Why become a member? ×

Cutting back to only one bass?

Fionn

I'm seriously thinking about it ... Just knocking it on the head and reverting to my old fretless Aria SB900.

It's the nicest feeling nicest sounding bass that I've ever played, and what the hell, I play fretless better than I do the fretted bass these days. It's twin-pickups are phase switchable and each has it's own tone and volume control, so I have a lot of tonal control at the bass. I also dabble with effects so tonal limitations are not a problem. Especially as the music that I'm becoming involved in is not dependent on that "whatever" sound. I can make the bass sound good, and play basically whatever I like. Nobody will become cross with me.

I'm having these thoughts, really doubting that I need my Warwick, and then I pick it up and play it. Sooo different, but it also feels and sounds amazing with different things going for it, which is a head-screw. I don't know if this is just a "simplification" fad that I'm entering into, or whether it's the overwhelming logic of the situation telling me to just be faithfull to that beautifully-made Japanese bass of the gods, and giving myself completely to its silky passive fretless lushness?

I'm just mulling it over really, but having doubts both ways. What do you guys reckon? Have any of you acted out a similar situation, and either strongly regretted or felt glad about it?

Just wondering.

Edited by Fionn

I keep buying other basses and selling them again. But my Bass Doc Custom P does everything I ask of it. I'm coming to the conclusion that having one bass is a good idea because you can then spend all that time you waste (having GAS for other basses, buying other basses, fettling, modding and maintaining other basses) on playing the 'one' bass. :) Your mileage may vary.

Don't do it . Unless you are desperate for the money or you dislike the Warwick( doesn't sound like you do) then if you are a bass player it always makes good sense to have a decent fretted four string bass , even if you currently favour playing fretless. Think about what your requirements might be in the long term and it makes sense to keep the Streamer, especially a nice vintage one . Think about the cost and hassle of replacing it with something of equal quality if you ever regret parting with it, as you may well find you do. Put it away for a while if you must, but don't just sell it as part of acting out some romantic image of yourself devoting yourself to the fretless.

Edited by Dingus

It's a common theme on here - that certainly applies to me, although there seem to be some iron-willed guys above - of gigging happily for years and even decades with one bass and one amp, until joining BC.........

........and then you're doomed :blink:

Dont do it!! You'll just end buying them back later. Put them under the bed while you feel like you don't need them!

I have two gigging basses and one that I keep purely for sentimental reasons and only gets played in the house. However, none of them is a precision... So looks like I need one more to be 'complete' and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a Nate Mendel.

Edited by skej21

Always have a backup. I only use the one bass live, but you never know what might happen - constant rattling around from being in the car may make a solder joint become detached, so if you have only one bass, the gig is off unless you can fix. I love the idea of only having one bass, after all I`ve only got one amp which could also have the same issue, but for some reason I feel I need a backup bass-wise (have a DI/FX unit for amp breakage issues).

I would not do it; it's a disaster waiting to happen if you gig with only one bass. Back in the '80s I went down to one bass when I bought my Status Series II and a few months later the bass cut out on me in the middle of a gig. Even if you're not gigging, it's still nice to have something else to 'go to' ratheyour Number One.

I'd say keep the Warwick unless you are desperate for the dosh i.e. eviction or mortgage foreclosure imminent!

(1) Always good to have a spare.
(2) The things you say about it show that it takes you to a different place musically, and it is therefore a worthwhile instrument to own.

Don't sell your Warwick. As a minimum you should keep a fretted and fretless. Having gathered a few basses over the years I like having the availability of either fretted or fretless for whatever I feel like playing at any one time.

I think getting rid of a classic Warwick Streamer might be a big regret.

Dave

[quote name='Heathy' timestamp='1381663622' post='2241899']
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]To quote Master Yoda: "Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice".[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Yeah, but he also said [i]"Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!"[/i] :D

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1381657944' post='2241800']
I would not do it; it's a disaster waiting to happen if you gig with only one bass. Back in the '80s I went down to one bass when I bought my Status Series II and a few months later the bass cut out on me in the middle of a gig. Even if you're not gigging, it's still nice to have something else to 'go to' ratheyour Number One.
[/quote]

This. It once happened to me too. Luckily I had spare handy, although I'll admit that's not always the case.

I very nearly did what you are contemplating a few years ago - I was going to get rid of the couple of basses I had & just keep my fretless Zon Legacy.

I'm so glad I didn't as I came to hate the sound of fretless bass & sold it - if I'd got rid of my fretted basses I would have been in a bit of a pickle.

Depends why

If you need the money then one bass is fine for anyone, unless they are a pro and need an arsenal to meet requirements

If you need to de clutter your mind, then it might work, but GAS may return

If none of the above apply and you can't find another reason, then basses always remain a cash asset, they may come in handy, give you joy and look nice around the home.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1381666418' post='2241939']
...basses always remain a cash asset, they may come in handy, give you joy and look nice around the home.
[/quote]

Sound advice from Kirsty Allsopp there... :D

Edited by RhysP