Why become a member? ×

Owning Multiple Basses...

uncle psychosis

Hey folks

Just wondering what the consensus here is regarding owning/playing multiple basses.

I have two---a 4 string jazz copy and a 5-string yamaha. The Yamaha is undoubtedly the better bass, but I have a real hankering to put pickup covers on the jazz, I just love that classic look.

Thing is, part of me thinks I should just stick to one bass and play the crap out of it. The necks on the two basses couldn't be more different (jazz neck vs 5 string 35" cricket bat) and I'm a bit worried that if I split my time between them I won't ever really master either...Plus part of me thinks "why play a cheap bass when you have an expensive one sitting there?".

How do you guys deal with having more than one bass? I can't imagine how the guys with 3, 4, 5+ basses cope...

At one time I had 7 basses and I had to play them in rotation. My secret favorite was the Indonesian Jazz Squier I picked up for £95. I've sold most of them off now and intend to end up with just my Frakenfender Jazz (made up of cannibalised bits of other Jazzes).

As far as I'm concerned, the song I'm playing will suggest, or even dictate, the bass I play it with - be it because it needs 5 strings, or because it sounds more rawk 'n roll on one or the other, etc. I've got multiple basses but they are all different, and suited to different uses.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1338848790' post='1680121']
How do you guys deal with having more than one bass? I can't imagine how the guys with 3, 4, 5+ basses cope...
[/quote]

They're just possessions, chief. Swap out out [i]basses [/i]for [i]socks[/i] to highlight that point; although I should admit that they are a possession we are very privileged to have access to, a la [i]first world problems [/i]and all that.

Looking around me I see 8 (and half basses) and Strat... and that's just the room I'm sitting in. I play them all. They all feel and play differently. But as I'm in [s]only one band again[/s] two bands, I only gig with [s]only one[/s] two of them - the ones which work best with the bands... My main band is in dropped tuning therfore I need a bass specifically set up just for that.
The others all give me something else though - perhaps allowing me to keep up with a little extra technique that my main bass doesn't naturally offer or inspiring new riffs which I don't hear from my workhorse.

edited because just been asked to join another band since writing this. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1338848790' post='1680121']
Hey folks

Just wondering what the consensus here is regarding owning/playing multiple basses.

I have two---a 4 string jazz copy and a 5-string yamaha. The Yamaha is undoubtedly the better bass, but I have a real hankering to put pickup covers on the jazz, I just love that classic look.

Thing is, part of me thinks I should just stick to one bass and play the crap out of it. The necks on the two basses couldn't be more different (jazz neck vs 5 string 35" cricket bat) and I'm a bit worried that if I split my time between them I won't ever really master either...Plus part of me thinks "why play a cheap bass when you have an expensive one sitting there?".

[/quote]

I think it's probably best to stick to the 5-string better bass and I don't know... find somebody else who'd love the lowly Jazz copy ;) :lol:
(that's an "in joke", the Jazz used to be mine and in the past i expressed certain interest to buy it back :))

Now, seriously... I have a few basses, but I tend to play two of them 90% of the time. The ones that just sit in the rack don't bother me, it's not like I have to feed them or anything :lol:

I would be too nervous having only one bass. When my one bass needs to be out of action for some kind of maintenance work... even if I do it myself... I'd be too worried that it would not be ready when I need it.

The basses I have sound all different: different styles and different string types take care of that easily. Even if I only use a couple for the bands I play in, I still like to try different things at home.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1338849594' post='1680128']
At one time I had 7 basses and I had to play them in rotation. My secret favorite was the Indonesian Jazz Squier I picked up for £95. I've sold most of them off now and intend to end up with just my Frakenfender Jazz (made up of cannibalised bits of other Jazzes).
[/quote]

Even with all the basses I have and have had, my Westfield Pbass copy (first bass) is still the one that fits like a glove and feels like home.

I find that having more basses gives you more options and more sounds to play with, than restricting yourself to one bass or amp.
That's my reason but it does come at a price.

If funds allowed I would have another bass no doubt but only to serve as a backup just in case, but it would still need to be different, so either another Sterling bass, or if one ever comes up a Warwick FNA.

How do I get on with one bass?
Fine, more than fine. I have a tool set and spare stirngs with me all the time, and if a string breaks during set, I can play without the string, no problems. I'm not jealous of other who do have more than one, becuase(for me anyway) I make the most out of that one bass, I don't need a P or a J for those sounds I can coax those out of my one bass with my fingers and some light EQ'ing, and after all the Audience doesn't really know anyway.
I like the way I sound with the bass, and with anything else (that doesn't have that kind of pickup in the sweetspot atleast) I just can't get on with.

In the future I'd like to be known for spanking the same plank since for ever aswell. But then having a backup just in case never hurts.

Miss my sterling............

I have two basses but they're the same. One's natural and the other's gonna end up black when I'm done re-finishing it! Funnliy enough though, they do sound a little different. A variation on the same theme if you will?

I prefer to adjust the tone to the situation using my amp anyway. I usually whack the tone on full on the bass and then let the amp sort the rest out depending on whether I'm doing some gnarly NIN sounds or some smooth soul lines. I think I might end up setting the basses differently anyway; one with mutes and a higher action with flats, and the other with rounds and a low action.

I imagine they'll both fulfill different jobs when they're both sorted out and can then justify owning two of the same bass!

Truckstop

I'm not happy with having more than one bass. So I've got one bass. It serves me well. I can't be getting distracted by the 'have I made the best bass choice for this track/job/session/band, or what?' mentality. It's in the fingers, people. If it's playable and it feels good, that's cool. The rest is up to you.

I'm not sure I'd say it's a matter of coping :D

I don't really have any duplicates (ie, six Fender P's, etc), they're all different and I enjoy the differences. The bass nerd in me enjoys the different design philosophies and nuances of each. The bills get paid and there aren't any ongoing weekly costs to owning more than one, so I don't quite understand why anyone would worry about it.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1338855318' post='1680206']
If funds allowed I would have another bass no doubt but only to serve as a backup just in case, but it would still need to be different, so either another Sterling bass, or if one ever comes up a Warwick FNA.

How do I get on with one bass?
Fine, more than fine. I have a tool set and spare stirngs with me all the time, and if a string breaks during set, I can play without the string, no problems. I'm not jealous of other who do have more than one, becuase(for me anyway) I make the most out of that one bass, I don't need a P or a J for those sounds I can coax those out of my one bass with my fingers and some light EQ'ing, and after all the Audience doesn't really know anyway.
I like the way I sound with the bass, and with anything else (that doesn't have that kind of pickup in the sweetspot atleast) I just can't get on with.

In the future I'd like to be known for spanking the same plank since for ever aswell. But then having a backup just in case never hurts.

Miss my sterling............
[/quote]

So true, we anorak ourselves to death over this bass, that bass, this pick-up, that pre-amp.......but in the mix? if it's providing low end, the audience won't notice. It's personal comfort zones we are talking about.I always say the hankering for a P bass is because we have allowed ourselves to be brainwashed.." It's what Jamerson used, etcetc so it's the only way to go". Although I still can't find a P bass that blows me away. Anyway, I digress....
Yes I too have snapped strings and got by. a bugger when it's the E and the bottom end lacks a bit, but hey, it's not life or death.

I only have 4 (so far) two are in working order, but if the 4 were working, I'd play them all. They all sound different, they all play different.

In time I don't doubt that my collection will grow, and I will play them all for different things.

As I said many times, I have no high end basses, just basses I like, and that are fun to play ( The hated Fleabass is one of the fun to play ones, and I really like it )

I have NO intention in stopping at 4, and I also have no intention of spending 1000's on one bass ( personal preferences, well, unless i win the EuroMillions ;) )

Use whatever makes you happy. Whether you have 1, or 100 basses, once you're happy[b] fu*k the [i] begrudgers!! ;)[/i][/b]

most of the time(after finishing with bands in the mid90s) I had 3. 1 headless , 1fretless, 1 cricket bat.
Got to the middle of the last decade, and I now I have 9!(2 were bought from my friend who did lots for me and was starting his own usiness)
Then I got the bug, and started collecting a few.

Quit band stuff oct2010, so may get down to 3.
May even go down to one

I like basses, ergo I own multiple ones. I play whichever one takes my fancy at the time but I do make sure that they all get a run out (even my office bass gets out into the real world sometimes) and it's not a chore because I like playing all of them. I have no time for agonising about "which bass sounds right" - they all sound like basses - so I just pick one up and get on with it.

In short, I don't worry about it at all.

I have a 5 basses and another on the way plus 3 upright basses and an EUB, clearly that's far too much for one guy to play but it's a hobby and I suppose some basses will never really lose their value so it's money in the bank in a way.

Ironically when I was playing on a regular basis in the 80s and 90s I only had one bass, the EB Stingray and I could easily get away with having just that now but since I rarely got to the pub, or go out partying, have stopped riding motorbike and am not really into cars or anything else I don't think it's really a bad thing. Horse for courses and all that.

I have 4 at the moment.

Status Streamline
Status Energy
Status Energy Fretless
Sandberg TM4

They all sound very different. The Streamline has half wounds on it and I use it for old skool bass lines in Swing music. The fretless for similar things. The Energy 4 fretted and the Sandberg sound much more modern (even more than the all graphite Streamlime) and they get the rock & slap work.

If I have to grab just 1 bass though... it would be the fretted Energy. I've had it for 15 years or so and I love it. It is my mistress!

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1338888644' post='1680443']
I have a 5 basses and another on the way plus 3 upright basses and an EUB, clearly that's far too much for one guy to play but it's a hobby and I suppose some basses will never really lose their value so it's money in the bank in a way.

Ironically when I was playing on a regular basis in the 80s and 90s I only had one bass, the EB Stingray and I could easily get away with having just that now but since I rarely got to the pub, or go out partying, have stopped riding motorbike and am not really into cars or anything else I don't think it's really a bad thing. Horse for courses and all that.
[/quote]
I see your point......
Well said! Why shouldn't it be a collecting thing. Some people obsess over cars, models, et etc.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1338889593' post='1680462']
I see your point......
Well said! Why shouldn't it be a collecting thing. Some people obsess over cars, models, et etc.
[/quote]Isn't collecting models called kidnapping? :ph34r: