Why become a member? ×

Worst bass players

xgsjx

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1339746156' post='1693532']
I'd have loved to have played with Mitch Mitchell, he's my kind of drummer!
[/quote]

You'd better be prepared to go plonk, plonk, plonk all night because somebody would have to keep the beat and it would't be him. I play with a drummer like that. He's a great guy and I like him a lot but put a cymbal anywhere near him and he can't help himself he has to hit it (and usually on an offbeat). Other drummers marvel at his flashiness but in my opinion I think he should hit his bass drum now and again......after all he dragged it to the gig he might as well use it occasionally.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339601526' post='1691309']
This has been a source of some confusion for me. When punk first hit I totally bought the media/pr story that it was all about bands that couldn't play their instruments, and didn't bother with it. Much later I got R&R Swindle out of the library and was surprised to find that, even on Johnny B Good, the playing's not bad (and I'm assuming it was Sid playing that). It's not a ground-breaking bass line, but I wouldn't be ashamed of it. And the more Pistols tracks I've heard, the less sure I've been that they couldn't play.
[/quote]

I don't think Sid recorded any bass parts on Never mind the bo**ocks or R&R Swindle, I think it was Glen Matlock and Steve Jones.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1339756473' post='1693754']
I don't think Sid recorded any bass parts on Never mind the bo**ocks or R&R Swindle, I think it was Glen Matlock and Steve Jones.
[/quote]

When asked about this a few years back on Jonesy Jukebox, Steve Jones said that both Sid and Matlock played on one song,
they were Bodies and On Anarchy In The U.K. respectively. All the rest of the bass was played by himself.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1339756093' post='1693747']

You'd better be prepared to go plonk, plonk, plonk all night because somebody would have to keep the beat and it would't be him. [/quote]

Not necessarily. Depends what you're playing. Arguably my favourite band is early Yes, plenty of all-over-the-placeness going on there! I grew up listening to jazz and generally much prefer jazzier drummers (although once again it's about context).

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339669716' post='1692245']
No-one's mentioned Guiggsy yet :P :lol:
[/quote]

Oh yeah he's f-ing dire - but then I heard he allegedly got a right royal payoff when he left Oasis - so he probably never has to play again... so the moral of this story (and thread) is it's not being a great player but being in the right place at the right time that REALLY counts....

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1339768020' post='1694042']

Oh yeah he's f-ing dire - but then I heard he allegedly got a right royal payoff when he left Oasis - so he probably never has to play again... so the moral of this story (and thread) is it's not being a great player but being in the right place at the right time that REALLY counts....
[/quote]

Noel played all his parts anyway according to Tony McCarroll

[quote name='skydog2710' timestamp='1339768623' post='1694054']
Bit of a pointless thread. What's next ... "Who's your least favourite average/mediocre bass player"?
[/quote]
... to be followed by 'what's your most disliked colour?' - actually that would make more sense than this.

In defence of this thread, the OP was posting tongue in cheek.

And if the concept of 'worst' is so damnably offensive to so many of our brethren, why did they read it rather than simply pass by on the other side? In any event, there are very few 'new' topics on this forum and 'worst / best' is always guaranteed to drive a bit of page traffic. We should consider it a way of keeping Ped in 35mm film. :)

[quote name='Lewk' timestamp='1339750565' post='1693616']
Some people like fret w****ers... other people like the guys who sit in the pocket and do what is needed for the song.
i on the other hand prefer cupcakes

i cant stand billy sheehan but i know hes amazing.

i hope some of you may understand :)
[/quote]

Can't stand him even when he's slogging low notes?

All of this begs the question. Does a bass player who does "Exactly what the song needs" classify as rubbish, and someone who needlesly "showboats" doesn't?

So it could be claimed that Duck Dunn was rubbish? In my book someone who plays with feel and gets in what is needed (not what makes them look good) is the better bass player than someone like Sheehan or the countless people playing Slap on Youtube or in any given music shop across the country.

Just my tuppence ha'peny

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1339787190' post='1694481']
The guy from Manic Street Preachers whose name I cant remember or be bothered to look up... Oh, and Sheenan. He's just a guitard with a four string!
[/quote]

Nicky Wire. Agreed, someone should show him how to play a pentatonic scale at least!

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1339706845' post='1693245']
John Myung? Ryan Martinie? Arif Mirabdolbaghi? Evan Brewer? Alex Webster?

Metal has some insane talent! Arif and Ryan being the main two who's style stand out to me, should check them out if you haven't already, some brilliant basslines...
[/quote]
Myung is decent.. haven't heard of the others.
[i]Can't stand the keyboards in early Dream Theater though..[/i]

..sorry if I'm ignorant, but from what I've heard, most mainstream/semi mainstream metal has pretty simple bass.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1339791061' post='1694559']

Myung is decent.. haven't heard of the others.
[i]Can't stand the keyboards in early Dream Theater though..[/i]

..sorry if I'm ignorant, but from what I've heard, most mainstream/semi mainstream metal has pretty simple bass.
[/quote]

I can see why people wouldn't be a big fan of Myung (I know I'm not). I will agree 100% about most mainstream metal is pretty simple, especially on bass. Check out 'Currency' by Evan Brewer. I would embed a link but I cant on my phone. It's a great song, at least to me it is, definetly a talented guy!