Why become a member? ×

When you hit 40!

uke

See when you hit 40, get a bit bald, or grey and undoubtedly the bass man gut! how unfair is it that you can now afford all those toys you could only dream of when you were 21! you went off the radar a wee bit when the kids came along and now you find yourself playing "Free" songs with a few numpties a lot less talented than you!
At least we can take solace in that we have the best gear available, and have like minded friends on here!

Rant over :) It's good to talk :)

I'm hitting 40 this year. Haven't been looking forward to it but thankfully I don't have much grey hair, not much of a belly (thanks to working out 4 times a week), stayed out of the sun when I was a teenager so don't have many wrinkles and I managed to get all the toys I thought I might need before I left the UK. So now its time to get serious about things that are REALLY important...

[quote name='uke' post='1162608' date='Mar 15 2011, 12:11 AM']See when you hit 40, get a bit bald, or grey and undoubtedly the bass man gut! how unfair is it that you can now afford all those toys you could only dream of when you were 21! you went off the radar a wee bit when the kids came along and now you find yourself playing "Free" songs with a few numpties a lot less talented than you!
At least we can take solace in that we have the best gear available, and have like minded friends on here!

Rant over :) It's good to talk :)[/quote]

I hit 40 some time ago, and have been backing up & reversing over it ever since.

Still got all my hideous ginger hair, no more of a fat bastard than I was when I was 30, had a kid once but that's pretty much a distant memory now, still play (mostly) cheap rubbish gear (although I can - and do - afford lots of it), still play in my own originals band playing my own songs with fine musicians, and would shoot myself in the face rather than resign myself to playing covers until arthritis sets in.

One always has choices.

Jon.

When i hit 40, i still had very long hair no grey and no bass man gut! It's unfair now that im 49,32 yr old wife,3 kids under12 and a Harley,still no bassman gut,cant now afford all the toys i had when i was 40,or anything really! Im off the radar kids came along and still love playing "Free" songs .And im going grey/bald.And im joining a band of much less tallented numpties soon.

I think i might have f****d up,but i give less of a toss about it now than i did then. :lol: :) :)

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

I hit 40 a few years back. Seeing as I`d lost my hair in my middle twenties, that wasn`t on the cards, and following a back injury, I`d actually started exercising, so was in better shape than I had been in years.

However I did have the obligatory mid-life crisis:

Had ear pierced again
Bought a sports car
Had a girlfriend of 23
Had my first tattoos
Ended up with an ulcer

Only the last two remain, though it was fun at the time :)

40 ain't so bad. i'm 41 on thursday. now [u]that's[/u] bad ! :)

i am just starting to get things done though. i guess the timely reminder of 40 serves as a kick up the backside.

for my 40th, i went to the strong beer festival in Munich. the wife found me in the hotel bathroom attempting to clean my teeth with the hairdryer.

oh well, que sera !

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1162622' date='Mar 15 2011, 12:56 AM']When i hit 40, i still had very long hair no grey and no bass man gut! It's unfair now that im 49,32 yr old wife,3 kids under12 and a Harley,still no bassman gut,cant now afford all the toys i had when i was 40,or anything really! Im off the radar kids came along and still love playing "Free" songs .And im going grey/bald.And im joining a band of much less tallented numpties soon.

I think i might have f****d up,but i give less of a toss about it now than i did then. :D :lol: :)[/quote]
You certainly haven't f****d up, sounds like you're having a great time, as am I, still love Free also, just want a wee bit more! :)

At 50, with no kids, debts or mortgage, I can afford pretty much any gear I want (except the "silly money" collectors' items), but I've also grown up enough to realise that having more 'stuff' doesn't make me happier (or a better musician), so I don't bother. :)

Turned 50 last year. TBH it hasn't made much of a difference I haven't "grown up" that much since my early 20s when I realised that music was the most important thing to me and I should organise my life accordingly.

So: no kids, no relationships with people who don't share my interests, no car ownership (that's a major reduction in stress). The gut is under control via sensible(-ish) eating and exercise. I can't do much about the grey hair (except creative use of dye - if you're going to do it make it obvious!) but at least I've still got enough to have a proper hairstyle ;-)

Last year I joined a new band with people nearly half my age. They don't have a problem with the fact that technically I'm almost an old git, I don't seem to have any problem keeping up.

IMO it's all about attitude. If you think you're old then your going to feel old.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1162665' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:42 AM']Had my first tattoos[/quote]
Yeah I did that.

Hey 40 is the new 25 surely :). That statement means I now miss my '20s' (turned 50 in 2010, hair going but no bass gut).

[quote name='chris_b' post='1162627' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:03 AM']You discover that the mums are far more interesting and fanciable than their daughters. Did I just say that?[/quote]

I hit 40 this year.... and the daughters will ALWAYS be more interesting than their Mums... :)

I'm 45 later this year...I guess i'm lucky in that I probably look about 10 years younger (on a good day), but I don't think I'd be too worried if I didn't. As someone else said, it's all about attitude to life, and it's not like there's a whole lot you can do about it!

In terms of playing bass and writing music, I think the last 8 years or so have been the most creative and productive period for me so far. I got my own original band together 4 years ago and am having loads of fun doing it. It's the first time I've been in a band since the mid 90's, and it's also the first time I've had so much input into the writing process. For me personally, I now have a lot more confidence in my own ideas as well as much more skills in terms of playing, arranging and recording than I did when i was younger. Somethings definitely do improve with age!

The only negative for me post 40 has been some lower back trouble caused by years of working in IT, but I've recently taken up yoga and upped my general exercise routine, which is helping to keep it at bay. No arthritis thankfully - fingers are still working fine!

I hit 40 last November. It was strange because I felt really down about my age when I hit 39 but wasn't bothered at all when I got to 40 - I think I was over it by then!

Still in an originals band but starting to feel like a tit when I'm giving it some on stage - there's a little voice in the back of my head saying "act your age" - and another voice saying "f*ck it!".

[quote name='redstriper' post='1162618' date='Mar 15 2011, 12:38 AM']you kids crack me up :)[/quote]

+1

I was 50 last year and my bandmates are in their 30s. Don't know why they put up with me really :)