Why become a member? ×

Worst bass players

xgsjx

I think this as a thread has been a success in being an interesting thread, although with the wrong title & a poor way of putting the thread forward.

Like I've said already, the 10 bassists I put at the start is the same 10 bassists I put in the "10 best bassists" thread.
Regardless of their playing ability, they are very inspirational & successful. Even Sid has been an inspiration for many of today's bassists, where Sex Pistols fans would see him having fun on bass & follow him (hopefully without the drugs). It was
I thought some might have seen the humour in the list & then responded with a why's he there & who they think should be there (which some have done).
I can understand some folk won't get my (crap) sense of humour, unless you've read some of my other posts. I think Luke got it, but I'm not 100% sure.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1339539353' post='1690385']
Re Sid Vicious - watch the clip below of No Feelings, from The Great Rock `n` Roll Swindle, and it`s evident he could play a bit - probably only the Pistols own material, but then, he was never hired for his musicianship. The clip shows him always in the right place on the fret-board.

Plus, with the state he got into with drugs, it`s not surprising that whatever abilities he had on the instrument deserted him.

[/quote]

This has been a source of some confusion for me. When punk first hit I totally bought the media/pr story that it was all about bands that couldn't play their instruments, and didn't bother with it. Much later I got R&R Swindle out of the library and was surprised to find that, even on Johnny B Good, the playing's not bad (and I'm assuming it was Sid playing that). It's not a ground-breaking bass line, but I wouldn't be ashamed of it. And the more Pistols tracks I've heard, the less sure I've been that they couldn't play.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339591625' post='1691031']
Claytonbashing mystifies me.

One of the lines you see frequently trotted out by old punks is that [i]the great thing was that you didn't have to be able to play to be in a band[/i].

Therefore Clayton, I put it to you, is the living embodiment of punk. 30 years later he is still in the band and still not able to play. Punk not dead as long as Clayton lives. Stick your spirit of 77 up your arse, you all sold out where he is still proudly flying the flag.

Not only that, but he gets paid too. Regularly. Not only that, but he gets supermodels. Regularly. Not only that, but his regular gig is not the Badger And Brake Lever playing Boney M covers, but football stadiums [i]and he doesn't even play football!!![/i]

Mock him not, for he is a quite clearly a genius.
[/quote]

But, he's in a rather pompous stadium rock 'band' whose outlook is very far removed from the spirit of punk. They're business men who like to think they're being 'creative', not very punk really :)

I will concede he does shag supermodels.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1339609058' post='1691480']
But, he's in a rather pompous stadium rock 'band' whose outlook is very far removed from the spirit of punk. They're business men who like to think they're being 'creative', not very punk really :)
[/quote]Exactly! How much more punk could you be by giving two fingers to conformity?

Hail the bespectacled genius, hail him now! :D

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339609623' post='1691490']
Exactly! How much more punk could you be by giving two fingers to conformity?

Hail the bespectacled genius, hail him now! :D
[/quote]

:lol: A double bluff then.

But no I shan't hail him, I don't like his hair :)

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1339606803' post='1691420']
Even a little guitar solo!
[/quote]

You were wrong in posting this as a punk song. At a length of 3:25, this clearly is a prog suite, and the solo just confirms that. I wish people were more knowledgeable, and a lot better at putting all music in tiny little genre boxes.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1339622627' post='1691780']
You were wrong in posting this as a punk song. At a length of 3:25, this clearly is a prog suite, and the solo just confirms that. I wish people were more knowledgeable, and a lot better at putting all music in tiny little genre boxes.
[/quote]

Prog suite might be pushing it a bit, doesn't that require at least one member of the band to play eight keyboards at once?

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339625449' post='1691816']
Prog suite might be pushing it a bit, doesn't that require at least one member of the band to play eight keyboards at once?
[/quote]

Mea culpa. Sorry, I forgot that.
So then it is an example of ... of ... er ... [b]Damn those tiny little genre boxes! It's music, alright?[/b]

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339625449' post='1691816']
[/quote]

Well, I'm not so sure.. Only the one keyboard, but prog, surely?

And the best way to finish a number, courtesy of Mr Scabies..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bkiCKiwZA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bkiCKiwZA[/url]

I'll say it again, these are all professional bass payers with a wealth of gigging and recording experience under their belts and who have learnt to play accurately and in tune and remain in their jobs because the artistic side of what they do fits perfectly with the music their band plays. I'm envious of all of them.

This is a bad bass payer:
http://youtu.be/kx_XWq7dAQs
(his drumming is no better)

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1339662380' post='1692049']
I'm not going to say he's sh*t or can't play but one guy I have no time for in bass-playing stakes is Billy Sheehan. Just don't get him, at all.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. Initially all I saw was YouTube vids of him shredding away like a lead guitarist and sounding like a very large angry wasp in the process. But then I was obliged to learn a Mr Big cover for a rock set, and having analysed this bass line, I've revised my opinion of his playing somewhat. He doesn't solo in this track, [i]but he always sounds like he's about to!![/i] :lol: \m/ \m/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGv5FCS2j8[/media]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339591625' post='1691031']
Claytonbashing mystifies me.

One of the lines you see frequently trotted out by old punks is that [i]the great thing was that you didn't have to be able to play to be in a band[/i].

Therefore Clayton, I put it to you, is the living embodiment of punk. 30 years later he is still in the band and still not able to play. Punk not dead as long as Clayton lives. Stick your spirit of 77 up your arse, you all sold out where he is still proudly flying the flag.

Not only that, but he gets paid too. Regularly. Not only that, but he gets supermodels. Regularly. Not only that, but his regular gig is not the Badger And Brake Lever playing Boney M covers, but football stadiums [i]and he doesn't even play football!!![/i]

Mock him not, for he is a quite clearly a genius.
[/quote]

He could be considered a genius in the sense that he's the laziest multi-millionaire I can think of.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339667356' post='1692169']
Of course, he hires serfs to be energetic on his behalf, otherwise, what's the point in being a milti-millionaire?
[/quote]

Just like his guitar playing mate who hires a pedal button presser.
Funny, never thought of U2 as ever being punk, not even in the very early days

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1339665028' post='1692101']
I know what you mean. Initially all I saw was YouTube vids of him shredding away like a lead guitarist and sounding like a very large angry wasp in the process. But then I was obliged to learn a Mr Big cover for a rock set, and having analysed this bass line, I've revised my opinion of his playing somewhat. He doesn't solo in this track, [i]but he always sounds like he's about to!![/i] :lol: \m/ \m/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGv5FCS2j8[/media]
[/quote]

How's your bvs?