Why become a member? ×

What Value Is Your 'Pub Gig' Bass?

spongebob

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1342117551' post='1729986']
I just use whichever bass I'm enjoying at that particular time. All my basses are worth over a grand each. I've always thought that my basses are there to be played, not just looked at!

What about the value of your bass amp rig? Mine is about 3-4 thousand worth?
[/quote]

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1342115043' post='1729918']
Value/Price doesn't come into it for me, I gig what I own. My basses range in value from £200 - £5000 and I don't consider the value when I'm doing a gig, as they are instruments to be played and enjoyed. ;)
[/quote]

My pair of Lakland 55-02's (fretted/Fretless) go to every gig, whatever it is... They live in their highly padded Ritter gig bags until soundcheck then go back there until we play... I don't own any boutique basses at the moment, but used to be perfectly happy to take my Wals anywhere too... all insured so whats the worry, and everyone in band/crew keeps a close eye on all the gear if need be. I don't distinguish the value of the venue/fee against the quality of performance or gear I use...

Value/Price doesn't come into it for me, I gig what I own. My basses range in value from £200 - £5000 and I don't consider the value when I'm doing a gig, as they are instruments to be played and enjoyed. ;)
[/quote]

I wish there was a 'love' button for that.

I only have one bass......1989 MIJ P that I bought new for around £450.00. I drool over many more expenxive ones but I just love the sound I get!...........By the way the serial number says it was made in 1988/1989 but I bought it brand new from the shop in 1992/1993 I assume it took a while to sell!!!

[/quote]

Agree.... My basses are to be played and they get taken out.

My basses are pretty expensive and we don't play dives but by the same token I am not worried about a ding here and there... they can always be refurbed..altho I do take very good care of them and don't ask for trouble.

I thought I was doing well with the £130 Warwick rockbass corvettes (TI flats cost £50 on the 5er, worth nearly 1/2 the bass). However now seriously undertaken in the low zone. Nice basses are nice, but I veer to the Robin Trower philosphy, if it gets nicked, stolen, broken, whatever I want to be able to replace it easily (and in my case affordably).

I don't really have a problem gigging any of my basses which are worth from £100 to more than £1000 in pubs. I've never played in any pubs which have made me feel uneasy about my gear or my own personal safety. However, when I play Belladrum festival next month, you bet I'll be taking my least expensive bass (a well used Yamaha BB300) - it's not punters, other bands or thieves I'm worried about, it's more likely to fall foul of the weather or me drinking a few too many paper cups of beer and leaving it somewhere ;)

I have an old korean Squier P bass with a really nice neck that I picked up for £150. I fitted some Seymour Duncan SPB1,s to beef up the sound, but its still only worth about £200. Sounds the dogs nazz though! B)

All £200 or less my Ibanez are. But I love them all dearly, so for ultra rough gigs I take my Encore P that cost £50 and a set of strings. £200's a lot of money for me to find if anything should happen to one of my basses!

Truckstop

Musicman stingray 5 - bought new for £1,000
Warwick Streamer LX 5, bought 2nd hand for £1,300
I'd happily use either, as they're insured and I take care of them - if they're out of my sight / reach, then they're in their hard cases.

Edited by bluesparky

[/quote]

Totally agree. Except the £5000 bit.... I have never owned and would never own a bass worth that much!! :unsure:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1342121586' post='1730077']
Thrash Metal in some dive = take a cheapie
[/quote]

To me, deliberately choosing a cheap guitar is like downgrading your commitment to your performance. If I played a guitar just because it was cheap I wouldn't enjoy it as much and as a result wouldn't play as well, which would affect the whole band.

That said, my Status has had a few dings over the years and it's pretty bullet-proof (figuratively speaking - it's never had to cope with real live ammunition!). I think once you get past/over the first ding all subsequent ones just add to the "mojo"!! :)

I don't think the value really matters, so if it plays well (i.e. you enjoy playing it) and it sounds ok then all is well. If the bass isn't worth much (sub-£200?) then one might even feel more comfortable being more relaxed about the playing and handling style and this might even enhance the performance! That said, both my main basses probably have a 2nd hand value of around £900-1000 but I don't let that bother me much. After all, I've never had serious damage to a bass so I guess these things are just designed to be manhandled a bit!