Why become a member? ×

What Didn't You Like...But Now You Do?

Lowender

Actives. Been through a lot of active basses (including Overwaters, Shukers and several Rays), and what I think I didn't like was the active circuits.

Finally got to put an East U-Retro in a bass, and it's like a light coming on - I love it, I have't touched my amp EQ since, and I'm seriously considering drilling holes in my beloved Dingwall to fit one into that, too...

Celery.

And not a bass guitar, but valve amps. 28 Years ago I was using a cobbled together valve amp that hummed, hissed, and failed at any moment. Never again - give me a reliable SS amp any day. I couldn't afford one so ended up slowly building my own over a six month period.

Wind forward to now, and my current fave squeeze is my Little Bastard 30. It's divine.

P basses. I tried one when I first started playing years (and years) ago, and thought they were 'old man' basses.

I wouldn't say that I love them, but I'm certainly more enthusiastic about them as I approach the big 40...

..and a HUGE +1 for Dandelion's 'sobriety and slippers' manifesto!

Edited by paul_5

Anything Sunburst

P Basses: Started with nothing but Jazz basses because i thought the P Bass was 'flat and boring and too traditional'. Then i got a decent one and a love affair began. Shed all my jazz basses bar two and went almost Precision only. I thought the Jazz lacked any real depth by comparison.
Weirdly though, since getting my hands on a sunburst 2011 Am Std. Jazz (seriously the best build quality and tone I have EVER experienced!!!) I am starting to think my heart is big enough for both. (Maybe not my music room though...)

Aria basses (really want a black SB!!!)

Anything Squier: Had a couple of horrible ones when I first started playing (borrowed), really put me off them. Loved every one of the VM series I have tried (that 51 reissue one is amazingly nice to play!. I sold my VM Jaguar last month with a genuine tear in my eye, she was simply stunning (I'd have another one in a heartbeat!)

Lightweight/Class D amps and cabs (now loving the TC BH250!!!)

Marmite

Can I have a P please Bob.

I never used to like them because, as stupid as it may seem now, when I started as a youngster all the cheap packages you used to get with bass, amp, strap and a set of pitch pipes, you know the deal, were always a P bass copy, usually black or red with a nasty white pickguard. I just associated P basses with cheapness.
There were so many other types of bass around that I didn't go near a P for years, and then I got an urge, and now I love 'em ................ still no white plates though please :D .

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383413570' post='2264256']
Passive basses. I've been playing active Warwicks for a long while but I bought a gorgeous 1983 USA Standard Jazz with the intention of fitting a John East J-Retro (I've had a few before and they are amazing), but I have grown to love the passive sound of it.
[/quote]

Same here! The change came when I outfitted my MIJ '75 Jazz RI with an Audere preamp... and stopped playing it for almost a year, even though it's an awesome bass <_<. Converted it back to passive, and I love it now! I then started thinking what controls I really use on my active basses, and concluded that my ideal onboard EQ consists of just a passive treble rolloff (your regular passive tone control) paired to an active bass boost. And that's exactly what I have in my Jazz now. Just perfect!

And Ampeg. I've played clean-sounding amps most of the time, and have always been a big fan of EBS amps. I have owned an Ashdown ABM for some time, but went back to EBS. Then, out of sheer curiosity, I bought a used Ampeg SVP CL tube rack preamp and LOVED it! It nails that classic SVT tone, but can also do a very flat and uncoloured clean tone and anything in between. One of the best tube preamps I have heard. Later, I also got an SVP PRO and it's my main tool now. It can get really dirty and fat, with lots of tonal options. It works wonders with my Warwick Streamer LX5: lots of body, agressive mids and that slightly clanky Warwick attack that keeps everything clear and well-defined even with some overdrive.

Edited by LeftyJ

Jazz basses - Hated the thin neck, double pick up configuration and stupid control plate. Now I love them and really want to build one like Kevin's 62/66 Oly White one but with a few differences.

Telecasters - being the awesome "metalhead" that I am, Telecasters seemed too girly. That way until I played one and fell in love with it

Mid range - Too honky. Now I build my tone around it

Overdrive / Distortion - Used to be all about the clean. Now I love a bit of grit

Hartke - Used to use their stuff at a practise space and hated it (mainly because it was broken as well) but now I use their LH500 and want to get a 2nd one.

EB-0/EB-3 basses. Used to hate the 2 stupid pick ups and short scale neck. Now I've seen Epiphone do an EB-3 with set neck, trapezoid inlays, 34" scale and I like the pick ups now.

Guacamole, 3/4 shorts and PlayStation.

Yeah...

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1383397807' post='2264029']
I never understood why anyone would use passive single coils. They're weaker and noisier. Now, I understand passives sound more natural and woodsy and single coils have a sweetness to them that humbuckers do not.
[/quote]

This.

Mosrite guitars. Back in the 70s when I first saw them, i thought they looked awkward, and unbalanced with the lower horn longer than the upper one. These days I think they look great and if I can't afford a real one or a [url=http://www.mosrite.co.jp/products/srg/1963-model.html]Fillmore[/url], I'll be happy to make do with a [url=http://hallmarkguitars.com/guitars/60-custom.shtml]Hallmark 60 Custom[/url].