Why become a member? ×

Being asked to turn down by management

Dave Vader

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1317216064' post='1388189']Its just being practical. If they don't want the drummer to use his bass drum then they are effectively telling us what brushes we should use (excuse me if the analogy is getting complicated). At this point the talking from the audience is starting to drown out the singer. [b]The customer stops being the customer when you say you don't want payment and leave so they haven't lost out. We lost out on an evening when we could have been doing something else. Its got nothing to do with egos or things getting thrown out of prams. Its more to do with five people agreeing that someone is being unreasonable and making a decision[/b].[/quote]

It doesnt matter what the job is you've just described walking out on the job, which is never the professional solution to the problem. It always comes across as throwing your toys out of the pram, however calmly you do it. Like it or not, unreasonable or not, that is the perception you will give.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1317128415' post='1387078']
But there are only a limited number of bands that will bring in punters and help to establish a pub as a successful music venue

In my experience, there are very few complaints about noise from landlords who have a pub packed full of thirsty customers who have come to see the band!
[/quote]

+1 to this, might be the reason my band never get asked to turn down.

Also, i have to agree with the people saying that for those few hours, the landlord is your boss. He/She is the one who has hired you, the one who will be paying you, and the one that can offer you extra work in the future, possibly even for a higher rate. Get on their bad side, and thats potentially a lot of money lost, for the both of you.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1317214252' post='1388136']
[size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#333333]Playing a semitone down or what brushers he users is just daft you don't care how he does it just so long has the painter does a good job, respects your property and doesn't P off the neighbours.[/color][/font][/size][color=#333333][size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]..[/font][/size][/color][/quote]
Yeah it is daft but it was you that said it was like getting the painters in and them having to do everything that the guy who's house it was getting painted told them to do because he was paying them. Now you're saying as long as the job gets done and the neighbours are cool then the landlord (guy who's getting his house painted) shouldn't care what they do. Pick a side Mr shouty pants. :)

edit : what colour is this pub we're talking about anyway? I'm getting lost. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1317218313' post='1388243']
Some of you must be desperate for gigs
[/quote]

I am, I love gigging and have never personally turned one down.

If we are booked to play a venue we assume we are there to entertain someone, other than the person paying. While we might not get on with the boss we feel that if just one person is listening and enjoying it then we are doing a good job, no matter how hard we are struggling (and we do, a lot).

Its not all about us, its about playing music for other peoples enjoyment.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1317218313' post='1388243']
Some of you must be desperate for gigs
[/quote]

I guess that's (sort of) the point... if you have plenty of bookings and a large fanbase, then maybe you have a "sellers market" and are able to dictate your own terms. I imagine bands like Metallica and Coldplay, etc, enjoy this sort of luxury! But maybe some well known pub bands do too.

However, I'd guess that most pub bands operate in a "buyers market" - which means they're at the beck and call of the buyers, those being pub landlords, like it or not.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1317218531' post='1388247']
what colour is this pub we're talking about anyway? [/quote]
Black and White. Bob the landlord's a bit pissed off though. Painter told him it was "Midnight Sky" and "Creme De Lait".

Same f***ing thing, innit, just twice the price

We are lucky in so much as we have plenty of gigs into next year and lots in the pipeline. I am also a dep for a couple of other bands so am pretty busy playing-wise. That said, this is my main band of whom i am a proud long serving member (ooh err). There comes a point when your own integrity is more important than being told what and how to play by a wine bar manager. Its not that we didn't try to accomodate their wishes it was just that for us playing without drums in a funk soul band is not an option. They can always get a disco or duo etc.

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1317210281' post='1388054']
The way is look at is this, the landlord pays you to do a job just like you would pay someone to paint your house. you wouldn't expect them do what they want. you pay them to paint it how you want it.
[/quote]

On the flipside of that, were I to pay an electrician to rewire my house I'd be doing so because he knows how it's done better than me, so I'd have no business telling him to wire the 13A sockets with doorbell wire or install lightbulb sockets made of cheese, and would expect to be told to flip off if I insisted.

FWIW I CAN see both sides of this, as I've done promotion, venue handling and sound engineering as well as the gigging band side. With the only covers band I was in (hence the only band playing pubs regularly) I was playing drums, and very deliberately had as my main kit a heavily-damped 20x8" kick drum, fairly damped 10" and 13" toms and quite lightweight cymbals (incidentally, very old Zildjians which I wouldn't thrape anyway as they cost me a fortune :)).

If I was STILL too loud (and it did happen once), we politely explained that there wasn't a volume control on an acoustic drumkit and that to play it any quieter would throughly alter the sound (really, you either use rods/brushes, which have a TOTALLY different rebound and 'feel' to sticks, or you hit very lightly, which again can throw your rebound all to cock).
IIRC we bluffed through that one, but I'm firmly of the opinion that if you hire a band with acoustic drums you need to be SURE that your venue/clientele/neighbours will be alright with SPLs of 100dBA +. If you're not sure, book an acoustic act, one of those hideous 'bloke + backing track' acts, or put on a quiz or something.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1317222094' post='1388307']
There comes a point when your own integrity is more important than being told what and how to play by a wine bar manager. [/quote]
Never a truer word spoken. Last encounter I had with a wine bar manager, he pushes a menu in front of me and says "I'd recommend the sea bass, Sir."

Cheeky f***er. I told him alright, didn't I.

"I'm the eater here, matey. I've been doing eating for years. I know what works and what doesn't. And if you're going to take it on yourself to make suggestions about what I eat, I'm out of here. There's just no point. And your decor sucks. You need a repaint"

That told him. Plenty of other wine bars out there.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1317222913' post='1388322']

but I'm firmly of the opinion that if you hire a band with acoustic drums you need to be SURE that your venue/clientele/neighbours will be alright with SPLs of 100dBA +.
[/quote]

...and the band walking out if they dont like, or cant cope with the playing conditions :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1317221066' post='1388291']

............. I'd guess that most pub bands operate in a "buyers market" - which means they're at the beck and call of the buyers, those being pub landlords, like it or not.
[/quote]

Only decent ones....landlords that is.

If I make an enquiry about a new venue to us, I always think I should go along and see the lie of the land. I will also talk to other bands about their experiences there but these don't always relate.
Sometimes, you just know it is not going to work on the phone and putting bands in Duo pubs is one of them and not for us.
Having said that..a good landlord is worth making a few compromises for..and at the end of the day a good vibe at the venue gets past a lot of obstacles, but for some places it isn't worth it.
If you approach any gig with a negative position, why are you doing it...?? so we don't.

Desperation to play gigs doesn't make you popular though, it just satifies the individuals need to get out and play...which again, is not the point, IMO.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317218570' post='1388251']

I am, I love gigging and have never personally turned one down.

If we are booked to play a venue we assume we are there to entertain someone, other than the person paying. While we might not get on with the boss we feel that if just one person is listening and enjoying it then we are doing a good job, no matter how hard we are struggling (and we do, a lot).

Its not all about us, its about playing music for other peoples enjoyment.
[/quote]
[size=4][color=black][font=Arial]I'm afraid, my friend, that attitude will ensure that you are doomed to mediocrity! [/font][/color][/size]

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1317232011' post='1388487']
[size=4][color=black][font=Arial]I'm afraid, my friend, that attitude will ensure that you are doomed to mediocrity! [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

LOL.

Thats just your opinion, which of course you are welcome to.

Im happy doing what im doing.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317232307' post='1388494']

LOL.

[/quote]
Which is cool....!

But not an approach that I would be prepared to take...........

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317232307' post='1388494']

LOL.

[/quote]

Me Too +1000000000

I have never turned down a paying gig and don't intend to.

If someone wants to pay me to play, I will take the money and give the best performance I can within their remit.