Why become a member? ×

Which Strings do you use?

AndyTravis

Mainly Rotosound Flats 50-110. Flats because all my favourite records seem to have that sound, heavy gauge because having used 40-100 for years I'm finally a convert to that thicker sound and Rotosound because my local store stocks that brand & I'm a big believer in buying strings from your local shop. I don't mind Fender strings and they are on a couple of my basses and I've bought LaBella Flats before but the difference in price and convenience doesn't justify the additional expense for me

I use lots of different strings but lately have been using Ernie Ball Coated Slinkies.

I tried a set of Legacy strings from stringsdirect and they are pretty good for £7.99 delivered. There was a Rotosound QA ticket in the box so I guess that's where they are made. Couldn't argue for the money. Try a set and see.

I mostly use Hartke strings which I have found surprisingly good despite their inexpensive nature (£12-15 off ebay for 3 sets). Bright sound, and not too rough a feel either. I do have a set of TI Jazz flats on my Epi Les Paul bass at the moment, I love their lower tension/higher compliance compared to some of the flats I've tried (Rotosound and Fender)

[quote name='bottlebassman' post='983245' date='Oct 10 2010, 12:21 PM']Absolutely love them! So much I bought a set and put them on my Jazz bass as well, so I guess I need to say thanks! :) Lovin' the deluxe P by the way, so easy to play.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm glad you're liking it but I'm still missing that P even though I'm also liking what I have instead.

I've still got TI flats on my fretless P and on my acoustic bass guitar.

I used Rotosound roundwounds for years. Then for a while I decided that ernie balls slinkys where the ones for me. I tried DR Fatbeams but found them very inflexible so bought a set of Hi Beams which felt a lot easier to play (and sound pretty good too). BUT I've ended going back to the Rotosounds, simply because they are the sound that I hear in my head when I hear a Jazz Bass. Although the DR Hi Beams come a close second.

Quick plug for Rotosound TruBass tapewounds .......great vintage Motown sound.

quick Edit : I notice that Rotosound swingbass sometimes get a bad press because they feel icky when new and get dull very quickly. I guess I'm lucky because my hands don't sweat much so once they're worn in they don't get dull particularly quickly and when they do I loosen them off for 24hrs and abracadabra they've got their zing back (try it it works).

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='982327' date='Oct 9 2010, 09:49 AM']I've tried loads, including DR's, and the ones I found to keep the zing I like longer than any are D'Addario XL's. I tried their stainless ones but they were no better. I once tried some Skull strings which I was pretty impressed with-must seek them out again.[/quote]

+1 - I use XLs as well and after year of using Elites (which I really liked) and having a near miss with La Bella - I hated them on my bass - I really love D'Addarios - they seem to last ages on my Sei 5 string, even when slapping them they still snap with a little sizzle - though there's nothing quite like a new set that's just been broken in - so second gig with them on this week today - looking forward to it.

M

Tick for the "various light guage flats" box here... :)

MIJ '51 P RI - Ernie Ball Group III flats
CIJ '60s Jazz RI - TI Jazz flats
Musicmaster - TI Jazz flats
Squier VMJ - Chromes
Squier CVJ - Fender 9050 flats (old style)

Edited by tony_m

[quote name='neepheid' post='983257' date='Oct 10 2010, 12:37 PM']I mostly use Hartke strings which I have found surprisingly good despite their inexpensive nature (£12-15 off ebay for 3 sets). Bright sound, and not too rough a feel either.[/quote]

I've found that these work really well on my Epiphone Thunderbird and last for months at the same price for 3 sets as you'd pay for one set of standard strings like Rotos.

In ther past though I've found that Slinkies work really well on Stingrays, Optima Gold and Chrome on '51 Reissue Precisions, TI Flats on Ibanez SR series and Elites on Bass Collection basses.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='983773' date='Oct 10 2010, 08:53 PM']Regarding my Hofner Contemporary Violin bass who in the UK (or Europe) supplies flatwound specifically for them?

Supplier? Make? Name? etc etc would be appreciated[/quote]
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_gold_flatwound.htm"]Pyramid Gold Flatwound Beatle Bass[/url] - the original Hofner Violin Bass string

[url="http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RAPRD/La-Bella-760-FHBB/11001418.html"]La-Bella Hofner Beatle Bass[/url]

Edited by EssentialTension

EB GroupIII flatwounds 45-100
[url="http://www.ernieball.co.uk/products/productdetail/Flatwound+Bass+Group+III+.045+-+.100/part_number=2806/574.1.4.3.5908.23613.22560.5281.0?pp=8&"]http://www.ernieball.co.uk/products/produc...281.0?pp=8&[/url]

They're easy on my fingers and seem to last a long time and keep their twang.

Thanks for the replies.

Of all the flatwounds available, which ones sound the most 'modern' on a violin bass (with sustain block)? The roundwounds which it came with can sound a bit bright but I don't want to end up with a deep blunt thud, if you know what I mean, as we also cover modern songs in our set. As a newbie I would prefer strings which are designed for the violin bass so that I can put them straight on as I get the impression that some suggestions involve cutting down longer scale strings to suit the short scale of the bass. I take it that no-one makes half rounds for the VB?

Once again, It would be helpful if they are readily available from the UK or Europe!

Cheers.

Whatever came on the bass when I bought it!

/facetious mode

Well, my first bass was the Ibby 4-stringer, so not entirely sure what it came with - been on there two-and-a-half years now, and still sounding OK

The Ibanez ATK 5-string I got second-hand - it still looked like it had the original Elixirs (which, TBH looked pretty f**ked) - swapped them out after a few months for a set of Rotosound Stainless Swing mediums. Didn't get on with them (or the bass), so gave the current owner a set of Hartke Bass Attacks when I moved it on. Been on it for nearly a year and still sound good.

Squier came with what I can only guess are the standard Fender 7250ML's. Kept those on there for nearly a year too, only just swapped them for the bottom four strings out of one of my spare Hartke 5-string sets.

That's all folks

Ian