Why become a member? ×

What's your mind set?

TomKent

After having an interesting discussion and realization with 'goblin' on here - I thought I'd see how everyone else is on here.

Might seem silly but, as much as I love playing funk, I'd play for Justin Bieber or.. NDubz, or any of the annoying bands if the money was right.

How do you think?

[quote name='goblin' post='1209752' date='Apr 24 2011, 01:41 AM']I do what I do not for the money, but for doing what I enjoy and my love of music :)[/quote]

I'm this, but the band slag inside would play with any of the annoying.. horrible.. Radio1 loved artists just for the decent'ish money (even though I know some of the mainstream artists pay very little for their bands).

Well there was a time when music was my only source of income and I would be be forced to play crap gigs just to pay the rent. These days I have the luxury to make my excuses when I don't really want to do the gig and I often do.

I always thought I could whore myself and, with financial assistance, overcome any obstacle taste may present but, when working in a studio, I recorded a band whose music I hated so much I discovered the truth about myself: If I don't dig the tunes you're better off I don't show up.

I would do it for certain, Actually the ndubz live gig probably wouldn't be a bad gig and looking at Tulisa all night and maybe sharing a bunk on the tour bus would be enough payment for me!

Also you don't have to stop playing music you do like along side the tripe your getting paid for, fwiw I would rather play for bieber than any of the coldplay/keane/snow patrol etc bands

My immediate answer to this question would be - I have no interest in playing for the money alone and would only play stuff I actually wanted to play, however I am not a professional musician, I do not earn a living playing the bass and as such I have no need to play stuff I don't like.

If I earned my living playing the bass, then I see absolutely no reason why playing for Justin Bieber or anyone else should be an issue and I don't think it's and "if the money's right" situation either. If you earn a living playing the bass and your required pay rate is met what's the problem.

(oh by the way, when I started out playing bass I was full of principles about playing only stuff I liked - this could be a reason I rarely earned any money playing bass :)).

I'd do the gig for sure!
I love playing live, I can find something I enjoy about a song 99% of the time in a live setting....playing live is a very different experience to just listening IMO, it transcends taste preference for me.
Let's face it, biebers band would probably be full of great musicians, you'd always learn from them!

Si

You would play for the horrible little geek as he is as hot as anything right now, AIUI, which means the gig is right up there. With that on your CV you'd get invited to play other gigs on par in stature.

The money would surely be good also, so it is an endorsement of his level and the fact that you are on the same playing-wise.

Why would you not do the Bieber gig if it was offered to you?

It's a high profile gig,touring internationally in huge venues playing to thousands,TV appearances etc.....plus the all the spoils that come with touring with a (currently) big name act.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

There are certainly instances when I would refuse a gig, and , indeed, there [i]have[/i] been.
But there was a gig that we did do (about 15 years ago), that perhaps we shouldn't:
Did several shows in Russia with one corporate in Moscow included. Didn't realise till we hit the stage and saw a hall full of ugly, overweight be-suited men, (and I don't mean politicians, although some possibly were) with young gorgeous women on their arms. :)