Why become a member? ×

Refusing To Play A Song

Hobbayne

I saw this posted recently. A band member actually unplugged his bass and walked off stage because he didnt want to play a song because he didnt like it?
It may be because I,m getting on a bit, but if we are getting paid to do a gig, then the least we can do is to remain on the stage.
If people want Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl etc, then its our job to give them what they want.
Rant over, As you were. <_<

That was me, it was regular guitar, we weren't getting paid and the other guitarist had it covered. It was for a friends wedding and I paid for van hire out of my own pocket so I was actually £70 down on the evening.

There were a number of songs that all the band members didn't need to play on and so didn't. That was mine. It was either get a drink or stand there like a twunt for 3 minutes.

Check-your-facts-counter-rant over.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1362003022' post='1994443']
Somewhat related factoid - the famous guitar "kachunk" in Creep by Radiohead was Johnny Greenwood's attempt to spoil the song because he thought it was sh*t.
[/quote]

Oh? Thats the best bit in the song! :D

When we're trying out ideas for songs, there are often songs we try that someone decides they don't like before we get them to gigging standard. Sometimes Lead Guitar overrules the others by saying "it'll go down well with the punters". Sometimes he's right, but mostly the songs will get the same reaction as most of the others - it's not the ace of the set in other words - and it's just a song he likes.

A recent favourite of his is "45" by Gaslight Anthem. I don't mind the song, but the first time we played it, it completely bombed - total silence from the audience. The next time the reaction was muted. I wonder how many times it'll be before Lead Guitar decides it should be dropped.

We used to do "Tribute" by Tenacious D, which I hated. It took me months to get it banned. I didn't walk off stage, but often asked Vox if he wanted to play bass on it (which he could, easily, but Lead Guitar refused permission). Eventually it got dropped and I don't recall a single audience member (a quarter of which are old friends) asking for us to bring it back into the set.

On stage, I reckon the band should pull as one. Off-stage is where all the bitching and squabbling belongs.

If anyone in a band really hates a song, to my view the band shouldn`t play it - unless said hating person joined the band after the song was already in the set-list.

If the rest of the band are adamant, then make it part of the show. "So-and-so is going to the bar whilst we play the next song, cos we`re all dying of thirst up here, and we can do without them for this one".

No need for anyone in the audience to realise it`s an inter-band argumant/dispute.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1362040758' post='1994756']
If anyone in a band really hates a song, to my view the band shouldn`t play it - unless said hating person joined the band after the song was already in the set-list.

[/quote]

Interesting point. I joined a band last year on the basis of the their Set List. Since then we have added quite a few new songs, all of which are fine however I detect a move on the part of the singer and guitarist to move in a musical direction that does not appeal to me. I've already said no to a song which I detest so it'll be interesting to see how things develop.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1362043634' post='1994784']

Interesting point. I joined a band last year on the basis of the their Set List. Since then we have added quite a few new songs, all of which are fine however I detect a move on the part of the singer and guitarist to move in a musical direction that does not appeal to me. I've already said no to a song which I detest so it'll be interesting to see how things develop.
[/quote]

I'm in a similar position. The band I joined just before Christmas have a strong setlist which is a mix of well known tunes and few fairly unknown but catchy ditties that sound good on first listen.

I thought all was going well but...

There seems to be a bit of argument surfacing about who likes what tunes and whether the audience will like it.

I'll play anything as long as the audience like it. Even if I don't. I hate Summer of '69. Every band I've been in has played it. Badly. The audience don't care. They ARE Bryan Adams.

This is where open mic/jam sessions can be useful if they have an audience that overlaps with who you normally play to. One non serious party/functions band I was in (based around people at work put together to do in house xmas parties) would work up a few new tunes and then use the open mic as a final acid test. If they went down well there we'd put them in the set, if they bombed twice we'd usually ditch them. That's the benefit of doing covers, massive choice of potential songs out there. Life's too short to struggle along doing stuff you hate, especially if it doesn't fill the dance floor either.

I once played in a covers band who did loads of songs that I hated - mostly Eagles stuff. One rehearsal the keyboard player flatly refused to play 'Born to be Wild', which was a shame as it sounded better than half of the existing set. The rest of the band tried talking him round because, well, he had a music degree (and everything) and everyone thought the sun shone out of his arse.

I thought about explaining that the songs that he sang live were the ones that bombed as they were 'his favourites' but had never sat well in the set or gone down particularly well. In the end I figured that he had enough people massaging his ego and surmised "You're a cock. Be a cock. I'm off" and left.

That sounds harsh but it wasn't a one off and was the straw that broke the camel's back - I'm really a musical prostitute and will play owt for money! :blush: