depping' and doing weddings and such with a buddy as a two-some. Depping..? No choice of set. Weddings..? Our choice, but needed to fit the occasion. The money came in handy.
After many years, my chum stopped getting dates to concentrate on his teaching, and I stopped taking on dep stuff. By now, though, the kids were of an age to take up playing, so I joined/formed a group with the two sons and another pair of buddies. We play our own selection of '80s to modern pop/rock, in our fashion. Rehearsal roughly weekly when weather is good (no heating yet in the music room..!), and gig 3 or 4 times a year, by invitation. We are autonomous, play for free and enjoy even the 'off' bits, which become anecdotes later on to be laughed over.
Nevertheless, it's now got to the point where we can quite do without going before a public for our pleasure. We enjoy playing between ourselves, and find the logistics of heaving all the stuff into the truck, then hauling it back, to be more of a bummer than the playing is worth. If we could just turn up and play, we'd do it with great enthusiasm, but the time and effort needed has become too much.
This year may be my last 'on stage', but I certainly won't miss 'playing out', excepting the stage buzz. I've had my share, and regret none of it. I would do it all again, no doubt (well, maybe not that time when the lead singer bawled me out for trying to help her pack up her song sheets..! :rolleyes: ). Playing before an audience can be (and should be...) great, but it does get tiring when one has to do all the support work. I'm lucky, I'm 20 years older than the next oldest in our group, so I can now limit my efforts to collecting up the mic's and folding away the cables. I even get assistance to set up and break down my drums..! Enjoy it while you can, I say, but be prepared to change outlook later (much later...) on.

Even tho I can get pretty picky about gigs, the ones that I do do, I pretty much look forward to.
I don't want to be out every week, but maybe that is reflected in the gigs not being special enough
but I am quite excited about the musical element of my current band.,,, and especially some of the gigs we have this summer

Agree that most bands are only viable when they gig or tour.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1396448581' post='2413778']

[/quote]that sounds exactly like me, why do i wanna drive round the country and get in at 3am for a bag of peanuts playing to 12 people in a sh*t old pub while everyone else is either out having fun or got their feet up on the sofa.... God i feel better after that.

Music is communicated in many ways, and ways in the future that we haven't even thought of yet.

I can date back what your saying to a band who where very big in the late 80s, at least the records where, when saw them live they where awful and had no idea, but what they did in a studio really rocked my boat.

Personally I love gigging, and I love gigs , namely small ones, not overproduced big venue type gigs, but everyone is different.