Why become a member? ×

Worst bass players

xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339531199' post='1690133']
I'm not actually saying any of them are rubbish, just more of they play what is needed in the song & very little else.
[/quote]

@xgsjx - just listened to the band on your myspace link (http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=33147526&ac=now) and the bass player (whoever that might be) is playing what is needed & very little else. So he gets my vote. :-)

CB

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339531199' post='1690133']
I'm not actually saying any of them are rubbish, just more of they play what is needed in the song & very little else.

[/quote]

I really don't understand this. What more should you be playing than what is needed in the song?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339531670' post='1690151']
Wow! How right you was! :(

[b]I wasn't implying any of them couldn't play. [/b] Just looking for who folk thought was their least favourite.

I shouldn't have bothered with a list of ideas & left it to folk to come up with their own. Oh well, I'll take more care on what I'm posting next time. :(
[/quote]

Yes you did! you said they couldn't play enough to be called bassists. :o ;)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339529602' post='1690072']
Then there's all those C&W I-IV-I-IV players whom have about as much motivation as a McDonalds Waiter.
[/quote]

I think you'll find a lot of those C&W I-IV- I-IV players are earning a very nice living in Nashville - guys like Dave Pomeroy, Mike Brignardello, Larry Paxton, Glenn Worf, & Hutch Hutchison also do other types of gigs that don't involve playing root - five or ice cream changes....

They're not doing regular 9-5's like you & me - they're more talented than people think.

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1339532088' post='1690163']
@xgsjx - just listened to the band on your myspace link ([url="http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=33147526&ac=now"]http://www.myspace.c...33147526&ac=now[/url]) and the bass player (whoever that might be) is playing what is needed & very little else. So he gets my vote. :-)
[/quote]

He would get my vote too, but he's not famous. :happy:

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339532769' post='1690185']
I really don't understand this. What more should you be playing than what is needed in the song?
[/quote]

Nothing, if you don't want to. I was just trying to make a topic for fun, though I suppose it's created some interest.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339532892' post='1690190']
Yes you did! you said they couldn't play enough to be called bassists. :o ;)
[/quote]

I actually didn't mean that bit to relate directly to the list I put. :blush:

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1339532983' post='1690195']
I think you'll find a lot of those C&W I-IV- I-IV players are earning a very nice living in Nashville - guys like Dave Pomeroy, Mike Brignardello, Larry Paxton, Glenn Worf, & Hutch Hutchison also do other types of gigs that don't involve playing root - five or ice cream changes....

They're not doing regular 9-5's like you & me - they're more talented than people think.
[/quote]

That's very true & I know a lot of C&W has some very inspiring basslines.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1339534431' post='1690241']
Surprised I haven't been nominated yet. I'm enthusiastic but sh*t!
[/quote]

You're famous, but you play DB too, so that scores extra points! :yarr:

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1339534620' post='1690244']
This thread has been done before. Trujillo is a great player. Would metallica hire a slouch? The Nashville country players ate great. Try playing that stuff with the right feel. The only player I think that gets way too much praise is Peter Hook.
[/quote]

Beat me to it....

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1339534620' post='1690244']
This thread has been done before. Trujillo is a great player. Would metallica hire a slouch? The Nashville country players are great. Try playing that stuff with the right feel. The only player I think that gets way too much praise is Peter Hook.
[/quote]

If I am to offer a suggestion of a bass player whose style and tone I can't abide (and leaving aside Clutterbuckery as its just showing off at music shows) it would have to be Fieldy of Korn. I genuinely enjoy all sorts of bass playing from straight-ahead pumping 16th note punk (like DeeDee Ramone), to rock, to Motown, to walking jazz lines to Bernard Edwards-style funkiness but that awful cacophony of detuned slapping funk-rock is unlistenable to me

Edit: he is of course richer and more famous than most of us on BC will ever be so my taste proves nothing!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1339534806' post='1690249']
If I am to offer a suggestion of a bass player whose style and tone I can't abide (and leaving aside Clutterbuckery as its just showing off at music shows) it would have to be Fieldy of Korn. I genuinely enjoy all sorts of bass playing from straight-ahead pumping 16th note punk (like DeeDee Ramone), to rock, to Motown, to walking jazz lines to Bernard Edwards-style funkiness but that awful cacophony of detuned slapping funk-rock is unlistenable to me
[/quote]

I'm with you there. My wife, daughter and daughter's boyfriend were huge Korn fans and persuaded me to drive them from south of Birmingham to Manchester for a concert. It was the single most tedious night I have spent in a theatre since our amateur drama group did "A Month in the Country" by Ivan Turgenev. And when it finally fizzled to an end, there was a 2 hour drive home in the rain to look forward to.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339535466' post='1690272']
And when it finally fizzled to an end, there was a 2 hour drive home in the rain to look forward to.
[/quote]
Love it. I am curiously reminded of this fabulous scene from Father Ted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnZDI1slxMI

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339530457' post='1690107']
No one sticking up for Sid yet?
[/quote]

Only in-so-far as you couldn't really call him a bass player in the first place. But in defence of Mr Ritchie, I once worked with a fella who knew him before heroin took a-hold, and he said he was a really nice guy.

In defence of Rob Trujillo....

Sod Metallica. Check out Suicidal Tendencies & Infectious Grooves.
Only one bassist I've heard outclasses him for this sort of material, and that's the phenomenally un-shabby Cass Lewis.

Sid Vicious was just a poster boy, surely, in spite of the notoriety.

The rest did exactly what was required.

And Jeff Ament? Seriously?

I can'[t believe how seriously people are taking this and how much grief the OP is getting! As for being bitter?!

There are bands who I don't particuarly like but I can recognise that the bass player is contributing something musical and interesting in some way. There are other bands like U2, Korn, Greenday, Coldplay, all incredibly boring IMO whose music leaves me totally cold, and the insipid and/or ADHD basslines contribute to my feeling of overwhelming, despairing tedium when I hear them. I think that it's allowed to not like those bassists (as players) and, when they're sitting there in Beverley Hills in front of a wall filled with platinum records casually burning bundles of money on a big open fire, I doubt very much they care at all what someone on the internet says about their playing so it's probably fine to express an opinion :D

Edited by LawrenceH

Re Sid Vicious - watch the clip below of No Feelings, from The Great Rock `n` Roll Swindle, and it`s evident he could play a bit - probably only the Pistols own material, but then, he was never hired for his musicianship. The clip shows him always in the right place on the fret-board.

Plus, with the state he got into with drugs, it`s not surprising that whatever abilities he had on the instrument deserted him.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3LzKUulhg[/media]

Edited by Lozz196