Why become a member? ×

Being asked to turn down by management

Dave Vader

So, for the 8000000000th time on friday, the management at the venue we were playing (small pub, neighbours who like to complain a lot) asked us to turn down before we'd even made a sound, and then after the world's quietest soundcheck, asked us if we could still be quieter. Bearing in mind that this is the quietest band I've ever been in (synth-heavy 80s tribute, Duran Duran, Spandau, etc. etc.) I have rarely been left with so much as a ring in my last working ear after one of our sets. Made me chuckle again, as I pressed the DFA button on the desk and said "No worries, love, we'll go down another notch or two".

Then, the guitarist and the drummer turned round to us and said "Shall we just ****ing go?" and intimated that they weren't prepared to put up with this crap, and we were too good for this gig anyway and so on and so on. Me and the singer were fairly clear that we were doing the damn gig, and needed the money, and had driven for about 2 hours to get here anyway. Guitar player was so sulky, he turned down for the whole 1st set to a completely inaudible level (despite me and the singer askig him between each song not to be a twat, he finally turned up for the 2nd set, after keyboard player had a word) which p*ssed me off even more.

My view has always been that the person who is paying you to play in their venue can pretty much ask you to do anything (within reason) and you should smilingly agree and carry on. I can't be doing with the ego thing. Also I used to run a pub with problem neighbours, and had to try and keep the levels as low as possible, and if you don't remind most bands a good two or three times, they do tend to get louder, she's just doing her job. Anyone have an opposing view? Do you believe that as "the talent" you have a god given right to play as loud as you want wherever you like? Or like me, are you a firm believer in the DFA button and a kind smile and nod?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1317034966' post='1385626']
So, for the 8000000000th time on friday, the management at the venue we were playing (small pub, neighbours who like to complain a lot) asked us to turn down before we'd even made a sound, and then after the world's quietest soundcheck, asked us if we could still be quieter. Bearing in mind that this is the quietest band I've ever been in (synth-heavy 80s tribute, Duran Duran, Spandau, etc. etc.) I have rarely been left with so much as a ring in my last working ear after one of our sets. Made me chuckle again, as I pressed the DFA button on the desk and said "No worries, love, we'll go down another notch or two".

Then, the guitarist and the drummer turned round to us and said "Shall we just ****ing go?" and intimated that they weren't prepared to put up with this crap, and we were too good for this gig anyway and so on and so on. Me and the singer were fairly clear that we were doing the damn gig, and needed the money, and had driven for about 2 hours to get here anyway. Guitar player was so sulky, he turned down for the whole 1st set to a completely inaudible level (despite me and the singer askig him between each song not to be a twat, he finally turned up for the 2nd set, after keyboard player had a word) which p*ssed me off even more.

My view has always been that the person who is paying you to play in their venue can pretty much ask you to do anything (within reason) and you should smilingly agree and carry on. I can't be doing with the ego thing. Also I used to run a pub with problem neighbours, and had to try and keep the levels as low as possible, and if you don't remind most bands a good two or three times, they do tend to get louder, she's just doing her job. Anyone have an opposing view? Do you believe that as "the talent" you have a god given right to play as loud as you want wherever you like? Or like me, are you a firm believer in the DFA button and a kind smile and nod?
[/quote]

I would agree with all you say especially if you are being paid for the gig. I stay beside a venue and there is nothing worse then excessive noise in the wee small hours. The watchword here is 'excessive'. How loud do you need to be for your set to appreciated? I've often felt at many pub gigs that the level of volume was so unnecessary.

Last before one pub gig we were asked after we turned the amps down as low as viable "Can you turn the drums down?"
I'm going to stick a DFA volume knob on the kit for next time.

Back to the OP. You're there. You're unloaded. You're set up. You're an employee for the night.
Play the best you can within the constraints imposed and if you don't like it don't go back.
At worst it's a paid rehearsal.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1317035282' post='1385634']IMO you're absolutely right Dave.
If it's a paid gig, you are the employee and need to follow whatever criteria are laid down by your 'manager'.
Anyone can play loud, playing quietly and still getting the feel across is what seperates the men from the boys.[/quote]

Agree fully with this. Whislt I`m sure none of us likes to play over-quietly (have I just invented a new word) it`s only the real deal that can do it and still sound good. Those that aren`t very good just sound awful when they try to do it.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1317035282' post='1385634']Anyone can play loud, playing quietly and still getting the feel across is what seperates the men from the boys.[/quote]

BINGO!

Lets face it, who HASN'T been asked to turn down (if you haven;t, you're not trying hard enough :).

icastle is spot on with his above statement.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1317036376' post='1385665']
One more thing. I never understand being asked to play until midnight in a venue where they're worried about the neighbours. Why not start earlier and play until 11pm?
[/quote]

Good point, same venue once told us we had to play right up to midnight, after we had started early and cut the break short to try and keep what few punters she had in there for her. One reason among many that we're not going back (can't deal with the sulky drummer, easier just not to go there again).

Once played a venue that had a traffic light sound monitor thingy and after hitting the red a few times we were asked to turn down (old band, not current) Bandleader/singer was giving ##ck you to the landlord (yes he did have an ego issue) we were never asked back *sigh* I think his hearing was going cos we had an insane rig for a pub band (2k bass bins anyone?) ALWAYS went home with my ears ringing

I'd just say to them - and i have said this - "Don't book bands - get yourself a disco, duo or have a quiz" but not something WITH ACOUSTIC DRUMS. I just don't get why they would book a full band if noise is an issue. Its like a vegetarian ordering a bacon sandwhich then complaining its got meat in. Derrr - hello.

There is a limit to how low you can go on drums and believe me our poor drummer was using spaghetti sticks and was using the lightest touch on his bass pedal. It wasn't good enough for the venue. We had a quick chat in the break and decided we didn't need the gig or the money or the hassle so we packed up and left.

The thing is that if there are too many complaints from neighbours, and noise levels regularly exceed those set by DoE, the pub can have it's license revoked. That means that NO bands get to play there.

Bands are employed to provide entertainment, not to stroke their own egos. You do have a duty to do as the manager asks. If that involves turning down to ludicrously low volume, then so be it. It's your choice if you decide to take another booking in future, but while you're there on the night you keep the manager and the customers happy... and get paid at the end of the night.

I do have some issues with people who move in next door to a pub and then complain when it gets a bit noisy. If you live near a venue it's only to be expected that there will be some noise. I live near a social club that regularly has the back door open while music is being played, smokers who holler at the top of their voices all night, and customers who seem to like spending 20 minutes shouting goodbye and revving car engines & doing donuts in the car park. I wouldn't dream of complaining though - I knew the club was there when I moved in. Unfortunately, not all people are quite as tolerant as me. :)

Often get this on the covers scene. Theres nothing you can do about it except turn up to the gig with the appropriate gear. For venues such as this we just use POD's through the PA and the drummer has to use Rods. You do the job thats in front of you, simple as. If the drummer and guitarist cant be professional enough to deal with it shaft them.

Strangely, my band have never been asked to turn down, although i do think we control our volume relatively well. We do have limitations gear wise, such as me only using a 150w 1x12 combo most of the time, but even then, i can still hear myself and the crowd can without me cranking it to the max, i can even still hear the kick which isn't miked, and this is a pop/punk/alternative band too.

Liam

Most rock covers bands are massively too loud

Most other bands are too loud

IMO & IME

You do not need a 2K PA for a pub, 300w a side 'vocal' PA will do it, then use the smallest guitar rig known to man and spill a little into the PA to aid dispersion to the punters.

If punters cant hold a conversation at the bar, or order a drink easily, you are not helping the landlord.

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1317042136' post='1385807']
If punters cant hold a conversation at the bar, or order a drink easily, you are not helping the landlord.
[/quote]

Yep.
Pub gigs are awkward to play as music is not the sole reason that people are there.
If you're too loud than the punters rasie their voices so they can talk, then the band cranks the volume up a bit to compensate and the punters start to shout to communicate so the band turns up some more... :)

I knew a drummer who had a kit set up for quiet gigs, smallest shells he could get hold of, he put a pillow inside the snare drum, took the bottom skin off the toms, replaced the batter skin with the heaviest oil filled heads he could, and put a single (actually it might have been a double duvet) duvet in the kick drum.

Halved the volume of the kit, sure it didnt sound as nice, but it was really quiet, meant he coul dplay with sticks, and in a mix didnt sound too bad at all....

He was a really really busy drummer too.

The venue either suits you or it doesn't so you have choice to play or not.

I tend to watch the 1st set and see how people are having to communicate and that dictates how loud we should be.

Bands are now taking in tops and subs which wouldn't be the end of the world if they use'd it better, and I am against subs as my bass doesn't benefit in small places anyway.