Why become a member? ×

POLL! Who uses a hard case for gigs, and who uses a gig bag?

Evil Undead

[quote name='Dubs' post='1267024' date='Jun 13 2011, 10:06 AM']My gigbag is smaller than a hardcase though - there's nothing to agree or disagree with about that. Maybe only slightly, but it's the difference between it being able to fit on the back seat of a Corsa or having to be squeezed down into the rear passenger foot space, if you get what I mean.[/quote]
Again, it's not something that's ever occurred to me. My case fits quite happily in the boot of my Focus..

[quote name='Dubs' post='1267024' date='Jun 13 2011, 10:06 AM']It's just my experience though. I couldn't see the point of using a hardcase after I got a good gigbag.[/quote]
I do wonder how well a gigbag would cope with something falling the neck, for example...?

Similarly, I wonder how many passengers on the Titianic were thinking 'Well, it hasn't sunk yet!' right up until the point it hit the iceberg.

...and immediately afterwards thought 'I wish I'd just gone to Blackpool for my holidays this year...' :)

Always a hard case - I'm pretty much always in the van when gigging and I'd just rather not leave anything to chance.

It's simple really, the little bit of extra weight and awkwardness is worth the piece of mind that nothing is going to snap my bass in half!

Occasionally use a gig bag if I'm on public transport, and the bitsa basses both live in gig bags (because I'm running out of space for hardcases) but I'd always pick the safe option.

Hard cases for me every time.
I have just replaced the one I've been using for my JB because it was getting tatty and had a few cracks in places - I don't need a degree in physics to work out what would have happened to my bass if I'd been using a gig bag when those cracks were made.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1267033' date='Jun 13 2011, 10:15 AM']Again, it's not something that's ever occurred to me. My case fits quite happily in the boot of my Focus..

I do wonder how well a gigbag would cope with something falling the neck, for example...?

Similarly, I wonder how many passengers on the Titianic were thinking 'Well, it hasn't sunk yet!' right up until the point it hit the iceberg.

...and immediately afterwards thought 'I wish I'd just gone to Blackpool for my holidays this year...' :)[/quote]

This!! :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1267033' date='Jun 13 2011, 10:15 AM'][b]I do wonder how well a gigbag would cope with something falling the neck, for example...?[/b]

...and immediately afterwards thought 'I wish I'd just gone to Blackpool for my holidays this year...' :)[/quote]

Not bad actually. The case I use has "dual-sided high density ABS plastic shell inside the case" and rediculously thick padding (which also gives a nice snug fit). When I said "decent gig bag", I didn't mean one of the £30 Warwick ones.

Anyway, each to their own, and everyone has to individually assess the risks to their instrument based on their typical usage/trasportation/gigs, etc...

Based on some of the above comments, I can only assume that a lot of you haven't seen or used a decent gigbag? I'm not talking about cheap "business generators", I'm talking about something that costs as much as, if not more than, a good hard case. I've owned cheap hard cases that I wouldn't trust to protect a bass as well as the [url="http://www.oakleighmusic.simply-shops.net/proddetail.php?prod=bodyglove-bass-gigbag"]gigbag I'm currently using[/url].

[quote name='Dubs' post='1267193' date='Jun 13 2011, 12:25 PM']Not bad actually. The case I use has "dual-sided high density ABS plastic shell inside the case" and rediculously thick padding (which also gives a nice snug fit). When I said "decent gig bag", I didn't mean one of the £30 Warwick ones.

Anyway, each to their own, and everyone has to individually assess the risks to their instrument based on their typical usage/trasportation/gigs, etc...

Based on some of the above comments, I can only assume that a lot of you haven't seen or used a decent gigbag? I'm not talking about cheap "business generators", I'm talking about something that costs as much as, if not more than, a good hard case. I've owned cheap hard cases that I wouldn't trust to protect a bass as well as the [url="http://www.oakleighmusic.simply-shops.net/proddetail.php?prod=bodyglove-bass-gigbag"]gigbag I'm currently using[/url].[/quote]
I used to use a couple of these:

Very nice (and pricey) high-quality hard case / soft case halfway-house. After a near miss involving a sliding flight case, I shifted to the Hiscoxes.

I know semi-hard cases have their place, but they're not for me. Each to their own, as you say!

Edited by wateroftyne

As I said before it very much depends on the bass and the mode of transport I'll be using.

Ideally I would use a hard case every time. However some times it simply isn't practical. The Overwaters and the Yamaha bass I own are too big for any gigbags I've seen, but also their hard cases don't fit width-ways into any of the cars we use (even the drummer's massive Volvo Estate) so taking them means putting down part of the back seat, and as we try and travel as light as possible and in one car for out of town gigs at the moment that means I can't take them.

In an ideal world with a decent van for the band, all the instruments would be in good quality hard cases all the time.

I use igigs. Both single and double. Most of my stuff involves carrying the bass about myself, and a hardcase would be a pain. Plus the fact that on my back I've got bass (two if it's a short carry) amp, spares, all my cables and any extra bits all right there in one bag. :)

Then again, my basses are kinda tatty Japanese jazz basses on the whole, when I had an exotic status sixer it did go in a hard case. (unless I was walking!)

Edited by gafbass02

Due to this thread I've now bought myself a decent gigbag at least. The one I've been using was a cheap stagg case I got free with my first bass 5 years ago. Decided spending £30 on a nice padded bag to carry around my spector is probably a worthy investment.

Gig bag, I had a hard case once, it weighed a ton so I ditched it.
Way I see it I don't need that much protection, instruments always go on top of the pile of crap and it's not like i'm gonna throw it into the wall when I get to the gig.

There was a point where I just carried my bass slung over my shoulder much like an axe with no case at all. The only dents it has are from playing in my room and not having a stand for it.

Edited by Ross

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1266182' date='Jun 12 2011, 03:29 PM']Gig bag here too. You can get more stuff in it & it leaves the hands free for carrying the rig to the bus stop :)

Pete.[/quote]

+1.
I find hard cases too cumbersome for travelling on public transport, especially with a suit bag.

Ive yet to find the prefect gig bag, for the past 5 years ive used a very, very, cheap Levys bag that came with my old HW1. The reason being its very compact (lack of padding) but more importantly it hangs on my shoulder. Being just over 6ft i dont want to wear the bag like a ruck sack and so prefer to have the bag hanging off my shoulder so the top is still below head height.

Like Ross, mine is just laid on top of the rest of the gear in the back of the car.

The other bags i love are the EBMM shaped bags but the pockets are pretty small on those.

I do have a Warwick Rockbag which is great, much nicer and well padded but hardly ever use it.

Edited by dave_bass5

hard cases for me, hiscox by preference (as long as there is a suitable one available) the only instruments i have that have gig bags are the bronco ( decided it's not a keeper so didn't bother with a case) and my uke which never goes anywhere.
my entire collection lives on a perpose-built storage rack in the study (double height) with a strap to stop them falling so the hard cases store best for me, i just have a couple of instruments (one acoustic guitar and a bass) on wall hangers for noodling on. the rack looks like an advert for hiscox!

i've had too many near misses now to ever go back to gig bags (favorite trick is to forget how tall i effectively am when caring a gigbag and smacking the neck/headstock into door frames.)

Matt P

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1267199' date='Jun 13 2011, 12:31 PM']I used to use a couple of these:

Very nice (and pricey) high-quality hard case / soft case halfway-house. After a near miss involving a sliding flight case, I shifted to the Hiscoxes.

I know semi-hard cases have their place, but they're not for me. Each to their own, as you say![/quote]
They look good, i'll have to investigate them.
Thanks.