Why become a member? ×

Being asked to turn down by management

Dave Vader

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1317385067' post='1390154']
I keep getting misquoted. It was someone else who said "I was merely making the point that for most members here, playing covers doesn`t involve any integrity".

For my part i will always try and get the gig done. The one time it didn't happen was when we were told to finish the gig without the drummer. We didn't want to play a funk/soul set without drums cos we knew it would sound rubbish. Why is that so difficult to understand? So we talked about it and then told the manager that we weren't able to play our set without drums and suggested that we pack up and go. He, i think, was quite relieved as he was worried about loosing his licence due to complaints from neighbours to the council. There were no histrionics or handbags at dawn. It was all handled, dare i say, with integrity. No-one died. We still work in another of their establishments so they obviously weren't too upset.
[/quote]

My quote was based you your "Maybe thats where I differ from "most members here" comment. Im not questioning you have integrity, i just dont know why you think others dont have it.

Now that you have elaborated on the walk out then i can understand that its not as unprofessional as it sounded, and was probably the right thing to do as long as the Landlord was in agreement. I dont think you had mentioned the landlord's reaction or opinion before (its along thread so sorry if you have).

I think this thread has gone on far to long, ive lost track of whats been said. Im glad you cleared up the walking out issue though.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1317385858' post='1390170']
Leaving aside 'integrity' - which is a matter of subjectivity and therefore an unreliable universal indicator - might I suggest a practical alternative.

Before unloading one's gear, one should establish the height of the stage. An inexpensive tape measure from a DIY store will suffice for this purpose.

If the 'stage' is the same height as the surrounding area, it is likely that the audience is there for a quiet pint and will raise objections to excessive volume. Between zero altitude and about 90 cm, one can cautiously turn the wick up a little bit. Ah! I can feel that Rock and Roll coming on!

Above 90cm, it is almost certain that one is in a 'music venue' and should feel free to exercise one's integrity by turning one's volume knob fully clockwise. Enjoy!
[/quote]
Luckily we are always booked by the latter. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317386010' post='1390172']

My quote was based you your "Maybe thats where I differ from "most members here" comment. Im not questioning you have integrity, i just dont know why you think others dont have it.

Now that you have elaborated on the walk out then i can understand that its not as unprofessional as it sounded, and was probably the right thing to do as long as the Landlord was in agreement. I dont think you had mentioned the landlord's reaction or opinion before (its along thread so sorry if you have).

I think this thread has gone on far to long, ive lost track of whats been said. Im glad you cleared up the walking out issue though.
[/quote]

I agree, it sounds a lot less pissy now that it first came across. BTW who's paying the painters?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317386010' post='1390172']

[/quote]
OK, last time and then i am off of this thread. It was the Monkcyman who said "I was merely making the point that for most members here, playing covers doesn`t involve any integrity or artistic feelings"

Personally i would never aim to talk for others in such general terms but it was that comment which led to the response "Maybe thats where I differ from "most members here" comment. If the comment is true (and i don't believe it is) then i wouldn't want to be branded as someone who puts in minimal effort just becasue we are playing lowly covers. We always want to do the best for our clients. On this very rare occasion the best thing to do was pack up.

Enough said.

I thought I'd never get to the end of this thread.

There are two pubs round here where the landlord knows the space and the proximity of the neighbours means the pub isn't suitable for anything more than an acoustic duo, but still book bands. One booked a 9-piece Lynrd Skynrd tribute on a Sunday and wondered why environmental health came round with a meter next morning. We tested the meter with acoustic guitar and vocals and it tripped out, but she still kept trying to persuade us to come back and play as a full band. Just mental.

Edited by spinynorman

There is nothing wrong with the odd gig not working out and going home or vetting gigs so you only do the ones you enjoy. The problem I have with some bands /musicians is they think they are doing a venue a favour by playing it and their music is such a precious thing that it should never be compromised in any way. I also hate working with musicians who will ruin the performance by not willing or are capable at playing at a volume required for the situation. IE guitarist who won't turn down, drummers who will thrash the hell out of a kit no matter what. Some band just want to play at rock starts for the night.
Fortunately most musicians/ bands are adult about things.

I went to see my favourite pub covers band last night.

I always use my ear plugs at rock venues. You could not hold a conversation as they are very loud.
No one asks them to turn down as it is the type of venue that requires a loud band!
They gave me one of their merchandise caps (frequent follower!) and dedicated 'Shine on you crazy diamond' to me :)

Fantastic night and a great tight band.

Just thought I would add this to the end of a long and somewhat meandering thread :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1317507359' post='1391475']

Yes, at The Vic in Coalville.... Mind you, I was only using my 600w Ashdown and the guitarists only had a piddling 200w Blackstar and 4x12 each!
[/quote]

Went past there for the first time in months last week.

They've got a sign up outside... "THE PLACE FOR MEN AND MOTORS"
I almost crashed the car laughing at the image that conjoured up of leather caps and moustaches... :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1317574717' post='1391914']

Went past there for the first time in months last week.

They've got a sign up outside... "THE PLACE FOR MEN AND MOTORS"
I almost crashed the car laughing at the image that conjoured up of leather caps and moustaches... :)
[/quote]

I wouldn't mention that to any of the regulars if I were you.... :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1317754262' post='1394230']

Ha ha....I'm ok in there.... Iron Python are local heroes..... And a couple of them are the regulars!
[/quote]

Damn.

Iron Python don't sound like the sort of band that would play a tango so thats blown that image out of my head... :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1317845913' post='1395436']
The only experience I've had similar to this, was then the sound engineer asked us all to turn our amps down... But this was only so that he could turn the monitors up! We were still loud as f*ck... Just sounded abslutely crap :)
[/quote]

If the engineer can do it (and the PA/monitors can cope) though, this is absolutely the best way of getting a good out-front sound. The way I tend to do it when I'm engineering is to get the drum kit going at full pelt (without any mics active), then get other players to turn amps up so that they can hear enough of THEMSELVES to work with (never mind the rest of the band at this stage, just enough to hear what they're doing over the drums). You then bring in the vocals in monitors only, get the balance right on THOSE so that everyone can hear what they need, then feed in any other instruments into people's monitors as required.

Note the front-of-house system isn't even running yet, but the band should already have a mix that everyone can work with and which isn't ungodly-loud, so then the engineer can pretty much run the out-front sound as he/she sees fit, without affecting the onstage mix.

'course, this requires at least three monitor sends, everything mic'ed, and a decent amount of power in the wedges, but by Crikey it works. Totally unnecessary for a pub gig and hence pretty much irrelevant to this discussion, but thought I'd share :)

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1317858021' post='1395620']

If the engineer can do it (and the PA/monitors can cope) though, this is absolutely the best way of getting a good out-front sound.
[/quote]

I totally agree dude. But i fail to see what the point is in a relatively small venue when i've already told him my amp is plenty loud without the PA :)

EDIT: I've just remembered the majority of younger metal bassists that I've come across who don't realise that the volume knob can go anti-clockwise... It's probably best not to trust us! :)

Edited by chrismuzz

He is probably also used to guitar players with huge stacks who will not turn down, and lumps you metal bassists in with them (I have had similar problems while twiddling knobs in pubs) It's nice when the landlord comes and tells the poor guy at the desk to turn it down, for him to actually be able to, rather than do the usual shrug, point at the guitarist with his huge marshall stack, and say "tell him that"