Why become a member? ×

Cutting back to only one bass?

Fionn

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381673677' post='2242072']
Some time ago, I went out shopping one day and Kirsty Allsop was at the end of my road filming . She looked very nice.

Thanks for listening .
[/quote]

What a coincidence - she once filmed at the end of my friend Gareths road - maybe you know each other?

Kirsty's lovely.

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1381654865' post='2241752']
It's a common theme on here - that certainly applies to me, although there seem to be some iron-willed guys above - of gigging happily for years and even decades with one bass and one amp, until joining BC.........

........and then you're doomed :blink:
[/quote]

Yes that was my downfall. But having bought and sold so many different basses over the last 3 or 4 years, I have a good idea of what I'm looking for in a bass.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381673677' post='2242072']
Some time ago, I went out shopping one day and Kirsty Allsop was at the end of my road filming . She looked very nice.

Thanks for listening .
[/quote]

The same thing happened with me, except it was her bald pal filming. I looked everywhere for Kirsty Allsop but couldn't find her :(

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1381673880' post='2242074']
What a coincidence - she once filmed at the end of my friend Gareths road - maybe you know each other?

Kirsty's lovely.
[/quote]

Could be- but then again , Kirsty spends a lot of time filming at the end of people's roads the length and breadth of Britain .

I have been an avid fan of hers since since she exploded onto our screens in her leather skirt and black leather boots all those years ago now . When I saw her that day for a fleeting moment I thought destiny had brought us together , but she pretended not to notice me so I bought some courgettes and toilet rolls and went home again :( .

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1381674508' post='2242090']
The same thing happened with me, except it was her bald pal filming. I looked everywhere for Kirsty Allsop but couldn't find her :(
[/quote]

I saw Baldy at Edinburgh Airport a few weeks ago. He kept staring at me. I felt a bit awkward. :blink: [quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1381654865' post='2241752']
It's a common theme on here - that certainly applies to me, although there seem to be some iron-willed guys above - of gigging happily for years and even decades with one bass and one amp, until joining BC.........

........and then you're doomed :blink:
[/quote]

Yip, me too!

I'd definitely keep the fretted bass as well even if you are all about the fretless, you just never know.
Unless money is an issue then get rid and replace when more suitable.
Unless it's not financially viable to sell and then replace as you'd lose too much.
Ahh what help am I? :D

I've been trying to do a similar thing but it appears (in my head) that I still need a 4 fretted, 4 fretless, 5 fretted, 4 acoustic, 4 semi and my Variax because it's so versatile. Oh and then the EUB and acoustic doublebass .............. oh yeah and the homemade UBass I'm in the middle of.
What I did manage to rid of it would seem is most of my will power :D

This is great, thanks guys. It's always good to hear some perspective when the mind is racing with a risky idea. I love the Basschat community for this kind of thing :)

I don't need to sell the Warwick for the cash or any reason. Someone suggested that it might be "de-cluttering" of the mind. I think that's where this all stems from really ... Having a desire to simplify things and having to talk myself into it because the idea of letting go of the fretted bass isn't entirely comfortable. The lumpy majority of you guys think that cutting back to just the fretless is a bad idea, and with really good reasons. Aye, there lies sense, and I'll go with that.

That said, Ray Against the Machine touched on something that tickled my thinking.
[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1381656433' post='2241780']
You could sell the warwick, and buy the fretted broter(or sister) to the aria .that way , you have best bass for all situations .
[/quote]
Hmmmmmm ... do something to consolidate the sound and feel a little more between my fretted and fretless basses? Interesting suggestion. Perhaps sacrifice the Warwick for another (fretted) Aria SB? Something passive, or with a passive option (does the SB1000 have a passive option?). I've [b]always[/b] played nice Warwicks, but as much as I truly love them I could maybe benefit from a change of scenery. You know, shake it up a bit.

Edited by Fionn

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1381694603' post='2242537']
... Perhaps sacrifice the Warwick for another (fretted) Aria SB? Something passive, or with a passive option (does the SB1000 have a passive option?). I've [b]always[/b] played nice Warwicks, but as much as I truly love them I could maybe benefit from a change of scenery. You know, shake it up a bit.
[/quote]
My SB-1000 does have an active/passive switch - but still won't utter a sound without batteries in. I'm guessing it's not a true bypass. :)

I've got too many basses, and not enough time to play them
I really should sell 1 or 2 of them

But, as others have said, two really is the minimum a gigging bass player should own
When gigging, I always take a spare - I've never needed it
but you just don't know what could happen;
a string snap, the electrics develop a fault, or the battery go dead (if you've got active pickups)

A guitarist pal of mine always carries a spare, in case of strings snapping
The one time he didn't, we was playing in a rough-ish pub
some drunken eejit was dancing & fell on him, breaking the jack plug & damaging the socket...
.... he did manage an on the spot repair - but it was touch & go...

You could always try & seek out a Warwick fretless, if your heart is set on fretless only
- then do a trade in if / when you find one....
Me? I'd keep the vintage Warwick :)

Two basses sounds like a sensible approach, particularly when one's a fretless. I could get away with one bass if it was a five string, since I play stuff in both drop Bb and normal EADG tunings. The only five string I played was too difficult to adjust to, so I stick with two four string basses (plus one I keep for sentimental reasons like someone else in this thread).

The smart money says have a fretted and fretless. I have a 4 string fretted and fretless and a 5 string fretted and fretless. However, there is the appeal of having just one instrument and being known as the guy with 'that' bass and 'that' tone. If you feel you want to be this guy but don't want to fully commit, take your Warwick, put it in a case and store it away somewhere safe and cosy for at least 6 months. If after your one bass trial you feel that 2 is the better bet, then you're already set and can retrieve it from storage. Conversely you become one bass man and we see your Warwick in the BC Marketplace next spring.