Why become a member? ×

So how was the (Bass Guitar) show?

visog

For me - I'm afraid it will be the last time I go. I've really had enough of the volume wars going on between competing individuals - yes, I agree that there would be a certain amount of noise, but even when the guys were going round with the airhorns, it was being roundly ignored. I've given it three goes - enough's enough... I'd rather invest the £40 I spent on tickets & rail fare on lessons.

Highlights for me today were Phil Mulford's set, and chatting to the guys on the Bass Direct & Bass Gear stands.

Yes same here - I wanted to stay to see Guy Pratt but I couldn't face the noise any longer. It seemed busy with visitors, but not really that much to see that was new or exciting sadly. I don't think I'll bother again, I'd much rather brave the M40 and spend time (and cash) in Bass Direct.

I went to the first, would never go again because of exactly this, non-stop slap bass (at this show, apparently there isn't any other playing style), so annoying, and I am a bass player! HEADPHONES PEOPLE (to the organisers)

Hmm, was going to see how I felt in the morning and possibly spend tonight's gig money and jump on a train up to the show. Seem to hear the same old same old every year and I think I'll be having a lay in. It's a shame as all that gear in one place is a real pull on the purse strings but if you can't hear what you're playing why bother. I hope the Basschat stall is doing ok nevertheless, sounds like earplugs are the order of the day!!

I had a great time, yes it was noisy and there were those who had a "listen to how loud I can play this" attitude (not just the slappers I might add) but meeting up with other BCers, having a chat and going to the Masterclasses and seeing those on the Main Stage made the day.

If I had any complaints it would be how once you're in the venue the owners proceed to rob you blind any time you want a drink or a bite to eat. £3 something for a cheese and Ham roll, £1.30 for a bottle of Lucozade and £1.20 for a packet of crisps was taking liberties. Saying that, the whole day cost me less than a good night out on the beer (if I drank).

All in all I thought it was a good day out... I'd recommend it..

It was ok.
A fair few of the exhibitors had gone the headphones route, but the trouble was even with the headphones on you still had to really focus to hear yourself.
There was one individual who spent a significant amount of time on one of amp stands trying a very new range of pedals with his 'homies' and a video camera playing so obnoxiously loud the other exhibitors were getting angry.
Highlights of the day for me were the ditto looper, the rh250 amp, watching some of the demos, and the cort punisher - yummy!
Especially awesome for me was the brief moment I had with Neil Murray !

Brilliant day. Managed to largley avoid the annoying slappers by hanging out on the BC stand and going to masterclasses and performances. Where else could you see David Ellefson, Jah Wobble, Guy Pratt and Nate Watts in one day?
And have the benefit of hearing tips and anecdotes from the horses mouth so to speak.

Can't wait for tomorrow, esp. Peter Hook.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1362247504' post='1997568']
I didn't fancy it this year because the turns seemed dull - was I wrong?[/quote] - Yes I think you probably were
[quote name='visog' timestamp='1362247504' post='1997568']
Any good new gear?[/quote] Interesting looking prototype Mesa head, apparently one of only 2 in the world (the man said). All valve. 250W with a half power switch & some other interesting things. Meant to take a pic to see how it [i]actually[/i] looks like if it makes it into the real world

Otherwise, as elsewhere did a couple of turns of the gear hall & it was a general thunder (low very occasionally). Difficult to try anything out properly, but had a brief sesh at the GoTo Guitar / G&L stand that was good at a low level - the guy with the airhorn wasn't pulling the plug on me & there were plenty all around giving it plenty of welly.

That said as I spent most of the day flitting between the masterclass room & the theatre the noise in the gear room didn't really bother me.

Stopped by the BC corner a couple of times & said hi to a few new & old faces.

Bought supplies before we arrived knowing that food would be silly show prices, so apart from a couple of coffees that were about standard Costa/Nero prices only spent money on necessities like strings.

Managed to dodge the bullet of anything more expensive this year, though I should have liked to bring one of the G&L M series basses home.

I suspect I shall go again next year. The shows & masterclasses, even the ones I thought I might not necessarily be interested in, were worth it for me

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1362252599' post='1997667']
I went to the first, would never go again because of exactly this, non-stop slap bass (at this show, apparently there isn't any other playing style), so annoying, and I am a bass player! HEADPHONES PEOPLE (to the organisers)
[/quote]

The Bass Gear stand is a 100% headphones only zone :)

And we even lashed out a couple of hundred quid on some better ones with improved sound insulation properties!

Only one person was onboxious enough to try and over-rule our policy. He asked if he could turn the speaker on from the nice little Carvin amps we're using (which have decent headphone pre-amps) and I explained we were not allowed to have speakers on in our area. I plugged him in, set up the amp left him to play. Left him to play and he simply waited for me to start talking to a customer.

Then he turned the speaker on pretty loud and started to play - then I simply turned the mains plug off on his amp :)

He wandered away muttering something. . .

Oh, and the noise levels are way better this year than in previous events :)

Edited by molan

Well I did get home with a bit of a headache from the slapping noise, but nothing as bad as what is described here.
I don't see how people can choose to give a miss to a collection of extremely GAS-inducing bass-related stuff you can see, touch and ask about - if not exactly test for sound - and decide that a total of five masterclasses and five performances a day by big names, as well as visits to stands by other stars you can approach and talk to, simply aren't going to be worth their time and money once a year.
Strikes me as a bit sad, to be honest, unless you're travelling from the back of beyond and have to go through a lot of inconvenience just to get there.

Edited by bluejay

I was a litte underwhelmed, this was probably more because of what I'd come to see. I was hoping to see and try some specific Phil Jones gear, but, due to logistical problems, there wasn't any there. I also really wanted to see Guy Pratt and Nate Watts, but I had to leave early to do a gig. Less slapping this year but an increase in farty, sub bass mush to my ears. Bought strings and a mini guitar stand. Great to visit BC corner though :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1362296842' post='1997970']
Only one person was onboxious enough to try and over-rule our policy. He asked if he could turn the speaker on from the nice little Carvin amps we're using (which have decent headphone pre-amps) and I explained we were not allowed to have speakers on in our area. I plugged him in, set up the amp left him to play. Left him to play and he simply waited for me to start talking to a customer.

Then he turned the speaker on pretty loud and started to play - then I simply turned the mains plug off on his amp :)

He wandered away muttering something. . .
[/quote]
Ah, quit trying to guilt trip me over that incident :)

Seriously though, I didn't find the overall noise levels excessive and it wasn't a big problem for me. Maybe I'm just a veteran of to many music shows. I mean set up a hall jam packed with lush basses and amps and invite thousands do bass players in and try stuff out.
Can only see one outcome there...

To me the real bonus for the Bass Gear and Musicman stands being where they were, was the space it allowed. I found some of the other stands a bit inaccessible due to the crowds and the lack of space in the main hall.

This was my first experience of this show and I had a fun day out! The masterclasses were excellent. Guy Pratt was typically hilarious, Wojtek was terrifying, the surprise for me was Andy Irvine. His videos for Warwick irritate the hell out of me but he gave a really engaging, passionate lesson. I think I took more away from that 40 minute session than anyone else I saw.

The main hall was a mixed bag throughout the day. There were plenty of moments when I really had to whack the earplugs in but it really wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. One frustrating bit was seeing Yolanda Charles on the elixir stand properly grooving away with a live drummer but her vocals were completely inaudible. I got to meet/catch up with the guys at Simms, John East (in his english professor brown coat again), the two Daves from Aguilar, folks from Yamaha, ashdown, goto, westside, lots of guys who I haven't seen for ages which was cool.

Yamaha had a great stand with pretty much the whole bass range on display. Everything from the RBX's to the signature Jap made stuff.

The Fender stand wasn't great. The colossus in the bass world had very few instruments on show for such a big company, I usually see more choice in the bigger dealers which was a shame. They had a decent array of some of their valve amps which is something you dont typically see but I would have expected a good 20-25 basses at least.

The Warwick stand had some great stuff and it was laid out really well. Plenty of space to move between the instruments. Just a shame that they have priced themselves out of the market for the most part in the UK. The quality of the German made stuff was fantastic but then you see the 3-4-5k + price tags. Didn't think much of the WA300/600 but then again it's near impossible to try stuff out in an environment like that.

The Andy Baxter stand had some amazing looking instruments but the overall display was very rough and ready. He was just hanging the basses from the stand using wire round the headstocks with plenty overlapping/touching each other. That sort of thing annoys the hell out of me. He had more vintage gear in one place than I think I have ever seen but it would really put me off seriously buying one.

Great to see the guys at bassgear being so busy over the day too. Having a stand outside of the main hall was a very good call. It did feel a lot more relaxed and the headphones only rule made it possible to have a conversation right on the stand even with 3-4 guys tying stuff out.

Overall I would say the show was a real success, it's not every day you get into a lift and a beaming Nathan Watts walks in :-)

I've lost interest in these types of event...seems a bit like those video game shows/car shows. Just seems like too much effort to try something out for five minutes. I'm not really one for watching master classes or bass soloing. Also seems like the guys who go crazy slapping are trying to heighten their ego.

I think going to a good store would be more interesting.

Edited by Musicman20

Had a really good day, gasin' like mad now, I felt it was quieter with not [i]so[/i] [i]much[/i] slapping going on as previous years. Those Fender tube amps had some nuts!!

The status stand was very impressive, not my cup of tea, but fabulous lookin basses. GW took some good shots here [url="https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.512577835451567.1073741825.446213212088030&type=1"][color="#0f72da"]https://www.facebook...12088030&type=1[/color][/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1362312610' post='1998166']
I've lost interest in these types of event...seems a bit like those video game shows/car shows. Just seems like too much effort to try something out for five minutes. I'm not really one for watching master classes or bass soloing. Also seems like the guys who go crazy slapping are trying to heighten their ego.

I think going to a good store would be more interesting.
[/quote]

This.