Why become a member? ×

I would NEVER part with my...........

TRBboy

On the flipside of the 'Ever sold a guitar...then wanted it back?' thread, do you have a bass that you would [u][b]never[/b][/u] part with unless it was a life and death situation?

I would never sell my Jazz bass unless I absolutely had to. Other basses have come and gone, but it has been my mainstay for the last 14 years or so and has never let me down.

I had this discussion with Rich ^^^ in a slightly different guise of "if you could only keep one bass, which would it be?" and for all my love of weirdy Gibson basses, I'd have to say that my G&L Tribute L-2000 would be the last one to go.

Yamaha RBX775. Bought by my parents in 2004 as a 21st birthday present, i've since butchered it a bit with a defret and refinish (the latter is getting done again this summer !). It's actually a damned good bass which took me a few years to realise ! Will get it refnished, rewired and back into a useable instrument this year.

Vintage VP6. My first guitar from 2002, bought new for £110 (which would have been a decent 2nd hand price too). It's worth sod all now but me and the VP6 got history ! Very good neck on it and after changing the pickguard from 1 ply white to 3 ply black, it looks awesome. Also has a great sound i've not managed to replicate in other guitars i've tried.

Mine will never be going anywhere for sooo many reasons!

1. It's the first thing i bought with money from my first full time job at 17.

2. It's something i spent 2 years designing.

3. You could never get anything remotely close to the quality of this thing for the price i paid for it.

4. It's the sexiest bass in the whole wide world, and looks even better when someones playing it.

5. It fits my body perfectly, never played another bass that fits as well.

6. It's super light.

7. It's super strong.

8. The base tone is awesome, i often play it in passive mode, and last week had to play into the effects return of an amp. Still a tone to die for!

9. The pickups and electronics are (semi)custom, and the range of sounds is as much as i'll ever need! I play in Reggae, funk, swing, jazz, metal and hip-hop groups and always get the respective 'heads' from each genre telling me my tone is 'up there'!

10. It's the only gigging bass i have.

11. I've had the bass for 7 years now, and i don't nanny it like a precious vase. So it's well battered round the edges. Even if i was offered double what i paid for it, i would still turn it down. The thought of selling it for less is just laughable!

Could think of a load more reasons, but i should probably get back to work :)

It would need to be a real moment of madness for me to consider selling or trading my Status series II. I have actually thought about it a couple of times, but then I wake up and remember that it is not only the best bass I have ever played (for me), but that I have 25 years of history with it. It was my first serious buy when I had my first proper job and I just can't imagine no longer owning it!

Until, maybe, a Warwick Thumb 5 with a thru neck comes along.... Eek!

My '09 4003.

I've had Rics before, and one since, and this is the one I'm keeping. Others have all gone.

Been a bundle of trouble - 2 pickup re-wires, bad QC, etc, but it's got the feel and the true Ric sound which, as I've found in my travels, they sadly don't all have!!