Why become a member? ×

How many gigs have you done.

w00dy

Never worked it out ...so let me try!

1975 played for a year ave 2 per week...........100
Met future wife sold gear had kids

1985 joined friends originals rock band ,,,,,,,,, 50
split after just under a year sold gear AGAIN!

split from wife bought new gear :i-m_so_happy:

1991 joined a band ave 1 a week for four years..200

1995-1996 lived in tenerife ....karaoke compere :ph34r:

1996-2005 three bands ave 1a week..............450 (ish)

Second marriage split...did not sell gear :hi:

2005 -2008 lived in Tenerife played for two years anything from 0-4 gigs a week ...around200

back to UK joined current band in 2009 but only about ........20 gigs

So lets see thats

800 plus gigs as A bass player ...plus too many as a karaoke compare ....and I did some tour manager type stuff and DJ ing

Makes me sound quite good but it's mostly been laughs and giggles and a bit of money !

The only time I made a (relatively poor) living from my bass was in Tenerife

My favourite gigs were the ones I did at Rock city ..on the main stage ...in Nottingham,only charity gigs playing in a Stereophonics tribute band but a Life long ambition!

Sorry for the boring life story but I had genuinely not thought about how many gigs I had played and I had fun working it out!

Four years with the current two bands, about 10 gigs per year with each one = 80. Can't remember how many with the previous two bands due to many years between them but I'd probably be exaggerating a bit to guess at 20, so probably approaching 100 in all. Not exactly a road warrior then.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1344366438' post='1763548']
I'm so glad I've kept a record of every gig I've ever played (851, so far) complete with details of date, band, venue, bass and any accompanying documentation (photos, poster etc.) I've been accused of OCD, but it's great to look back on.
[/quote]wish i'd done this cos i haven't a clue how many ive done in 30 yrs

No idea, Did about 40 with my originals band from the late 90's until 2004 but also played in 2 function type bands that played most weekends (one or the other sometimes both) for a number of years over a period from about 2003-2011 so whats that? I'd say I would fall into the popular more than 500 but less than a 1000 group. Can we count jam nights, played about 6 songs every tuesday* for about 5 years thats another 250 on top. :)

[size=3]*The same 6 songs obviously and ending with Mustang Sally naturally[/size].

70 ish a year these days - down from 100+ when I was more interested and less creaky. 32 years at that rate with a gap in the middle to get drunk and have tons of sex like I was supposed to when I was 18 but was too busy gigging.

2000 and change I should think. Less than 50 of that as a guitarist along the way. Getting on for half that (the second half) as a singer who plays bass too which is what I consider myself as being these days

Too many to look forward to them any more but too big a part of my life to stop. I wouldn't know what to do. I can't go see bands , I get bored. I often think playing killed my love of music because I never listen to it either. I just play it. I seem to be a creator rather then a consumer.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1344371806' post='1763694']
Since I started 18 months ago..
3 gigs with Dik Guru (just the 2 of us).
Next week is the first outing with the new band! Just doing 3 songs at a jam night.
[/quote]

Don't say 'just' like it's nothing. 'Just' 3 songs at a jam night is how Doc B started in 1999.

You're starting the adventure - I wish I could have that feeling again.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1344380890' post='1763837']
Don't say 'just' like it's nothing. 'Just' 3 songs at a jam night is how Doc B started in 1999.

You're starting the adventure - I wish I could have that feeling again.
[/quote]

Aw, thanks Doc! :)
Yes I am quite excited about it really. 3 songs and 2 of them are orginals. Although not my original bass lines - I've learned them off the previous bass player.

around 1000... My main band i know for sure has done 800+. We did 180 gigs in our first year as a band.. plus other bands over the years. 5 years of gigging. I couldn't count the amount of gigs i've worked in some capacity. Either playing, promoting, engineering or tour managing. Over the last 5 years i've averaged about 6 months a year on tour. Which is why I have to replace my gear so often...