Why become a member? ×

Refusing To Play A Song

Hobbayne

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1362044687' post='1994805']
Surely all of this should be thrashed out in rehearsals? By the time you get on stage you should be prepared to play everything on the set list.
I once refused to play a song , the chorus went "I'm not gonna cry , I'm not gonna say goodbye" I was out of the band within the week.
[/quote]

I feel your pain.
One of ours goes 'Rock me up baby. rock me up baby, rock me all night long'. :rolleyes: At least I don't have to sing it. :o

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1362048295' post='1994876']
Depends on your perspective really, doesn't it?
[/quote]

You can offset it against what I would have spent on drink and transport but not really in pure monetary terms. We certainly weren't paid and wouldn't ask for money as it was a favour for a good friend so I didn't mind paying out. I do mind someone assuming we're raking it in and I'm just being difficult.

I took the opportunity to take a break as it's a simple song and there was no reason to have 2 guitars and piano playing the same part. We'd all agreed what songs we weren't going to play on well in advance and I took over drums on "Your Song" so that Stu could have a break. It was all planned and worked out so it was as fair as possible for everyone. I just happen to hate that song so bonus. I certainly played enough stuff I didn't enjoy but needed to play on.

My point being you don't have to play it if you don't need to. If there's 3 of playing one chord progression on a song for the sake of it or you all hate the songs your band plays then that's your problem. Join better bands or play better songs. For the once every 18 months or so I gig for free at friends weddings I'm going to carry on drawing the line where I'm not enjoying it and it's not detrimental to the song, and you know, actually enjoy the experience.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1362062870' post='1995196']
I flatly refused to play Electric 6's Gaybar a few months ago. To be honest, if it had been pushed I think I would have walked.
[/quote]

You should have done it and worn the pants and hat combo :lol: (Probably NSFW!!!)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrHj_RRk0Y[/media]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1362040758' post='1994756']

If the rest of the band are adamant, then make it part of the show. "So-and-so is going to the bar whilst we play the next song, cos we`re all dying of thirst up here, and we can do without them for this one".

No need for anyone in the audience to realise it`s an inter-band argumant/dispute.
[/quote]

+1 top way of dealing with it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1362040758' post='1994756']
If anyone in a band really hates a song, to my view the band shouldn`t play it - unless said hating person joined the band after the song was already in the set-list.

If the rest of the band are adamant, then make it part of the show. "So-and-so is going to the bar whilst we play the next song, cos we`re all dying of thirst up here, and we can do without them for this one".

No need for anyone in the audience to realise it`s an inter-band argumant/dispute.
[/quote]

Done that !

Just said " I'm going for a piss, I'm Bostin" and just walked off. Got waylaid in the toilets by a young lady once, and didnt make it back for the next number. But thats a tale in itself. Stuff like that never seems to happen to me anymore, must be gettin old..

In a previous covers band the guitarist always insisted that we all had the right to veto any song we didn't want to play, seeing a grown man stand with his guitar looking like smacked arse while we jammed something he refused to acknowledge was hilarious.
I left that band because it was damn near impossible to get any new songs in

I'm still having the same issues, the rest of the band decided they wanted to do Moves Like Jagger which I detest with a total passion, in the end it lead to me leaving the band, in my abscence they tried it, realised it sounded sh1t and dropped it, I was then approached to rejoin the band, which I said I would do...now 2 gigs down the line I notice the singer has put it in the encore list, not in a position where we will play it but he has put it back non the less....I see another argument approaching!

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1362063792' post='1995218']
You should have done it and worn the pants and hat combo :lol: (Probably NSFW!!!)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrHj_RRk0Y[/media]
[/quote]

I`d forgotten how much fun that song is.

IME, the trouble with giving band members the right to block songs has been that there's always one who'll block enormous amounts. Quarrels ensue, and people leave or are thrown out.
I'd like to try to have a rule about blocking no more than a certain amount or percentage or something - not that I've thought through this idea. If it were up to me personally, any person who blocks or tries to block enormous amounts of songs just doesn't belong in that particular band, or is a jerk, and thus out.

As mentioned previously, of course all of this has to play out before gigging. Member-walking-out-in-protest seems like a sure sign that something is very wrong with the band or that individual.

best,
bert

One 50's revival band I was in, the drummer hated 'Blue Moon Of Kentucky', whined like a spoilt bitch and threatened to walk if we didn't drop it.

He went on and on and on and on and on and on and on. So we dropped it and knocked it off the setlist.

Very next gig, he erects his kit and mistakenly tapes the old list next to his seat. Halfway through the second set, the guitarist starts whacking out the Route 66 riff and drumboy goes straight into the BMOK part and keeps it up all the way through. Totally oblivious.

When we pointed this out after the gig he furiously denied it had happened, threw a huge tantrum and threatened to walk. :lol:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1362098537' post='1995931']
IME, the trouble with giving band members the right to block songs has been that there's always one who'll block enormous amounts. Quarrels ensue, and people leave or are thrown out.
I'd like to try to have a rule about blocking no more than a certain amount or percentage or something - not that I've thought through this idea. If it were up to me personally, any person who blocks or tries to block enormous amounts of songs just doesn't belong in that particular band, or is a jerk, and thus out.

As mentioned previously, of course all of this has to play out before gigging. Member-walking-out-in-protest seems like a sure sign that something is very wrong with the band or that individual.

best,
bert
[/quote]

My vote is the latter.

I think the hardest part of being in a band is recognising that as each member of the audience has different tastes, so does each member of the band. It's what makes every band different. Unless you're in one of those corporate faceless wedding bands, who sample the keys parts and use electronic drums to faithfully replicate the track, every band sounds different due to our individual listening habits.

Playing tunes you hate is part of the territory. It's also quite important to regularly review the setlist and be ruthless and chuck out material either the majority of the audience or the majority of the band don't particularly enjoy.

If you don't enjoy playing then that comes accross.

Before I joined the latest band I went to see them play. I could tell the bass player wasn't interested and it influenced the whole dynamic of the band. When I auditioned it lifted the whole band - their words not mine :blush:

Interesting thread. \was playing a bluesy-type band a few years ago and I brought in a tenor and alto sax. We needed a few original numbers to flesh out the set and I offrered a fast, Motown-flavoured song I had written several years beforehand. Rehearsed the set and all going well, though the tenor saxophonist kept dropping out during my tune. Come the gig, all going well and we get to the song in question and the Janice Joplinesque singer announces it, says she hates it and the band steams in regardless. Suddenly, I am aware of no guitar! I look to my right and the guitarist is standin staring into space!! Then, during teh sax break, I can't hear any harmonies and look over to see the tenor player looking like he's sh*t himself!

Set over, I barrack the three culprits for pulling a stunt like that live! At no point was it even hinted at rehearsals that the singer & guitarist didn't like the song. On questioning the guitarist why he didn't like it he said "Cos it's got more than three chords!" The tenor player simply forgot his lines and sh*t it! The band didn't last long after that.

Edited by Stacker

I 'lost my religion' a long time ago - I hate that song with a passion. The guitarist knows I don't like it. On the odd occasion he decides to do it regardless, I'll still play along for the sake of the 'show', but he knows he's going to get a mouthful as soon as we're out of earshot of the punters :D

Edit: I convinced him to do Fire as an alternative REM number, which is so much better. Still working on What's the Frequency Kenneth - their best track imho.

Edited by Norris

Not too bothered really. I can't immediately think of anything that I would out right refuse.

There are songs that have been suggested that I didn't really think would go, but once they bed in they work fine. There are also songs in the set that have been there for years that I still enjoy, even if others in the band moan at the thought of them.

Of course the way the others in the band work to a song suggestion they don't like seems to be to no give it their all, so it never gels and drops out of the set (or never even makes it in)

Ultimately you are surely there to entertain the audience, not just yourself. If you are able to do that picking songs you enjoy and dodge the Mustang Sally bullet others seem to fear then all well & good