Why become a member? ×

A good news story

Toasting

Hello Forumites,

I would like to tell a short story which highlights what we've perhaps known all along; that as a generality Bassists are solid people.

A while back I ran into to some serious financial difficulty and had to very reluctantly sell my MarkBass Combo to raise rent money. This was my only gigging amp and as a consequence meant that I could no longer play live. I sold it for a reasonable price to fellow forumite Clarky.

After the transaction and with some desperation I contacted Clarky to ask whether it would be possible, on occasion, to 'rent' the amp back for gigging until my financial situation improved in September when I could get into the market again. He very kindly agreed in principle although was unable to provide for my first gig due to his holiday. He suggested that I create a post asking for a favour, which you may have seen, but it turned out that unfortunately no-one was in a position to assist. After seeing my lack of success and to much appreciation, he then agreed to let me borrow and hold the amp over his holiday period.

Upon his return and whilst discussing its return he suggested that his more favourable position to my desperate situation allowed him to offer me a deal. I was to continue to borrow the amp until September and purchase back for the price he paid when my situation improved. Stunned I gladly accepted! This was a relative stranger basically lending me his amp or in effect his money for a couple of months and all this on the security of trust.

Now we are in September. I still have my much loved MB Combo and was able to play a number of gigs and Clarky has his money back. I even sent him a 'drink' to say thank you which he kindly accepted half, sending the other half back saying it was too much.

Sorry to have rambled on but I thought it was a story that needed telling. It demonstrates that there are kind, helpful and honest people in the world. Regardless of whether these people are strangers having met only briefly through an internet forum.

Thank you Clarky for your trust.

Everyone should know that he's a top top bloke!
Jamie

Always good to hear a good news story :) & that just goes to show Clarky is a diamond, one of the many true gents around this place.

Well done Clarky & thanks for the post Jamie, best wishes for your situation continuing to improve.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1348569596' post='1815228']
Always good to hear a good news story :) & that just goes to show Clarky is a diamond, one of the many true gents around this place.

Well done Clarky & thanks for the post Jamie, best wishes for your situation continuing to improve.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

This!

Now I'm all embarrassed! Very kind words folks but I would like to point out a few things:

1. I have been in receipt of many favours since joining BassChat, ranging from supportive comments when my wife was badly injured through to loans of equipment (eg, Nige/silddx kindly lent me a lovely and I suspect quite valuable Spanish guitar only last week for a recording session) and - last but not least - being on the receiving end of people's time and advice, which you can't put a price on but is perhaps the most valuable thing of all. In short, do unto others is my motto (aka karma) and I firmly believe many of the good people of BC would also have helped out a fellow bass player.

2. On a windy day I resemble Boris Johnson, which is not a good thing

3. I like to pull kittens' tails

Actually 3 is not true (I have two cats). The moral of this is ... yay for BassChat!