Why become a member? ×

Do older strings sound nicer than new ones?

BetaFunk

No.... because you don't get much variation out of them, in terms of sound,.

You may LOVE the thunk sound, but that is all you'll have and you'll be stuck with it.

If strings are full of gunk, then your limits are what the string can produce.
Now you may not want to..and that is fine... but you can't clean that sound up...it is what it is.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1374785828' post='2153301']
No.... because you don't get much variation out of them, in terms of sound,.

You may LOVE the thunk sound, but that is all you'll have and you'll be stuck with it.
[/quote]
No, wrong, because there is something called EQ and also you can move your plucking hand from end of neck to pickup to close to bridge for a wide range of different sounds. Anyway, you call it 'thunk' but I call it 'bass'.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1374785828' post='2153301']
If strings are full of gunk, then your limits are what the string can produce.
Now you may not want to..and that is fine... but you can't clean that sound up...it is what it is.
[/quote]
My flats are clean and not full of gunk at all.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1374786139' post='2153309']
Yes...and no!
[/quote]

...or even maybe. Depends on the strings , how dead they are and what sound you have in mind . If you want to sound like Geddy Lee then new strings will help you get closer to that sound , but if you want to sound like Rocco Prestia then old , dead strings will be more appropriate . My own research would conclude that the old string sound is definitely cheaper .

YES - I hate the clank and brightness of new strings.
Sounds like a Rickenbacker which as we all know is a horrible, horrible sound.... :ph34r: .

- may as well play one of those six sting guitar thingies......

Edited by bagsieblue

Newish strings, EQ out any excessive brightness, IMO. You can take brightness away but it's hard to add it back in, and I'm sure someone in the know will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't (aren't?) there a myriad of lovely harmonic overtones lower in the frequency range that provide a richer tone but arent necessarily associated with "brightness" that get lost when strings are gunked up?

Obviously all depends what sound you want though at the end of the day...

Edited by Wil

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1374789475' post='2153379']
YES - I hate the clank and brightness of new strings.
Sounds like a Rickenbacker which as we all know is a horrible, horrible sound.... :ph34r: .

- may as well play one of those six sting guitar thingies......
[/quote]
Rickenbackers don't have to clank. MacCartney never clanks on a Rickenbacker.

If you want a dead sound, use flats. But I can tell you from my experience, most engineers, clients, composers and band members prefer the sound of round wounds. Flats have become the new chic among bassplayers but no one else seems to be on board.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1374796623' post='2153479']
Flats have become the new chic among bassplayers but no one else seems to be on board.
[/quote]

I don't think that's at all true. What I would say is that string choice is very dependant on what a record, a band or a live performance requires, so it's nice to have everything or at least a decent cross-section of instruments strung differently. Having said that there have been enough bass players that have made a living from only using one instrument.