Why become a member? ×

If you could play bass in any band...

Nibody

Like Nige I am already the bass player in my current favourite band.

However back in the early 80s when I first started gigging, there was another local band that I would have given anything to be the bassist for. Their music was awesome - a hybrid of the best bits of Joy Divison/New Order and Simple Minds - and their bass parts were front and centre in the mix both live and on record. I had recording of one of their gigs on cassette and had just about played it to death playing along learning the parts (something that I had never done with "proper" bands). I dropped numerous hints that if their bassist couldn't do a gig for any reason I'd be more than happy to step in and help them out, this was a close as I was going to get to playing with them. Then out of the blue the bass player quit the band ...and they replaced him with someone else (not me). I took my revenge by nicking their keyboard player for my new band, and they split up shortly afterwards.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1365207640' post='2036878']
Stop being so smug lol....behave yourself.
[/quote]

:D

If I had to pick another, and providing I'd had the educashum, it would have to be Zappa's bands, any line up from early '70s to '88 would do :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365241994' post='2037060']

:D

If I had to pick another, and providing I'd had the educashum, it would have to be Zappa's bands, any line up from early '70s to '88 would do :)
[/quote]

Beat me to it.

Or Steel Pulse, that would be nice.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1365251176' post='2037195']
Beat me to it.

Or Steel Pulse, that would be nice.
[/quote]

OOOH! Good call!! Me, it would have to be Linton Kwesi Johnson '80s / '90s, or maybe one of Adrian Sherwood's bands.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365252819' post='2037222']

OOOH! Good call!! Me, it would have to be Linton Kwesi Johnson '80s / '90s, or maybe one of Adrian Sherwood's bands.
[/quote]

Tackhead!

While were in the area of AS and Denis Bovell...the Slits? That would have been scary fun.

I'm sure it's a given that we'd all like to play in our favourite band but, for me, the ultimate fantasy would be to have played at some of the milestone gigs. So, off the top of my head:

Woodstock - playing with Santana, The Band, The Who or Jefferson Airplane
IOW - playing with Jimi Hendrix
The Beatles at Shea - just to have been there
Queen at Live Aid
Playing to 1m+ people with the Stones in Rio
The Wall - with Roger Waters in Berlin (er, OK, we'd have to fight over the bass parts :lol: )

I think that would be enough for a decent memoir. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365259265' post='2037334']

I don't mind fantasising about being in certain bands, but I won't entertain the idea of a sex change to enable it!
[/quote]

Budgie, the drummer, was fully equipped with meat&2 (presumably).

Anyway, if Space Chick is allowed to be in Jamiroquai, I'm allowed to be in the Slits. So there.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1365260175' post='2037352']
Anyway, if Space Chick is allowed to be in Jamiroquai, I'm allowed to be in the Slits. So there.
[/quote]

:D You're welcome! I've met VA, and [removed on legal advice].

Edited by discreet