Why become a member? ×

Worst bass players

xgsjx

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1339531537' post='1690143']
Shame on all of you. As my dear old grandad always used to say, "If ye canna say something' nice, shut yer f**kin' hole."

I'm serious - he did! ;-)
[/quote]

+1 He was obviously a good man Lowregisterhead.

Easy to throw comments at these guys but they have achieved so much with their playing they deserve respect.

Robert Trujillo is an incredible bass player, check out Infectious Grooves and Suicidal Tendencies. Theres a BIG reason he got the Metallica gig. Talent!!!!

Edited by Voodoosnake

If this is about who doesn't do it for you, I have to say that despite my love for some of the technically very skilled (e.g. Richard Bona, Jimmy Johnson, Stanley Clarke, Matt Garrison, Armand Sabal-Lecco) it's generally similarly technically-skilled types who do nothing for me, for instance Victor Wooten & Marcus Miller spring to mind. I think much of what bothers me most about them comes down to tone; if I don't like somebody's tone I find that very difficult to get past, however gifted they may be in other ways. To be honest though, I can think of very few bassists I actually don't like; however thousands just don't register.

Have to add, speaking as a songwriter, that if was writing music like U2 I'd much sooner have Adam Clayton playing bass than Jaco Pastorius or similar. It's all about context....

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339601526' post='1691309']
This has been a source of some confusion for me. When punk first hit I totally bought the media/pr story that it was all about bands that couldn't play their instruments, and didn't bother with it. Much later I got R&R Swindle out of the library and was surprised to find that, even on Johnny B Good, the playing's not bad (and I'm assuming it was Sid playing that). It's not a ground-breaking bass line, but I wouldn't be ashamed of it. And the more Pistols tracks I've heard, the less sure I've been that they couldn't play.
[/quote]

The Pistols could definitely play - saying that would be against the punk ethos, of course. I think you'll find it was Steve Jones who played the bass on R&R Swindle, as he did on quite a bit of Never Mind the Bollocks. That was because when they had a band member who genuinely couldn't play, they couldn't actually use him on record.

Ament, Trujillo, Grey and, to a lesser extent, Dirnt are excellent players. Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but worthy of a great deal of respect.

Ament pretty much defined alternative rock bass in the 90s - who doesn't know the 12-string intro to "Jeremy" or the lovely fretless on "Oceans"? In that genre, he's almost peerless (with the exception of Eric Avery). And Trujillo... well, just watch this (back when he wasn't stuck playing regular 16th-note metal bass):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob3buKk6ALc[/media]

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1339695258' post='1692944']
-that guy in Korn
-that guy in Avenged Sevefold
-that guy in the Deftones (can't even hear him half the time)

TL;DR pretty much every metal bassist besides the 2 from Tool..
[/quote]

A7X's bass player is actually very good. It's just the band he's in that's s**t. :D

I dunno a lot of these so-called terrible players are pretty damn good really, regardless of the simplicity of some of their lines. The guy from Korn may have a ridiculously scooped tone, but it suits the band and he can really groove!
Mike Dirnt is a great player, really dig his tone too!
I don't really like A7X but I cover a lot of their stuff live and the bass lines are really fun to play!
Rob Trujillio is a great player, he's toned it down a lot for Metallica!

I can't think of anyone I actually hate.... there are a lot of metal bassists who I find pretty boring but I wouldn't say they were terrible. I personally know some atrocious players but it's not really very nice to post about them on a public forum is it :D

I'm pretty sh*t though :unsure:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1339704402' post='1693158']
Ah, g'wan! :D You will, you will.
[/quote]

Can I nominate myself then? I at least have a clip :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6QkOHK75Uc&feature=relmfu[/media]

It only takes me 18 seconds into a set to make bass players everywhere cringe :lol:

EDIT: How many of you are writhing in anger at the pint sat on top of my nice expensive rig???

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339705033' post='1693181']
It only takes me 18 seconds into a set to make bass players everywhere cringe :lol:[/quote]

Rubbish! I didn't cringe until 3:28! ;)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339705033' post='1693181']How many of you are writhing in anger at the pint sat on top of my nice expensive rig???[/quote]

Ah well yes, I was writhing a bit, to be honest!

Sorry chrismuzz, you can't enter yourself unless you're famous (or I'd have my name here too :yarr: ) & I hope you've got a beer mat under your pint!

I should have called it "Your least fave bassist", but me being me...

Noel Redding. He wasn't a bass player he was a guitarist drafted in at the last moment by Chas Chandler. In his defence though playing with Mitch Mitchell couldn't have been easy since he was the inventor of the drum style called 'drum kit being thrown down a flight of stairs'.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1339695258' post='1692944']
-that guy in Korn
-that guy in Avenged Sevefold
-that guy in the Deftones (can't even hear him half the time)

TL;DR pretty much every metal bassist besides the 2 from Tool..
[/quote]

John Myung? Ryan Martinie? Arif Mirabdolbaghi? Evan Brewer? Alex Webster?

Metal has some insane talent! Arif and Ryan being the main two who's style stand out to me, should check them out if you haven't already, some brilliant basslines...

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339705705' post='1693205']
Sorry chrismuzz, you can't enter yourself unless you're famous (or I'd have my name here too :yarr: ) & I hope you've got a beer mat under your pint!

I should have called it "Your least fave bassist", but me being me...
[/quote]

I'm on YouTube, of course I'm famous :P

And erm... nope, no beer mat :ph34r:

Does Paul Simonon actually count as the bass player of the Clash or was it really Norman Watt Roy / others most of the time?

Paul looked great but I don't think he could play much better than Sid. He pretty much admits it himself.

Still, compared to what it takes to 'make it' in similar manufactured bands nowadays, both Paul and Sid were musical geniuses.

Edited by Grim13

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1339706795' post='1693244']
Noel Redding. He wasn't a bass player he was a guitarist drafted in at the last moment by Chas Chandler. In his defence though playing with Mitch Mitchell couldn't have been easy since he was the inventor of the drum style called 'drum kit being thrown down a flight of stairs'.
[/quote]

I'd have loved to have played with Mitch Mitchell, he's my kind of drummer!

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1339675735' post='1692447']
If this is about who doesn't do it for you, I have to say that despite my love for some of the technically very skilled (e.g. Richard Bona, Jimmy Johnson, Stanley Clarke, Matt Garrison, Armand Sabal-Lecco) it's generally similarly technically-skilled types who do nothing for me, for instance Victor Wooten & Marcus Miller spring to mind. I think much of what bothers me most about them comes down to tone; if I don't like somebody's tone I find that very difficult to get past, however gifted they may be in other ways. To be honest though, I can think of very few bassists I actually don't like; however thousands just don't register.

Have to add, speaking as a songwriter, that if was writing music like U2 I'd much sooner have Adam Clayton playing bass than Jaco Pastorius or similar. It's all about context....
[/quote]

Yep, agree.

(Are we allowed not to like Marcus Miller's tone? Cool! For me it's good in the same way two-tone paintwork on a car is good. Interesting result of a lot of process.)

Some people like fret w****ers... other people like the guys who sit in the pocket and do what is needed for the song.
i on the other hand prefer cupcakes

i cant stand billy sheehan but i know hes amazing.

i hope some of you may understand :)

[quote name='Lewk' timestamp='1339750565' post='1693616']
i cant stand billy sheehan but i know hes amazing.[/quote]

Yep. I enjoy listening to him talk, but hate listening to him play! :rolleyes:

i cant stand billy sheehan but i know hes amazing. i hope some of you may understand :)[/quote]

Yes, I do. I really don't know what to make of him.
Time will tell... that and whether or not I have to learn any more of his stuff!

Edited by discreet

Some people like fret w****ers... other people like the guys who sit in the pocket and do what is needed for the song.
i on the other hand prefer cupcakes

i cant stand billy sheehan but i know hes amazing.

i hope some of you may understand :)
[/quote]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanefy/6254415707/][/url]