Why become a member? ×

POLL! Who uses a hard case for gigs, and who uses a gig bag?

Evil Undead

Its going to depend on two things - are you touring and do you load your own gear?

Anyone touring with all their gear in a van or flying would be more likely to use a hardcase as would someone who doesn't load their own gear.

I carry and transport my own gear all the time so I know that I can use a gig bag.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1266166' date='Jun 12 2011, 03:20 PM']As it says on the tin :)

Also, I'm interested to hear if you use different types of case for different basses, depending on brand, venue, etc.[/quote]

I voted hardcase, bt it really depends.

If the gig is local and I don´t need to bring amp etc, I´m more likely to use a gigbag, because it´s easy to carry and frankly it offers enough protection: I am very careful where I leave it.

If I have to bring my amp, then I will be driving. If I´m driving then it doesn´t matter whether I carry more or less stuff, and I tend to pick the hardcase. Also, if I have to carry the bass in a van or another vehicle where other large objects may at some point impact on it by accident, I will use a hard case.

I use two hard cases (MusicMan and a Gator ABS one), and also one o fthose lighte ones, bsically made of polystyrene, moulded, and covered with fluffy material inside and hard nylon outside. Very light, and good protection.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1266211' date='Jun 12 2011, 03:48 PM']Hard case if someone else is moving the bass and gig bag if I am.[/quote]

+1 :)

Dammit, Mark beat me to it by 11 minutes

I do occasionally use my gator hard/softcase, a lot lighter than a proper hardcase and virtually indestructible too, I knew a guy who ran over one of his basses in his car once (american too so the car won't have been small) and he said the case and bass were both completely unscathed!

Edited by dc2009

Gig bag 98% of the time...ususally an iGig-Although it's been about 5 years since I used a
hardcase.

I've had my basses in and out of cars and trailers and vans and planes(on board and in the hold) in
gig bags and have never had any problems at all. Hardcases are a pain in the arse to carry.
Get a good quality gig bag (iGig or Mono or whoever) and you'll be fine.