Why become a member? ×

Where Do You Stand and Why?

paulbass

Left side of the drummer for me for the same reasons as most: better communication with him, better view of what he's hitting, no fear of taking his eye out plus our guitarist is left handed so there's a little bit of symmetry on stage. So we look like this: \non/

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1341055394' post='1713260']
One should always stand on the side that allows you smack your drummer in the face with your headstock without having to turn your back on the audience.
[/quote]
[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1341055651' post='1713267']
lol.....if only there was a 'LIKE' button!
[/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1341056395' post='1713276']
Usually high-hat side, until I started playing some upright, since when I've been floor tom side.
[/quote]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1341066152' post='1713412']
Why?
[/quote]

Found it easier, with the position of the upright, to have contact with the audience and with the band, especially the drummer, from the floor tom side.

Also, the first band I played upright with had a drummer who was playing a lot of ride cymbal rather than hihat and it felt easier to be in contact with that as he tended to look to his right rather than his left.

Does that make sense?

I stand on the opposite side to the snare as you have experiened, but this is due to the guitarist insisting on standing on the snare side of the drummer. I always used to stand snare side, but TBH is doesn't really bother me.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1341058543' post='1713308']
Ha bloody ha bloody ha... :angry:
[/quote]

Oooops.. who let the drummer in! :unsure: Seriously, I need to stand wherever I can see everybody.. the band i play in needs all the help it can get... :D

I've always set up to the drummers right - Oddly enough Entwhistle and Jones always seemed to do this and it just feels "right". There is a theory in Classroom management that you sould always stand on you're "power-side" - have your dominant side facing slightly forward, so if you're right handed stand towards the right hand of the room so you're looking in at a slight arc. Does seem to help with the confidence - I did one gig at the Robin RnB in Stourbridge where I was on the left, and I felt hellishly uncomfortable for the whole gig - this was before I did all the classroom management rubbish. It also means I'm in a position to swipe the drummer or poke the singer in the back when they screw up....

I've never thought about this before, but looking at all the situations I've played in, I've always played stage left ( from the band's perspective rather than looking at the stage from the audience). I think I like to be able to look to my right and make eye contact with the drummer?

Maybe if I played with a left handed drummer it might change the situation?

I prefer to stand on the floor Tom side of the drummer, simply because I don't have to stand next to a stupidly loud snare drum all night. I suffer a bit whe they move to the ride but that's a lot less noisy than being next to the snare.

Also the guitarist keeps better time when stood next to the snare, must be a volume thing.

One covers band - left hand side as I'm another one with a left-handed guitarist and Mrs Zero is the singer, so I'd really get it in the neck if we smacked her round the back of the head.

Other covers band - right hand side because the guitarist fancied going on the left.

Other other covers band - left hand side, for no apparent reason.

Ceilidh band - left hand side, also for no apparent reason.

Jams, open mics, etc - right hand side if I can so I can see the guitarist's fingers.

High hat side for me whenever possible, that way I can see the drummer's kick drum foot in case I can't hear it and avoiding a cymbal in face saving my ears and allowing some eye contact.

I started standing stage left because the people I looked up to (Ritchie Blackmore in particular) stood there and I thought it was the coolest place. I do it habitually now, as a guitarist. The other guitarist & bass player in our band have a stated preference for stage right, which suits me fine. When I had a gig as a bass player, the keyboard chap would always have stage right, while the guitarist & singer always went as central as they could get, which left me with stage left again, which I didn't mind.