Why become a member? ×

If you could play bass in any band...

Nibody

Which would it be?

I was thinking about this whilst drifting through Youtube when the wife was out at a friends. Not for reasons of virtuosity or anything else, just because you'd like to.

Myself I was thinking somewhere between The Wildhearts , Sprigsteens East Street Band and The Gaslight Anthem. Not particularly based on my ability or the ability of the bass players or the amount of money they make/dont make. They are just three bands that when i hear songs by them I think "I want to be on stage playing that song, and the band looks a blast".

WASP if Blackie didn't so desperately need a slap. Megadeth if Mustaine didn't so desperately need a slap and a kick in the balls. Or maybe Slayer, which is odd because I rarely listen to them but I just love the riff basedness of their music. Or Pearl Jam. I can't say Motörhead for obvious reasons.

Actually, the ultimate for me would be The Vision Bleak if only their live shows matched their music. A frilly shirt and a waistcoat, on just the singer and lead guitarist, just doesn't live up to the grand theatre of their music.

I'm not very good at this.

Good question :D

If I ignore skill level on my part... I'd love to be able to play Jamiraqui basslines. I know JK is meant to be a bit of a w*nker, but he don't half have some groove in his music..... My skill level is very very far away from that though!

Looking at what my skills could manage, Id pitch up at Hyde Park and play for the Stones this summer :P

Cliché as hell, but I grew up listening to Metallica and they were my main inspiration for bass AND guitar when I used to play. I can play most of their songs, and they have a pretty amazing live show. I'd have such a blast playing for them and would never get bored!

Agree with the OP suggestion of Wildhearts - they always look like they have a blast, both on and off stage. Though I couldn't beat current bassist Random Jon Poole for sheer wackiness.

Musically, Stranglers would be my ideal, as I'm a showoff and love how loud the bass is in the mix.

Red Hot Chili Peppers when they had John on guitar. I like Josh too, but i want to play with John. The only thing is, it's a complete non-issue, because nobody could fill in the place of Flea, so if i was to play with them, it wouldn't be RHCP anymore... It would be 3 members of RHCP and me.

Yes, i've thought about this many, MANY times!