Why become a member? ×

Worst bass players

xgsjx

OK, we've had your inspirational, your favourite, your top & so on, but who's the worst famous bass player* that you've heard?

Here's a wee list to start you off...

Michael Anthony - Van Halen
Jeff Ament - Pearl Jam
Nikki Sixx - Motley Crue
Sid Vicious - Can't remember
Gene Simmons - Kiss
Pete Wentz - Fallout Boy
Mike Dirnt - Green Day
Robert Trujillo - Metallica
Paul Gray - Slipknot
Krist Novaselic - Nirvana

I like all those bands too, & played along to many of their songs. But I suppose that's because they're simple rock basslines.

Then there's all those C&W I-IV-I-IV players whom have about as much motivation as a McDonalds Waiter.

* I use the term "player" loosely as we're looking for folk that haven't progressed enough to be classed as a bassist.

Hmmm, I disagree with you on all of your choices. The fact that they're all world famous musicians means nothing to you?

All those guys have/had great style, great tone (for the most part) and have made an indelible impact on their respective bands sounds.

Sorry to be boring and sensible :(

Truckstop

Even though I'm not remotely moved by metal... I did catch that Robert Trujillo bloke on telly once and thought he was actually really very good.

But WTF would I know.

When you said [i]worst[/i] bass players I thought you'd been listening through my letter box.

Okay, lets take just one of your examples- I'm sure it applies to most of them....

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339529602' post='1690072']

Krist Novaselic - Nirvana

* I use the term "player" loosely as we're looking for folk that haven't progressed enough to be classed as a bassist.
[/quote]

can you imagine Nirvana with any other bass player? what else would he do, he creates lines and plays them that are perfect for the song and the genre - If you don't get that it's hardly because of his skill.
He played bass in bloody nirvana- what else are you going to call him if you don't want to class him as a bassist?

I'm not actually saying any of them are rubbish, just more of they play what is needed in the song & very little else.
Adam Clayton is another you could add to the list. He's not a technical bassist, but he does come up with melodic basslines that anyone can play.

Like I said, I grew up playing along with this kind of stuff & was great for helping me keep a steady timing & learn how to play the thing.

Sorry Luke, I was gonna put a smiley after that to indicate that it was a jest & yes I agree with you.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339531057' post='1690127']
Okay, lets take just one of your examples- I'm sure it applies to most of them....

can you imagine Nirvana with any other bass player? what else would he do, he creates lines and plays them that are perfect for the song and the genre - If you don't get that it's hardly because of his skill.
He played bass in bloody nirvana- what else are you going to call him if you don't want to class him as a bassist?
[/quote]

+1
And did you not listen to the intro to Lounge Act? Flipping great.
Also, Mike Dirnt, intro to Longview, also ****ing cool as.

And Sid might not have been able to play well, but he could swing the thing at your head better than most of us. :)

I'm afraid I'm on the majority bandwagon here. Haven't heard all those in the list but I don't see inaccurate/tuneless/toneless playing in those I have heard. These are mostly professional bands who do this for a living, despite how simple some of the playing may be you'll find the likes of Trujillo and Dirnt are no slouches.

Mike Dirnt - as other's have said, has some absolutely brilliant basslines

Paul Gray - Just listen to the MFKR Album/EP, notably the songs [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6PyzalVtU&feature=related"]Confessions [/url]and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihqhZtqslc&feature=relmfu"]Killers Are Quiet.[/url]

Pete Wentz isn't a bassist, as much as i love Fall Out Boy, i don't like him at all. He spends too much time licking his bass and too little playing it.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339530021' post='1690086']
Brave of you to open that can of worms...
[/quote]

Wow! How right you was! :(

I wasn't implying any of them couldn't play. Just looking for who folk thought was their least favourite.

I shouldn't have bothered with a list of ideas & left it to folk to come up with their own. Oh well, I'll take more care on what I'm posting next time. :(