Why become a member? ×

Do older strings sound nicer than new ones?

BetaFunk

Mostly newish strings for me, but I have a couple of basses with really dead strings on for that thumpy sound.

I don't like absolutely brand new strings, too zingy, but after a week or two of playing they'll still have all the harmonic overtones without being too bright.

I personally prefer the deep bright sound of new strings.. dunno about anyone else but my bass never sounds clangy...

I can't stand a dull lifeless thud and change the strings on all my basses at least once a month.

Obviously this being my personal opinion means that it is the absolute truth, as bass playing is exactly the same thing to everyone who plays.The very suggestion that different people might like different sounds is preposterous....

Rob

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374817641' post='2153515']
Completely depends on what type and make of string you are using and what sorts of sounds you want them to make.
[/quote]

This.
And I think it's fair to say that many of us have more than one instrument, so the possibility exists that the different basses could use different types/ ages of string to achieve the desired effect. No compromises required.

I've been using flats for about 2 years, and live they are amazing with my P bass. But for recording there just wasn't enough mid definition. I recently got the heads up on half wounds, so I fitted a set, and what a difference. they're a lovely half way between flats and rounds, like it says on the tin. For gigs they still have the depth, and it is nice to have the option of some more mids to play with which has been really useful as I like my overdrive pedals where the sweet sounds need mids to shine. For the studio work, the mid definition I craved is all back. I haven't had an engineer complain about them yet, actually I'm getting compliments on my tone and I'm often being asked what strings are on the bass.
It's half wounds all the way for me now :D

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1374796623' post='2153479']
If you want a dead sound, use flats. But I can tell you from my experience, most engineers, clients, composers and band members prefer the sound of round wounds. Flats have become the new chic among bassplayers but no one else seems to be on board.
[/quote]
Flats don't only do dead - except in some people's imaginations.

Flats are not merely 'the new chic' as they have probably been used on the great number of classic recordings.

In my experience most engineers, clients, composers and band members have no interest in the bassist's strings.

Guest bassman7755

Seriously though I'm definitely in the new strings camp which makes coated strings the only economically viable option. If someone invented a string that sounded "new" forever but cost £200 Id buy a set tomorrow.

I hate new strings, to me, theyre much better after a month when the klank and zing had died down.

Is it me or has something changed with strings, either in the materials or the manufacturing methods ?

I'm sure new ones zing and klank more than they did years ago, and seem to go dead much sooner and more suddenly, so the time beteween when they are just nicely played, and dead seems shorter.

We have been here before haven't we? Some peoples idea of top or treble or zing is very different to the next mans, flats on a p bass through an Ashdown won't get you even close to a GB bass through an ebs rig it just won't! Sure the P might sound good but the GB can be cut and shaped to get close, certainly close enough for a covers band situation playing varied music, that's why people use those kind of set ups :)

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1374787992' post='2153342']
Depends on what you;re going for. I've had a set on my old P for years and it suits the mellow sound. But on a Music Man, I need "zing."
[/quote] Yeah I agree totally - new(ish) ones on my Musicman and old(ish) on the Fender, which tends to get the MM's 'hand me downs' so to speak.

I've never understood the people who claim that bright new roundwounds can be made to sound like flats or even older rounds simply through EQ. The character is quite different, and I think it's as much in the attack and decay as the overall frequency content. I like flats or tapes with the upper mids and highs boosted slightly, they can still be bright but in a way that has grunt rather than metallic clang or zing. I can't get the same sound by using a set of new roundwounds and turning down my tone control - I've tried and it's a different thing entirely.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1374844158' post='2153978']
I've never understood the people who claim that bright new roundwounds can be made to sound like flats or even older rounds simply through EQ. The character is quite different, and I think it's as much in the attack and decay as the overall frequency content. I like flats or tapes with the upper mids and highs boosted slightly, they can still be bright but in a way that has grunt rather than metallic clang or zing. I can't get the same sound by using a set of new roundwounds and turning down my tone control - I've tried and it's a different thing entirely.
[/quote]
I agree, if you read my post what I'm saying is that you can get closer to flats or dull old rounds with rounds and an eq than you can get an old set of flats to sizzle :)

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1374848274' post='2154037']
I wonder if there is a market for reliced strings?
[/quote]

They wouldn't sound the same as genuine vintage dead strings . The recent trend towards coated strings is actually nothing new . In the 1970's your typical bass player was using a set of dead -as -a -doornail Rotosound Swing Bass that was usually coated in a layer of chip fat , by virtue of the fact that that was all most people in Britain had to eat due to the economic crisis brought about by the Labour Government , Hyperinflation and militant trades unions . Subsequently ,back in the 1980's most bass players were wearing hair gel that made strings die off quicker and gave a distinctive sound that can be heard on many recordings of the era by bands like A Flock Of Seagiulls and The Thompson Twins . Reliced strings would need to be treated with the[u] right [/u]kind of chip fat and/ or genuine 1980's hair gel to sound , feel and look authentic , or another Basschat ruckfest would ensue .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374850111' post='2154074']Rotosound Swing Bass that was usually coated in a layer of chip fat , Reliced strings would need to be treated with the[u] right [/u]kind of chip fat[/quote]

Only beef dripping will do. None of your hydrogenated vegetable oils for me thanks.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1374852084' post='2154098']
Only beef dripping will do. None of your hydrogenated vegetable oils for me thanks.
[/quote]

Beef dripping in the North , ( better midrange ) good old fashioned lard in the South ( slightly more sparkly treble , sounds good on a Stingray ) .

Edited by Dingus