Why become a member? ×

Which Strings do you use?

AndyTravis

I usually use Elite Players 40-100, not for any major reason, i've just always used them...but recently i've tried some basses with D'addario Nickel EXL220's and i've ordered a couple of sets for myself.

What do you use, what did you switch from, why?

I know it's all down to you and your bass, I just want to get into the ideas behind some peoples choices.

There may have been one of these before, but I just wanted to get an up to date idea of what people are choosing and why.

Thanks

Trav

Edited by AndyTravis

There was another of these threads a few weeks ago and in decended into a row about why Roto sounds are so crap yet so far 33% of us use them? (not me I was in the "I think there crap" gang! :) ) Im also in the Elites camp as I find them not too bright but not as dull as Rotos after a week and for a reasonable ammount of cash (£30 for two sets with free postage from mark at bass direct)Im sure the DR's are great but I cant afford £150 to restring my main 3 basses at once.

I used Warwick Reds for ages, 40-130, but I've made a big change to 45 gauge nickels. I've been experimenting with various brands... Fenders seemed nice but they stayed bright for seconds, D'Addario XLs were better.
Just for a giggle, I thought I'd try the ultra-cheapo £9-99 Stagg nickels from [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/stagg"]Stringsdirect[/url].
I tell ya what, you would be amazed at just how good they are. One very sweaty gig, two long rehearsals and a studio sesh later, they still sound just as good as when I put them on. Ten quid for a 5-string set. Absurd bargain.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='982132' date='Oct 8 2010, 11:04 PM']I mainly use Elites Stadium series really nice quality strings and last a long long time!
I am looking at trying out some Elites Player series as have heard good reviews about them.

I want to try some flat wounds on one of my basses, any suggestions?[/quote]
Labella 'Deep Talkin' flats...wonderfull strings..

Now: Elixirs
Prev: Ropewound or Elites
Why: 'cos they sound great and last forever
eeeer, that's it really

Changed after I bagged a free set at the London Show 5+ years back. Loved them so much I went back next year and bought a box to keep me going

I use DR Extra Life (Black Beauties and Silver Stars) on my Aria SB1000 and Warwick Streamer Stage 1 4-Stringers and Spector Nickels on my Spector Euro 5LX.

I find the DR Extra Life strings have a nice punch to them and work very well with these basses while the Spector Nickels are more mellow with more sustain and work very well with the Euro 5LX.

Currently D'Addario Chromes on my P bass, Alembic s/ s rounds on my, er, Alembic (really nice strings, very smooth) and EB Slinkies on my Wal. Horses for courses but the Alembics are my current favourites

Edited by Clarky

DR Hi Beams when I want an edgy sound, plus they last a long time. Ernie Ball Slinkys when I want the tone of the bass to come through more, don't last so long but cheaper.

Status Hotwires Groundwound on my phenlic boarded fretless and their Roundwound hexs to give my old Energy bass some extra ooomph.

Rotosound flats on my old P bass funk machine, they went completely dead after 4 days - exactly what I wanted!

Am looking for fairly bright groundwounds for my rosewood fingerboard fretless as the Hotwires are a little too dark sounding.

I seem to be the only person in the world to have some earthing issues with coated strings. :)

I've used Warwick, La Bella, Rotosound, EBS, DR, Elites, Ernie Ball, Fender & Elixirs.

By far my favourite so far are DR Hi beams & fat beams, with EBS's titanium nickels following closely.

The DR's are pricey but for good reason. I'll almost certainly stock up on ebs strings on sunday at bassday as i have done the past 3 years, but the DR's just seem to have something.

Over the years, from the above list, it's probably been a case of flitting from Rotosound to Elites to Ernie Ball to whatever else came my way.
Among the 'whatever else' would be Trace Elliot 5-string (BLX and Regular), Trace Elliot Acoustic Bass, Gibson (previous endorsement) and Smith-Jackson 6-string (bought 3 sets in the US for $25 - bargain!).

Ernie Ball Power Bass strings for me (I think that's what they are called - they are the roundwounds in the purple packet). I've pretty much used them the whole time I have been playing. I flirted with Rotosounds but hated how they felt. I had a bass with Warwick Black Label strings. They sounded great, but I found that they felt odd and my fingers tingled afterwards, suggesting that my skin didn't like them at all.

I'll be trying a set of LaBella flats on a fretless conversion I'm working on, mostly to see if they live up to the hype.