Why become a member? ×

Hard Case For Every Bass?

spongebob

Just wondering how members store their basses.

I normally tend to have a hard case for every one I've owned - just makes it easier for storage and portability.

Always worries me about leaving things on stands - I heard years ago that strings last longer if not left in the open!

I've always been concerned about leaving a bass flat on the floor without neck support that it won't help either.....hence I've always kept every one in a case!

What about everyone else?

I've got a hard case for every bass but if I'm carrying the bass to a gig I'll use my gig bag, because it's much lighter. At home I used to leave one bass out for practicing, but the family didn't seem to take much care around it so these days I keep it in a gig bag.

Don't know about the strings. I change mine every year, whether they need it or not!!

Edited by chris_b

I have two hard cases, for those rare occasion when I need to take a bass (or two) somewhere and I'm concerned about transit. I normally use a gigbag (I have 3 decent ones, Warwick Rockbags, the ones wioth lots of padding and big shoulder straps and pockets) to carry bass plus cables and maybe a tuner if I'm not taking my pedalboard.

At home... the last bass I used for gig/rehearsal may stay in the gigbag, the rest are on a 7-guitar Warwick Rockstand, some against the wall in a corner (direct;y behind the Rockstand, so protected from knocks) and a couple on individual stands.

Proper hard cases for all of them. The vintage ones never get left out on stands as I know from experience that sunlight/UV fades the finish (especially the red in sunburst) & ages the plastic parts - especially the pickguards. And for me - it makes it so much easier to store them when you have quite a few... We moved house last year & it would have been a total nightmare if I'd not had case for all my basses. But it would be nice to have them all out ready to play - maybe I'll invest in one of those touring guitar racks...

Most of mine are high up on wall hangers displayed on wall hangers - three precisions & a jazz on one wall and my danelectro longhorn & a uke are hanging over my desk. I have a few guitars & basses on a multi-guitar stand & my gigging ones are in gigbags next to the desk - NS upright, mustang, thunderbird pro-V & ashbory. All of my hardcases & the rest of the gigbags are in the loft.

I always leave mine in the hard case when I'm not using it, stands are fine as someplace to put it down while your playing but leaving them on one permanently, anything could happen, it falls off the stand , hits the ground nut first an ..... well rest is history (possibly along with your bass to)

Wall hangers are not that bad (still not for me though) hanging on a wall constantly exposed to the elements (sunshine, cold etc)

At the end of the day it takes seconds to flip a couple of catches an open the lid on a case if you need it that quickly !! (like you put your seat belt on soon as you get in your car an pray you never need it etc etc )

I have a total of 3 hard cases at home which give great protection but are too heavy to be practical. I invested in an SKB soft/hard case for transporting my main bass (train/bus, not car).

At home, they live in a Stagg rack, except the one I just used at rehearsal which usually lives in the SKB. I don't have the space to keep them in cases.

All mine are out and ready to play, Fenders on stands and Status basses have an extra strap button on the bottom so just lean up against a wall.

However, if I had a herd of kids running round the place they'd all be locked away to avoid damage.

[i]Edit: The basses locked away, not the kids.[/i]

Edited by Fat Rich

I'm using a SKB 44 RW.
At home i use wall hangers. Live i put a hercules stand : [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_gs414b_gitarrenstaender.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_gs414b_g...renstaender.htm[/url]
When iam travelling i use the SKB 44 RW.
I have different Bass guitars and it safes my basses absolut.
I put my bass guitars in a soft bass bag and then in the SKB 44 RW.
They are very safe. When traveling by car, bus, train and: by plane.
They SKB 44 RW is very comfortable to carry because of the wheels.
The best way is of course when you have a special hard case for each bass.
But i didn't have the space for 4-5 hard cases.
For me it is perfect.

Cheers

Edited by freakbrother

[quote name='danny-79' post='1098750' date='Jan 22 2011, 03:43 PM']I always leave mine in the hard case when I'm not using it, stands are fine as someplace to put it down while your playing but leaving them on one permanently, anything could happen, it falls off the stand , hits the ground nut first an ..... well rest is history (possibly along with your bass to)[/quote]

Same here. Hardcase for storage and transport unless I can keep hold of the bass during transport, then its the Mono Padded Lightcase.

I got rid of all but one of my hard cases a while ago, used to have one for every bass but they take up so much room.

Nowadays the only really expensive bass i have is my Zoot and that lives in it's hard case, the rest are bitsas that are on stands or in soft cases, my Warwick is kept in it's bag too.

When gigging i usually take the Zoot in a hard case and my £45 backup Aria in a bag. I don't mind if the Aria gets knocked oved or marked up (it was like that when i got it) so i don't even use a stand.

All mine are out on a rack, and I feel safe doing so - no kids and only one cat who thankfully ignores them completely and doesn't use them as scratching posts.

I do (now) have a gig bag for each. Only got 1 hard case and it only fits my G&L - the rest have angled headstocks. I'd like to get proper hard cases for my Gibsons at some point - no hurry though as they always seem to be doing the rounds on eBay. I still wouldn't store them in the cases though - instruments are as much about looks as they are for playing. It does mean I have to dust them more often than I would need to if they were put away, but I love the convenience of seeing them all and just picking up and playing the one I want.

3 are in a rack in a spare room, which the door is shut unless im in there and the basses are away from direct sunlight and radiators. I have a jazz bass in the corner off my room, its never going to be sold so i dont mind the odd knock it might get (its a HWY-1 so its just mojo).

My Tobias and Roscoe live in their own branded hardcases,but everything else lives on a stand and gets transported in a gig bag.
My Shuker lives in my iGig case.
I've got a couple of hardcases but I never use them ever. The iGig offers as much protection and is way more practical.

I won't use a gig bag as they don't prevent bending a neck.

I have one I keep in my car just in case I am buying a bass and need to bring it home on the spur of the moment.

All my basses have their own hard cases and they all live on the wall hangers since we get a lot of earthquakes here and stands are not safe at all. So far the hangers have withstood a 5.7 and the basses just sway a lot.

Where I live is supposed to get a really big EQ soon from the San Jacinto Fault, one that will set off the San Andreas fault that will gobble up LA and the southern beach cities in liquefaction when it hits, so I can't trust many things to keep my gear safe in a house or any other sort of building.

The amps, on the other hand! Uh!

Def a hard case for each bass. At home I keep them in a rack, but when they are travelling, they are in a hard case.

I seem to remember a quote from someone on either here or on Talkbass, who had been told by a luthier that they described gig-bags as "good business".

Mine all sit on a Warwick muti-stand rack by my side of the marital bed (well I'm married with kids so I have to do something to exciting in bed :) ). Got a couple of hard cases but these are in my study or under the bed and I use a Mono soft case for gigs.

I have a bassdrobe (not as good as the bassdrobe thread one) but it's the one built in over the stairs in the spare room. It has 3 Musicman hardcases , A Fender usa hardcase (strat!),one gig bag with a Jazz inside and a p bass just stood up inside. There is room behind for my little amps and spare head and a shelf inside for my lead bag and Genz Benz man bag.

I keep my acoustic bass in the bedroom on a stand and keep one bass on a stand in the spare room where I practice at the moment it's the Ray 5. Where others put them out of the light I leave mine out, When I bought my 97 Strat the kid had never played it and kept it shut away (it was an unwanted gift, Wealthy family!) but the neck looked so pale, I left it on a stand with it's back to the sun coming in the back bedroom window for a few weeks and it turned a lovely honey colour, Job done.

As for gigs the bitsa Jazz goes in it's gig bag but there is no way especially with my pre EB that any of the Rays would go to a gig in a bag! As soon as the last note has been played they go away and tucked up the corner furthest from the exit or given to any friends in the audience while we pack away if it's a dog and vicar establishment.

Mine are lying about the place ready to be picked up in an idle moment! Don't know why, but I've never really used hard cases...probably something to do with going to gigs on a Vespa...much easier with a gig bag! In the cold snap recently, I skidded off on some black ice at a very low speed but with my bass on my back. My first response was to defend the bass at all costs; I managed to get away from the bike and skid safely to a halt while staying sat bolt upright with my bass safely protected on my back. Not a bump or scratch on the bass, although the same couldn't be said for my scooter or my bum. It's hard to retain dignity as one pirouettes down the road on one's arse.

Bu,t going back to storage, I need a little reassurance - is it ok to hang basses on wall hangers for prolonged periods? I know they're exposed to the elements and this can have a negative effect on hardware etc. - that doesn't bother me so much - but can hanging a bass have a detrimental effect on the instrument's neck or the finish around the headstock? I hope not!

We're currently in the process of adopting kids and the cold, harsh reality of not being able to leave lovely basses on chairs ready to go whenever the muse descends upon me is slowly kicking in. Any tips from those that parent boisterous kids while guarding precious basses would be greatly appreciated!