Why become a member? ×

Owning Multiple Basses...

uncle psychosis

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340360433' post='1703239']
:lol: Someone should start a new thread - 'Owning Multiple Rooms...'
Should be a nice, lively debate - [b]IBTL![/b]
[/quote]

Didn't the Govt come up with some odd plan for people with more rooms than they needed? Perhaps for every bass over two we'll be asked to share/hire with a bassless person.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340355124' post='1703121']
I'm not a fan of the Thunderbird, but... I think that one looks quite cool!
[/quote]

I totally agree. The all over oiled finish makes it feel great too. And if you pick up a dink just steam it out and rub it back.
But best of all, look at that bridge. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1340326869' post='1702997']
Nope it's a....

I bought it on a whim because ever since Gibson guru Neepheid took a Tokai T-bird around to mine for a jam one time, and despite me thinking they look a bit showy and vulgar and the fact that the indie kids have taken them over... I quite fancied having my own one. :D It was a good choice - I honestly would never have thought a bloody Epiphone could sound this brilliant.

The strange thing is that since this thread started I have been asked to join another band. The music is a bit more mainstream than I'm normally associated with and the guitarist plays a Gibson Explorer. This bass wouldn't look too out of place in that band. :unsure:

None the less I've chosen a bass from my old armoury that suits this band's music better - it's my homemade Surf Green '51 P (Betty, for those who've met her). I chose her because of her super fast neck and hot SD pup with it's the gritty, biting tone... but who knows, maybe one day I might actually bring myself to play the T-bird in public.

So there you go, that's another bass of mine about to get some action.... just as well I have so many to choose from. :lol:
[/quote]

Nice T-Bird Rich!

BTW, I've sent you a pm.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1338848790' post='1680121']
....Just wondering what the consensus here is regarding owning/playing multiple basses....
[/quote]

Professional players will have as many basses as they feel they need in order to cover any situation.

Non professional players will own as many as they can lech after.

I have 4 basses but I only ever play one. I really should sell the others but I never seem to get around to it. I don't see the need to own basses that overlap. All I really need is a fretted 5 string and a fretless electro acoustic 5 string. That would cover everything I could want to play.

Gotta say i am fed up with GAS even though i have another bass arriving over the weekend! I justify it by telling myself that i need to try all this stuff out but in reality i have all the basses i will ever need. It costs a fortune in strings too maintaining 5/6 basses.

In future i am operating a 1 in and 1 out policy and want to keep the collection down to 4/5 basses tops.

something I realised today.
Sat in uni library at lunch flicking through the NME for the first time in years.... and lots of guitars and basses there.
But unlike years back where folk would have some old strat that they modded themselves... it all seemed to be stock guitars. I wonder if we've just become more used to going out and buying another bass or a different bass than just modding/fixing/refreting the one we have?

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1340360338' post='1703237']
Telebass - can you explain this concept of "enough" please? I still have rooms in my house without a bass ;)
[/quote]

The formula is:

Enough basses = n + 1, where n is the number of basses you currently own.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340373421' post='1703569']
The formula is:

Enough basses = n + 1, where n is the number of basses you currently own.
[/quote]

I would say enough = n + x, where x is the number of basses in existence that you don't yet own :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1340371152' post='1703491']
something I realised today.
Sat in uni library at lunch flicking through the NME for the first time in years.... and lots of guitars and basses there.
But unlike years back where folk would have some old strat that they modded themselves... it all seemed to be stock guitars. I wonder if we've just become more used to going out and buying another bass or a different bass than just modding/fixing/refreting the one we have?
[/quote]

We're all terrified of making any sort of change to our instruments nowadays. Not sure why, I don't think its only tied up resale value. We seem to think the wood used for a guitar has been somehow blessed by the angel Fender and is now sacred. Even down to a pickguard screw.

Guitars are cheaper but we're more materialistic.

I do have one bass I'm a bit precious about - my '91 Thumb, because in 1990/91 I really wanted a Thumb. I do love it still, and I'm not so precious that I don't gig it, but I would have to think long and hard before selling it.

I have one other bass guitar - a Squier Jazz which I keep because I like to have a bass strung with flats. And two double basses: One indestructible laminate for street busking, and a carved bass for when I need something that sounds good. ;)

I do still get a hankering for a 5-string sometimes. I think eventually I'll buckle and buy a Yamaha BB1025x, but I'm resisting quite well so far.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1340375502' post='1703655']
I do have one bass I'm a bit precious about - my '91 Thumb, because in 1990/91 I really wanted a Thumb. I do love it still, and I'm not so precious that I don't gig it, but I would have to think long and hard before selling it.

I have one other bass guitar - a Squier Jazz which I keep because I like to have a bass strung with flats. And two double basses: One indestructible laminate for street busking, and a carved bass for when I need something that sounds good. ;)

I do still get a hankering for a 5-string sometimes. I think eventually I'll buckle and buy a Yamaha BB1025x, but I'm resisting quite well so far.
[/quote]

....and so the rot begins! Leave BC, while you can, it may be too late for some of us but you're young, you know can do it!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1340374976' post='1703630']
We're all terrified of making any sort of change to our instruments nowadays. Not sure why, I don't think its only tied up resale value. We seem to think the wood used for a guitar has been somehow blessed by the angel Fender and is now sacred. Even down to a pickguard screw.

Guitars are cheaper but we're more materialistic.
[/quote]

I think that there has been a downturn in modding because there is so much variety now, you can probably find the exact bass you want without having to buy something like it then mod it to suit. I don't mod basses much these days because I think they're just fine the way they are. The only modded one I own now is my G&L Tribute L-2000, and that's a reversible, do no harm mod as it's just a replaced switch and a wiring change. Furthermore, it was worth it because it unlocked a setting not normally available which I happen to think is the nicest sounding one (single inner coils in parallel).

There is an element of preserving future value, I won't deny it. But have you seen some of the abortions of stripped and ronsealed P basses from back in the day? Seemed like a good idea at the time? D'oh! Perhaps you have seen how my Gibson Victory Artist arrived - horrible blue refin, silver hammerite on the pickguard, push button mounted in the battery cover which cuts off the battery (which you can't help pressing when playing), and to cap it all off - a "roasted" neck, but done with a blowtorch instead of an oven. So I "unmodded" it. Now it's probably worthless, but to me it's priceless.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1340379737' post='1703795']
I think that there has been a downturn in modding because there is so much variety now, you can probably find the exact bass you want without having to buy something like it then mod it to suit. I don't mod basses much these days because I think they're just fine the way they are. The only modded one I own now is my G&L Tribute L-2000, and that's a reversible, do no harm mod as it's just a replaced switch and a wiring change. Furthermore, it was worth it because it unlocked a setting not normally available which I happen to think is the nicest sounding one (single inner coils in parallel).

There is an element of preserving future value, I won't deny it. But have you seen some of the abortions of stripped and ronsealed P basses from back in the day? Seemed like a good idea at the time? D'oh! Perhaps you have seen how my Gibson Victory Artist arrived - horrible blue refin, silver hammerite on the pickguard, push button mounted in the battery cover which cuts off the battery (which you can't help pressing when playing), and to cap it all off - a "roasted" neck, but done with a blowtorch instead of an oven. So I "unmodded" it. Now it's probably worthless, but to me it's priceless.
[/quote]is the worth from the fact you did the work on it? and maybe the other fella derived worth from it's modding.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1340379737' post='1703795']

[/quote]
Whatever mods you carry out, no pickups or electronics can duplicate the sound and more importantly, the feel of a short scale, a fretless board, flat wounds or hollow bodies. I still like modding basses but I have a number of short and long scales with a variety of strings because I like the way they're so different - different strings mean different feel means different bass.

Sorry if this has already been said but there are 8 pages of posts - I can't read every one!!!!!

Edit: by the way I forgot to say neepheid, the reason your Gibson is priceless must be due to the work you put into it, surely not the fact that it's closer to standard. Work's work, whether your modding or un-modding....

Edited by henry norton

I've recently got GAS and it really is quite scary.
For many years I had one bass - no problems.
However, having a second home in another country meant I had to get a second bass and that's when the trouble began.
It's like the floodgates have opened.
There is no such thing as a few.
It's one or many.
I'm buying two more this weekend ffs.
How do you get rid of GAS? Is there any cure?

CB

PS: Although - here's a thought. Musical instruments are quite a good investment. And a fairly safe way to avoid putting all your eggs in the one bank basket that just might go belly up.

I have waaaaaaaaay too many basses now. I used to buy them to use in my only band but it got silly...mostly just testing different types to find what I liked really.
However more recently I decided that 2 of my 6-strings, one fretted, one not, are for the band. The rest I am using at home now I've gotten back into learning songs etc so I can have a main in the band and main at home etc.
I've given them different jobs / tunings etc the only issue is they are of so many different brands, spacings and scales it's a menace to muscle memory at times. I'd shed them and buy more similar models but tbh, I've seen people put em up around here and most wouldn't shift without mass undercuts so...I'm stuck with em. X-D

It's a problem sometimes I agree...I always wanted "The One" but in all honesty, unless you always play one genre, band and tuning...you'll never get it.
Like a variety of tools in a box, each bass has it's different use. However, I would suggest trying to get them as similar to each other as you can. ;-)

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1340388357' post='1703989']
How do you get rid of GAS? Is there any cure?

[/quote]

Nope, your terminal. X-D

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1340360338' post='1703237']
Telebass - can you explain this concept of "enough" please? I still have rooms in my house without a bass ;)
[/quote]
Ah, well, that's a context I haven't explored, even after 40 years +...
Now, let me see...

[size=6]2![/size]

Warwick 5-string - active/coil-split - roundwounds - does everything 'modern'
Sue Ryder :D - passive/back-up for when my back's broken - solely for the P-bass and flatwounds sound :)

Sorted.

Apart from...
A Dingwall (intriguing)
A proper vintage Fender (just because)
A single-cut six-string (for self-indulgent guitar territory)
A fretless (for staying in tune with the guitarist)
A cricket-bat headless (for that 80s band I haven't joined yet but might do at some point in the future/epic mirror-posing)
A short-scale (just for giggles)
A Fodera (bling)
A custom bass built to render the entire collection obsolete
And so on and so forth :D

Edited by Ben Jamin