Why become a member? ×

Which Strings do you use?

AndyTravis

[quote name='Sean' post='983248' date='Oct 10 2010, 12:25 PM']I tried a set of Legacy strings from stringsdirect and they are pretty good for £7.99 delivered. There was a Rotosound QA ticket in the box so I guess that's where they are made. Couldn't argue for the money. Try a set and see.[/quote]

I use these a lot, constantly before I turned to the flat side. I liked them more than rotos, and I generally buy as cheap as I can. As long as you give them a good clean off after every gig, they go for ages. Have a spare set lying about ready to go on my J project when it's done, get some roundwound zing for a bit.

Otherwise, fender9050 flats, as they are the cheapest flats I can find, and I like the sound of them, nicely balanced, and a bit zingy for flats, so's you can get a bit of an edge when you need it.

As i mentioned in an earlier post, i bought two sets of Rotosound SM77 monel flatwound hybrid guage strings. I put a set on today and i am completely bowled over at how good they sound on my Squier Classic Vibe jazz bass. So much fuller tone. I am so happy to have bought 2 sets, i must try them on an old Peavey jazzer i have too. Fantastic sound.!

I used to always get Ernie Balls, then I went thru a phase of getting the DR String Peacock Blues but found them way too zingy & the G snapped rather early for my liking.
I then decided to go with flats & went for the TI Jazz 344 flats & love them for their sound & the smoothness of playing & whish I would have found them in the 80s!

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='984446' date='Oct 11 2010, 02:15 PM']Thanks for the replies.

Of all the flatwounds available, which ones sound the most 'modern' on a violin bass (with sustain block)? The roundwounds which it came with can sound a bit bright but I don't want to end up with a deep blunt thud, if you know what I mean, as we also cover modern songs in our set. As a newbie I would prefer strings which are designed for the violin bass so that I can put them straight on as I get the impression that some suggestions involve cutting down longer scale strings to suit the short scale of the bass. I take it that no-one makes half rounds for the VB?

Once again, It would be helpful if they are readily available from the UK or Europe!

Cheers.[/quote]
Happy Jack has a lot of experience with Hofners. Try sending him a PM because he's probably not seen your query in this thread.

The market is somewhat limited in the DBE ranges.... I've used Elites 40-100 for donkeys years. I'm sure there are "better" strings out there, but the price is good and they are consistently "zingy" - which is what I like!

Recently tried some D'Addario Pro Steels on the J copy and Cort. They seem kind of "soft" for the gauge and although they have the "zing", they seem to lack tone to my ears. Might try the next gauge up.... or one day I might bite the bullet and try some "posh" strings!! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='984897' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:52 PM']The market is somewhat limited in the DBE ranges.... I've used Elites 40-100 for donkeys years. I'm sure there are "better" strings out there, but the price is good and they are consistently "zingy" - which is what I like!

Recently tried some D'Addario Pro Steels on the J copy and Cort. They seem kind of "soft" for the gauge and although they have the "zing", they seem to lack tone to my ears. Might try the next gauge up.... or one day I might bite the bullet and try some "posh" strings!! :)[/quote]

You need to try Hotwires my man!!!!

[quote name='Conan' post='984897' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:52 PM']The market is somewhat limited in the DBE ranges.... I've used Elites 40-100 for donkeys years. I'm sure there are "better" strings out there, but the price is good and they are consistently "zingy" - which is what I like!

Recently tried some D'Addario Pro Steels on the J copy and Cort. They seem kind of "soft" for the gauge and although they have the "zing", they seem to lack tone to my ears. Might try the next gauge up.... or one day I might bite the bullet and try some "posh" strings!! :)[/quote]

You need to try Hotwires my man!!!!

[quote name='crez5150' post='982425' date='Oct 9 2010, 11:49 AM']Status Hotwires DBE 35-120 (5 string)
Status Hotwires DBE 35-115 (4 String)[/quote]

MB1. :)
I also Use the Hotwires! (not these gauges though? :lol: )...Which Reminds me! :)

Edited by MB1

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='985830' date='Oct 12 2010, 03:35 PM'][url="http://www.status-graphite.com"]http://www.status-graphite.com[/url][/quote]

Wow! Twelve quid a set if I buy six sets! I don't seem to be able to select gauges though... is 40-100 all they do? :)

Tends to be D'Addario XL Nickel 45-105 on the Jazz, but due to poor supply at the music shop last time it is Roto cheap nickel 35-95s at the mo, they feel like rubber bands but don't sound too bad. I need the extra weight though.

Experimenting with boutique strings is unfortunately quite far down my GAS priority list, however much good it would probably do for my tone considering they are the things actually vibrating in the first place.

• 1 month later...

Have used Elites 40-100 for nearly 20 years on my DBE KGB bass, but I have become a little less satisfied with them of late, so I have tried a couple of alternatives....

La Bella...nice, apart from the E string which sounded like a wet fart..even sent it back to strings direct as I thought it was duff....it wasn't

D'Addario ESXL170 Nickel Wound...impressed at first, but not sure now...not enough bite for the odd little slap and tickle that I like to thow in here and there. Very nice for finger style playing tho....but at £34, they are very expensive

Think I might try some Status Hotwires next...they seem to be rated highly on here...