Why become a member? ×

Noooooo!!!!!

chris_b

Ok, so for nearly 5 years I've been happily telling you all, "they're all good songs get over it", "see the best in all music", "Mustang Sally is a great number"... etc, etc.

But I've finally reached a point so low and devoid of hope that I’m not sure how I’m going to bounce back. Enough is enough, right? For the first time in my life I feel like quitting because of a song!! The singer's sent around an mp3 to learn for the next gig..... Tainted Love!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFFFS!!!!

I've mentioned that 4 definitely middle aged, hetro men, who have never in their lives opened their shirts to their waists, playing the most well known gay anthem in the world is beyond all reasonable expectations and bound to get us into terrible trouble in the Shires, but he seems to think that the Gloria Jones version somehow makes everything OK!!!!

We play some stinkers but usually there is a little musicality to latch onto, but this? It’s got nothing! I’m going to have nightmares tonight, I know it!! So don't tell me to "see the best in all music"! My sense of humour seems to be missing at the moment.

I've got 4 days to decide what to do; leave the country, chop my arm off….!

Help needed.

I've got a fairly brutal saw that I use for trimming tree branches if the worst comes to the worst...

Seriously though, try it, you might like it. In its defence the Marilyn Manson version gave the song a bit more of a 'hetero' edge (if you feel that it's important to your audience), so it might not be such a big issue.

Wikipedia also informs me it was the biggest selling UK single in 1981.

When I have a tune that burns me or is so simple on the chart I almost fall asleep in the middle of it, since I do know the songs so well, I use it to clear my mind and focus on the next chart that takes more focus. Some outthere still likes it, and that same someone is paying to hear it, and we have to deliver.

Last time I played that song was at a mate's 18th birthday party. We'd been absolutely forbidden to get him a stripper, so an impromptu band played while the rest of his male friends 'seductively' stripped to boxers and jumped on him. The pub refused to accept any money for the broken chair on the grounds that the look on his face was worth every penny.

...in short it's every bit as bad as you think!

It's a cracking pop record that tons of people know and like, don't see why you wouldn't throw it in a set.

If any assumed status as a 'homosexual anthem' or the fact that the most well known rendition of it was sung by an outwardly gay bloke is putting anyone in your band off playing it then I wouldn't say the problem was in the audience.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

The gay bit isn't important; the killer for me is that I just don't see any musical worth in any version of this song.

Of course teeth will be gritted. It's only 3 mins of toe curling pain. I'm a professional; I can deal with this!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1335771785' post='1635567']
Thanks for everyone's advice.

The gay bit isn't important; the killer for me is that I just don't see any musical worth in any version of this song.

Of course teeth will be gritted. It's only 3 mins of toe curling pain. I'm a professional; I can deal with this!
[/quote]

You don't see any musical worth in it but the Gloria Jones version is a great dance song - I know a full dance floor is always a massive buzz to me.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1335772928' post='1635589']
Played it a few times.,, metal style!! Great song
can't see what all the fuss is about!
At least it's not brown eyed girl
[/quote]

Even that can be awesome

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0OaF-4X6GA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0OaF-4X6GA[/url]

Feel your pain, Chris...

it is up to bands to educate punters and this is a step too far. No good will come of it.
Put your foot down and refuse to play any sh*te people come up with.
That way, bands get stronger the less you pander to crap suggestions like this.