Why become a member? ×

Do older strings sound nicer than new ones?

BetaFunk

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374850111' post='2154074']
They wouldn't sound the same as genuine vintage dead strings . The recent trend towards coated strings is actually nothing new . In the 1970's your typical bass player was using a set of dead -as -a -doornail Rotosound Swing Bass that was usually coated in a layer of chip fat , by virtue of the fact that that was all most people in Britain had to eat due to the economic crisis brought about by the Labour Government , Hyperinflation and militant trades unions . Subsequently ,back in the 1980's most bass players were wearing hair gel that made strings die off quicker and gave a distinctive sound that can be heard on many recordings of the era by bands like A Flock Of Seagiulls and The Thompson Twins . Reliced strings would need to be treated with the[u] right [/u]kind of chip fat and/ or genuine 1980's hair gel to sound , feel and look authentic , or another Basschat ruckfest would ensue .
[/quote]

But I was playing Bass in the 70s, and changed my strings more often than nowadays. I'm sure they didnt zing clang or klank anywhere near as much as they do now.

Also, financially I was far better off when Harold was PM than I am now. No I'm not trying to get politics into the thread, I was better off in the Thatcher years as well. I just think theres a lot of cobblers talked about the so called Dark days of the 70s thats all.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374845227' post='2153992']
I agree, if you read my post what I'm saying is that you can get closer to flats or dull old rounds with rounds and an eq than you can get an old set of flats to sizzle :)
[/quote]
If you were playing in a covers band and needed to emulate a range of sounds with a single bass, I could see this being a workable approach. I guess I'm fairly lucky to play in originals bands where I can seek out the sound I like and use it as I see fit rather than having to cover all bases. If I can't get sizzle out of my setup, no-one misses it!

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1374853792' post='2154118']
But I was playing Bass in the 70s, and changed my strings more often than nowadays. I'm sure they didnt zing clang or klank anywhere near as much as they do now.

Also, financially I was far better off when Harold was PM than I am now. No I'm not trying to get politics into the thread, I was better off in the Thatcher years as well. I just think theres a lot of cobblers talked about the so called Dark days of the 70s thats all.
[/quote]

I am in fact trying ( and obviously failing ) to make a humorous point not entirely based on fact - I remember eating new potatoes as well as chips during the 1970's , for example - but I think statistically , the material standard of living has improved considerably for most people in Britain since the 70's . For what it's worth , though , I don't think the 1970's were the dark days some people try and portray them as , either . Broadly speaking ,it was a time when this country and its' people still placed some value the common , collective good of society as a whole rather than just on their own individual gain .

Edited by Dingus

ooh are we talking steels or nickels??
Hex or round core?

Personally I like the sound of round core steels from about a week after fitting them till they are dead. When they are dead depends on the string as different strings last longer than other - set of stadium elites lasted 3-4 months, set of DR Fatbeams lasted over two years on the P bass and then one day suddenly lost it.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1374855451' post='2154146']
If you were playing in a covers band and needed to emulate a range of sounds with a single bass, I could see this being a workable approach. I guess I'm fairly lucky to play in originals bands where I can seek out the sound I like and use it as I see fit rather than having to cover all bases. If I can't get sizzle out of my setup, no-one misses it!
[/quote]

I used to do all originals, Stingray-Zoom fx-Ashdown every gig for 5 years no problem at all then I ventured into function/wedding bands (and Basschat!) thats when a more versatile rig has helped but I have also learnt more styles and techniques to cover the genres on a single H ray of sorts where others would choose either a Jazz/multi pup bass or a selection of basses, it is all in the fingers as they say :)

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1374853792' post='2154118']

[/quote]

Quite a few string manufacturers ship their strings in airtight sealed packaging which maybe helps keep them bright.

Maybe they use better quality metal wire now. Cars last for ever these days but in the 70s they were rusty before they left the factory, well the British and Italian ones were anyway :blink:

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1374860398' post='2154224']
Quite a few string manufacturers ship their strings in airtight sealed packaging which maybe helps keep them bright.

Maybe they use better quality metal wire now. Cars last for ever these days but in the 70s they were rusty before they left the factory, well the British and Italian ones were anyway :blink:
[/quote]

There wasnt so much choice as now, it was Rotos or Picato, maybe Fenders. Only flats I saw came on a bass I bought new, I liked em, but couldnt get any more when they died about 3 years later.

Roto swing bass were definitely not the same as they are now Disapinting really, they used to be great in my humble opinion but now some of the real cheapos are nearly as good, and last better.

Oh yeah, ALL cars rusted in the 70s not just BL & Lancias.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1374921896' post='2154792']
You could pay extra to have your new car 'undersealed' but they still rusted.
[/quote]

Even Waxoiled, where holes were drilled and some thick sticky stuff that smells like WD40 was sprayed in, trouble was the corrosion had already started by then so it was too late. Changing car electrics from +ve earth to -ve earth was supposed to help as well..

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1374785377' post='2153293']
Discuss please.
[/quote]
Ok then.

Good quality strings sound great when old. Low quality strings sound crap when old. Might depend on your style of playing, pick/fingers/slap or the genre of music.

Personally, i love older strings - they are more predictable, better on the fingers and less "zippy".

But there's old (when they've just lost that extra bright edge) and then there's so old that the frets have worn ridges in the windings which means that the strings will no longer intonate properly.

TBH since the greater availability of different strings on-line the need to "play-in" strings should have gone. You just have to find the ones that sound right to you straight out of the packet. There's plenty of different strings out there so it's not like the old days when you were limited to the one or two brands your local music shop stocked.

Of all the strings I have ever used , DR's sound the best when they get old . And the now discontinued Dean Markley Alchemy Randy Jackson Signature strings also sounded great when they got old , too , but you can't get them anymore , and they were expensive anyway .

I love the sound and feel of new strings.

In love the elasticity that they have and the zing they produce.

After about 2-3months in a non gigging environment (not currently in a band of any sorts).. To me they sound rounded yes but lack the sparkle.

Admittedly I do stretch the strings once they are on and go very slap happy for a bit to 'break' them in and then settle down.

But as with all things.. God didn't make human ears and brains to all be the same.

:)